realMyst Masterpiece Edition

realMyst Masterpiece Edition

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 am

Just downloaded and installed from Steam. All went well. Started playing and it looks and works great EXCEPT pressing ESC to access the main menu DOES NOT bring up the main menu...in fact, I can't use my keyboard at all...pressing the windows key doesn't work to get back to the desktop to manually shut the game down and I have to re-start the computer to get out of the game...RealMyst standard and all other Myst related games (and I have them all) work flawlessly...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HAL
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2605 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2801, 8/23/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HAL\Mark
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.97 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 4.97 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Re: realMyst Masterpiece Edition

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Just downloaded and installed realMyst Masterpiece Edition on the same machine as above BUT on the Windows 7 partition...Everything works as it should...Could Windows XP be the culprit? If so, the minimum specs should be changed to eliminate any problems? :shock:
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Well, I don't know what happened cause I didn't change a thing except to switch between partitions...but, GOOD NEWS!!!...It now works in XP as well :D ...so my problem has been resolved...

Postby lteyn63 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 am

I'm running on an iMac, Mountain Lion. I know my video card is below spec, but I have the same problem that the Esc button doesn't bring up the main menu, and I have to force quit the game to get back to the desktop.

Does anyone else have this problem on a Mac?
Nora "L'teyn" Leonard

Member of MystiTech Productions
lteyn63
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:10 am

I'm running on an iMac (OSX 10.9). The game ran fine for a while, but when I entered Stoneship, I started getting black rectangles flickering across the screen. In particular, when I go to a closeup view (on the battery, or the compass rose, or the chest, for example) a black rectangle wipes across the whole screen until I back out. Makes it difficult to proceed, although I managed to get through the puzzles blindly.

(Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB. I'm using default graphics settings.)

(BTW, this subforum needs to be renamed, or else there needs to be a new subforum "realMyst Masterpiece (2014)".)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby lteyn63 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Your graphics card is much higher spec than mine. Mine is ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB, but it was really the not being able to bring up the main menu with escape that is the biggest problem.

I might try turning the graphics settings down when I first enter the game and see if that helps...
Nora "L'teyn" Leonard

lteyn63
Obduction Backer

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Moved this topic to the correct sub-forum (from realMyst (2000) to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)).
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin

Postby lteyn63 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 am

Hi. Just to say that the App Store just alerted me to a patch available to correct the problem I was having, i.e. getting a hang when I tried to access the Main Menu. I've downloaded it, so will have a go later. :)
Nora "L'teyn" Leonard

lteyn63
Obduction Backer

Postby chelidon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm running RealMyst Masterpiece Edition (Apple App Store version) on a Mac Pro, ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card on Apple Cinema Displays (a 30" and a 23"). I had the same problem with the "black screen of death," whereupon viewing certain interactive elements (tower rotation map, planetarium controls, etc), the black screen swept across the screen and while I could activate controls by guessing where they were, there was no way short of backing up in-game, to see anything (and the BSOD appeared every time). This happened both in classic and free-move modes. The solution was to disable auto-detect on graphics quality (which would set graphics at best possible), and manually downgrade graphics quality by one notch. I haven't gone into advanced settings yet to figure out exactly which setting causes the problem, am having too much fun re-playing the game after so many years. The original Myst was what first inspired me to buy a Mac (Power Mac 8500), and get into 3D graphics, video digitizing, sound production, and so many other things (up until that point, I was purely a hard-core programmer/developer). Thanks, guys.
chelidon
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Hm. I was the one with the black-screen problem (I won't say "of death", since the game keeps running and you can play through it if you're determined). Anyhow, I also have two displays -- the iMac built-in 21" and a Dell 24".

Could be coincidence, could be a common factor. I'll add a note to my support request.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Lord Tulla » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 am

I'm somewhat puzzled by the mixed realMyst Masterpiece Edition reviews on Steam. Most of the "issues" identified seem to video related so I went to Cyan's website to look for minimum /recommended Hardware & OS specs and found none. I also could not find them on Steam. One user noted that Steam did not d/l a particular setup file needed to help resolve problems.

So I have to ask where are the realMyst Masterpiece Edition system specs posted? I'd like to know that my system will run the program smoothly before I buy it. Also can anyone else comment on this mysterious missing setup file that seems to be missing from the Steam D/L?

BTW, I've never used Steam before. Will I get all the Win PC files needed to setup and run realMyst Masterpiece Edition in their d/l package?

Is Steam the only place one can get the program?
Cyberpower Zeus Mini II; MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC MB; Intel i5-6600K;16GB; GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB; 16GB DDR4
Lord Tulla
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:55 pm

Lord Tulla wrote:So I have to ask where are the realMyst Masterpiece Edition system specs posted? I'd like to know that my system will run the program smoothly before I buy it.

To find realMyst ME requirements, you can look up requirements for the Unity3D engine. realMyst ME is developed on Unity3D. But I do Unity development and I once went looking for the requirements myself. They are vague at best:

System requirements for Unity-developed Content

Windows XP or later; Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
Pretty much any 3D graphics card, depending on complexity.
Online games run on all browsers, including IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, among others.

Here's the Unity requirements page:
http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby Lord Tulla » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:10 pm

JWPlatt wrote:...Online games run on all browsers, including IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, among others.
JW,
Thanks for the info, but is realMyst Masterpiece Edition only an online playable game? Is there no playing it standalone on one's PC without being tied to the 'net? :|
Cyberpower Zeus Mini II; MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC MB; Intel i5-6600K;16GB; GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB; 16GB DDR4
Lord Tulla
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 pm

realMyst is a stand-alone game for Mac and Windows computers.

The last line of those requirements is for games written for browsers, but realMyst is not one of those games.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby ljbade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:25 pm

The reason Unity don't specify minimums is that it really depends on the game. Cause you could make a lightweight game or you could make a very advanced game.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)