Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Zardoz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am

Ugh. realMyst Masterpiece is not running at all well on my apparently inadequate 4-year old computer, even at low graphic settings. I suspect my graphics card is at fault, but I thought I would post my specifications and see what others think.

Computer: Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon, [email protected], 9.0GB memory
OS: WIndows 7 64-bit
Graphics: NVidia Quadro FX 580

Thoughts?
Zardoz
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 4:22 pm
Location: On the bluff

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Moving this topic to the correct sub-forum (from realMyst (2000) to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)).
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Are you having bad frame-rates? Try resetting the video setting to default on your card. If that does not help I'm sure what to do as I think a lot of people are having frame-rate issues.(we might need a patch)
Jamie Marchant
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Allatwan18 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm having poor graphic performance as well, even on the "low" setting. I figured it was my computer; it's 4 or 5 years old. But even on the low setting?

Dell N5010
Intel Core i3
Just has the Intel HD graphics chip I think...

I'm not too technical, but I know my comp isn't ideal for gaming. I expect a little better on a low setting though.

Still a great game. :)
Allatwan18
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Allatwan18 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:01 pm

To clarify poor graphics performance I mean choppy, even on the low setting. Frame rate issue? Again zero technical knowledge here...
Allatwan18
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Tomala » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Just has the Intel HD graphics chip I think...


Integrated graphics won't work very well with running this game. It'll run it but unfortunately you're not going to be able to up the performance unless you turn most everything down if even that. I would recommend playing this on a system with a dedicated graphics card.
Tomala
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Anywhere

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 am

Did you get the update? I found a significancent performance update afterwards and sometimes the game would auto-choose medium quiltiy(which looks awesome :D). If anyone is having slight profomance issues try going to another age, as Myst seems to be filled with stuff and I always have slow down their. I have a Radon HD 5450 with 1 GB(?) orf video ram, in-case that helps people know 'where they stand'.
Jamie Marchant
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby WeldFord » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 am

I tried Razer Game Booster (http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster) and it worked pretty well : I have been able to put all the settings on high (I deactivated only shadows and vsync)
WeldFord
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Allatwan18 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Tomala wrote:Integrated graphics won't work very well with running this game. It'll run it but unfortunately you're not going to be able to up the performance unless you turn most everything down if even that. I would recommend playing this on a system with a dedicated graphics card.


Kind of what I figured...I've been looking for an excuse to start shopping for a new comp!
Allatwan18
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Tomala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:Did you get the update? I found a significancent performance update afterwards and sometimes the game would auto-choose medium quiltiy(which looks awesome :D). If anyone is having slight profomance issues try going to another age, as Myst seems to be filled with stuff and I always have slow down their. I have a Radon HD 5450 with 1 GB(?) orf video ram, in-case that helps people know 'where they stand'.


Yes, the update does make a significant difference. However the FPS seems to stay at 60 for me. That's a problem with Unity engine though. I played Slender The Arrival the other night which shares the same engine, and it also stayed at 60 fps.

Allatwan18 wrote:
Tomala wrote:Integrated graphics won't work very well with running this game. It'll run it but unfortunately you're not going to be able to up the performance unless you turn most everything down if even that. I would recommend playing this on a system with a dedicated graphics card.


Kind of what I figured...I've been looking for an excuse to start shopping for a new comp!


Yeah, especially with Obduction on the rise. :D
Tomala
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Anywhere

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:04 pm

This could get off-topic but I don't see the point to seeing more then 60 FPS, 30 is all the eye can see and 60 is enough to make things look 'sonic fast'(so fast it's hard to see what's happening). I don't care about more then 30 FPS unless I'm playing something that needs a 'sonic' effect.
Jamie Marchant
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Tomala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:This could get off-topic but I don't see the point to seeing more then 60 FPS, 30 is all the eye can see and 60 is enough to make things look 'sonic fast'(so fast it's hard to see what's happening). I don't care about more then 30 FPS unless I'm playing something that needs a 'sonic' effect.


Tell that to someone with a 120 hertz monitor. Or try telling that to people who record/stream gameplay. They need a higher framerate or the latency will be noticeable when gaming or streaming. But in this case the OP just needs to upgrade their system to improve their performance.
Tomala
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Anywhere

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 am

Uh sorry, never thought of those reasons. I don't have a high herts monitor or do recoding that way.
Jamie Marchant
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Allatwan18 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:32 pm

So what the heck I'll ask people here: any suggestions for a new comp optimal for gaming/graphics? Preferably for a reasonable budget...I don't think I could do much over 1k.
Allatwan18
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Disappointing performance (my computer's fault)

Postby Tomala » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Allatwan18 wrote:So what the heck I'll ask people here: any suggestions for a new comp optimal for gaming/graphics? Preferably for a reasonable budget...I don't think I could do much over 1k.


That depends on what games interest you, and what type of system you would like. Do you want a desktop or are you looking for a laptop?
Tomala
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Anywhere

Next

Return to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron