Transfer saved games to new Mac?

Re: Transfer saved games to new Mac?

Postby korovev » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Off the top of my head: have you tried searching for “myst” instead of “cyan”? Is there anything in Application Support, or Preferences? Also, some programs like to make their own folder directly inside Library.
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Also, be sure you're looking in both Library folders. There's one on the root of the drive, and there's one in your user folder as well. They might be hidden depending on what OS you're running, so you will either need to enable viewing hidden files, or use the go function and type in the path.

to unhide hidden folders and files type the following in terminal: sudo defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

to re-hide hidden folders type the same command in, but instead of TRUE, put in FALSE.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks again for all the previous suggestions. To summarize the problem: I cannot locate the saved games files.

Related facts, things I've tried:
  • I'm running realMyst Masterpiece Edition v1.1.1, purchased in February, 2014.
  • I have an iMac (late 2013), running OS X Mavericks. I'm trying to transfer the saved games files created on a Mac Mini (c. 2009) running the same version of Myst and the same OS version.
  • Cyan Support, and several others here, have indicated that the files should be stored in a folder "Cyan Worlds" at ~/Library/Caches
  • I had several saved games on my Mac Mini, yet there was no such folder on the Mini. I have verified this from two different whole-disk backups.
  • I have saved several "test" games on my iMac, yet there is no such folder on the iMac. I have verified this by several different searches, including the GNU 'find' command run as root, so no folder hiding would have any effect.
  • Since Myst is successfully saving games somewhere (on both computers), I have broadened the search to include any variation of the strings "Cyan" or "Myst" or "World" on any filesystem. No likely candidates for the saved games files or folder has been found.
It took Cyan Support (is the company still alive, by the way?) two weeks to reply to my original support request; a follow-up to that reply has gone unanswered for a month. If anyone here has any further insights, I would love to hear them! TIA.
fischej

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:45 pm

I don't know how the Unix find command works so I don't know if running it as root will allow you to see hidden files. 'Cyan Support' is run by 'Cyan Worlds' who is still alive. I guess Cyan employeers don't use support often: ? Could they be on a netwrok share or flash drive?
Jamie Marchant

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem is. Every support article I can find points to the User Library folder as the location of the save files. Now, User Library folder IS hidden on Mavricks, so it may not show up in searches. I know it won't show up in spotlight search, and command-line search methods (even logged in as root) may not see it without some switch set.

There are only two methods I know of to make sure you are seeing things in that directory structure:
1) Use the "Go To" feature in Finder (it's at the bottom of the "Go" menu), and type in the path : \Users\<User Name>\Library\Caches\
OR
2) use the command string I gave you earlier to unhide folders. Then you can easily look for it in Finder without worrying about hidden folders.

It has to be there. I can't imagine that Cyan would have a special version just for you that put it somewhere else.

As for Cyan Support, please understand that Cyan is a very small company, and like many of those, it's very likely they don't have dedicated support staff. It just costs too much. Plus, they are in full Obduction mode at the moment, so free time to answer support can be hard.

You can also try PMing some of the staff here on the forum. You might get a faster response that way.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Hokay, I think I have this little mystery figured out.

In the user Library folder (not the root Library folder), under Containers (not Caches), you will find the folder com.cyanworlds.realmystme. I will suggest that you copy this folder and its contents to your new install hard drive (in a holding area), though you probably will only need this part:

/Library/Containers/com.cyanworlds.realmystme/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.cyanworlds.realmystme.savedState/

In the above path/folder, you will find three files, data.data, window_1.data, windows.plist. All three of these files are updated whenever you play RMME.

Let us know if this works for you. :)

BTW, here are the search parameters that helped me to find this:

• Opened RMME and changed a couple of states on Myst Island (threw a marker switch and changed the clock tower time)
  • Searched my HD with the following parameters "last modified date is today" and "system files are included"
  • One of the hits was the com.cyanworlds.realmystme folder
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 am

I have RealMyst:ME, and on my Mac the saved games are under "Library/Caches/unity.Cyan Worlds.realMyst". Note that the final folder name is different from what people have said upthread.

(This is OSX 10.9.5, and I bought RMME through Steam rather than the Mac App Store.)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for the data point belford. :)

I bought my copy of RMME from the Mac App store, which might explain why our save locations are different... I most definitely do not have a similar folder in either of my Library/Cache directories, and I'm also on OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

It will be interesting to see if fischej can find either of these folders on his setup.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks again for the help! So restoring the com.cyanworlds.realmystme folder was actually one of the first things I tried. BUT I did not manually verify the contents of that folder, I simply replaced the current one (which does have the contents noted by Ainia) with the backup. I just did the restore again, but this time put the folder on my Desktop so I could look inside first. Lo and behold, it looks like an incomplete backup! There is no Saved Application State sub-folder (among other missing items) in the backup version of the folder. So we may indeed be on the path to solving this riddle (might make a good in-game puzzle for a Cyan game, eh?), but verification will have to wait until I have the time to fire up the old computer again and try to get the folder directly. Stay tuned...
fischej

Postby Ainia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Progress!! :D Praise be to Atrus, Yeesha, Yahvo and the Bahro!! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)