Transfer saved games to new Mac?

Transfer saved games to new Mac?

Postby fischej » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

I had several saved game states, plus current, on my Mac Mini. I just got a new iMac (and boy does realMyst scream on that!). Unfortunately, I seem to have lost all my saved games. I tried restoring ~/Library/Containers/com.cyanwords.realmystme from backup, but no joy. How can I pick up where I left off on my new Mac? Thanks.

[I sent this request to Cyan Support over a week ago...are they still in operation? Anyway, thought I'd try my luck on the forum.]
fischej

Re: Transfer saved games to new Mac?

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Your save files should be located in the following folder: \Users\<User Name>\Library\Caches\Cyan Worlds\
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks. I'd seen that path mentioned before, but unfortunately, there is no "Cyan Worlds" folder at ~/Library/Caches on my computer. In fact, the only file on my computer that has "cyan" in its name is the one I replaced from backup (~/Library/Containers/com.cyanwords.realmystme), which had no effect.
fischej

Postby Ainia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:56 am

Don't forget that there will be two separate Library folders on your Mac (a global and a personal); be sure to check both.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 am

On newer OSXes the personal library folder is also hidden for inexplicable reasons. You need to open it from the Finder's Go To menu while holding down the alt/option key.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby fischej » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies dgelessus and Ainia. Unfortunately, there simply is no folder "Cyan Worlds" on my HD. In fact, I've done a complete search (including System folders) of my entire Mac HD, both from the Finder and from the command line, and there is only one folder that has the string "cyan" or "Cyan" in it (~/Library/Containers/com.cyanwords.realmystme).

The program is successfully saving game states, but where? Something is not right, because I got basically the same advice to yours from Cyan support (they finally replied). I'm starting to wonder if I have a different variant of the program perhaps? The application file on my HD is "realMyst.app", 2.28GB, version string is "realMyst (c) Cyan Worlds, Inc.". I purchased it via iTunes on 5/10/2009.
fischej

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:19 am

OK! Now I see the problem. We were assuming that you had the new version of realMyst that was just released, the Masterpiece Edition. You have the older one.

I believe that the save files are located in the .app folder itself on that one. So what you want to do is either right click, or option-click the app to bring up the context menu. Select "open container". This gets you inside the app folder. There should be a folder called Game Data, and then "sav".

Note: I'm pretty sure it's option-click. If not it might be ctrl-click instead.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Well, at least one mystery solved, but unfortunately, still no saved games. Inside the .app folder, there is no folder Game Data. There is a folder "Data", but inside that there is no file or folder with "sav" anywhere in its name. Furthermore, I restored the realMyst.app file (all 2.3 GB of it) from two separate backups; when launched, neither had my saved games (each acted as though it was being launched for the first time), which tends to indicate the saved game files were not stored in the .app container.

So, if there are any other theories as to where these saved games are kept, I'm all ears. And I do appreciate all the help so far.
fischej

Postby Ainia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 am

Shorah again Fischer,

If you are running realMyst for Mac, then I assume you are on an older Mac with an older OS, right? Something that still uses Rosetta?
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:16 pm

No. I'm actually running it on a brand-new iMac (3.4GHz Core i5) and Mac OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks).
fischej

Postby Ainia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:04 pm

fischej wrote:No. I'm actually running it on a brand-new iMac (3.4GHz Core i5) and Mac OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

Ok, then I'm having a hard time understanding how you are running it at all... realMyst for Mac was developed to work on Mac PPC systems and after Apple went to OSX/Linux, worked only on the earlier versions of OSX that still used Rosetta (i.e. before Lion).

If you are using Mavericks, then the only way I can think of for you to run the old realMyst is by using the Windows version via an emulator or via Wine/Crossover. In which case, your saved games will be located in the typical Windows location (wherever that might be); or inside the wrapper; or possibly in an OSX Library setting associated with the wrapper.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 am

I don’t think he is running the original realMyst, that was probably a wrong conclusion on the part of Magic88889. All signs point to realMyst Masterpiece, in particular the size of 2.28 GB. (The version on mine says “Unity Player version 4.2.2f1 (54f0fc09defb). (c) 2013 Unity Technologies ApS. All rights reserved.” and not “realMyst (c) Cyan Worlds, Inc.” but that may be a difference between the Humble and the App Store version.)

Unfortunately I can’t help with the actual question at the moment, I’ve never tried to figure out where it saves its state.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 am

fischej wrote:Thanks for the replies dgelessus and Ainia. Unfortunately, there simply is no folder "Cyan Worlds" on my HD. In fact, I've done a complete search (including System folders) of my entire Mac HD, both from the Finder and from the command line, and there is only one folder that has the string "cyan" or "Cyan" in it (~/Library/Containers/com.cyanwords.realmystme).

The program is successfully saving game states, but where? Something is not right, because I got basically the same advice to yours from Cyan support (they finally replied). I'm starting to wonder if I have a different variant of the program perhaps? The application file on my HD is "realMyst.app", 2.28GB, version string is "realMyst (c) Cyan Worlds, Inc.". I purchased it via iTunes on 5/10/2009.

Um, yeah, there are a lot of things that don't make sense here. For instance, the only version of Myst available through iTunes is the iOS one, which will run only on an iPhone or iPad, not an iMac. And the purchase date is well before RMME hit the market.

Basically, the information here just doesn't add up, though I can't imagine why he'd be pulling our collective legs over this... :?
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 am

Heh, I was just assuming “iTunes” was a slip and he meant to say “Mac App Store”, but you’re right, the date is suspicious. It’s a few days after the initial release of Myst for iOS. So, if we want to continue the guessing game, my updated guess is that he has both Myst for iOS and realMyst Masterpiece for Mac and is mixing up the two. :mrgreen:
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby fischej » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 am

I appreciate all the detective work :). I assure you I am not pulling anyone's leg, but I did make a significant (and in hindsight, fairly embarrassing) error in the previous information, sorry. The receipt I previously found was for the iOS version; the real purchase receipt for the Mac app version was dated 2/16/2014 for the purchase of "realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, v1.1.1 (12+)" for $17.99.

So what to make of this? Apparently from what everyone is telling me, there should be a "Cyan Worlds" folder at ~/Library/Caches/, yet on my computer there is not. Not now on the new computer, nor before on the old one, according to two different complete backup copies. I've searched by all normal means, and even from the command line, as root, starting from /, looking for the string "*orlds" in any file or folder. Other than finding the "Two Worlds" album by Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour in my iTunes library, nothing. Yet, on both the old and new computers, game states were/are saved. I'll keep poking at this...if I can't remember within five years when I bought the game, Lord knows I could be making some other horribly obvious error, but for the moment, I'm stumped.
fischej

Next

Return to realMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014)