Riven: save game and load saved game bug(SOLVED)

Riven: save game and load saved game bug(SOLVED)

Postby Artic_Wagon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Btw I have the same bug with the Myst game.

My system: Windows 7 64bit
Using QuickTime 4.1.2

Hello,

I can install my games and play them but if I want to save, the "save as" window is oversize on the right and bottom sides. Note that one of my Riven image I do not have a side scroll bar. The bottom scroll bar cannot be seen either.

Image: https://s3.postimg.org/6qpwngbnn/RIVEN_ ... WINDOW.png

I did a long search on the net all the fix for the resize of the "save as" window but none have worked.

Sample fix: http://superuser.com/questions/417867/r ... -windows-7

Maybe it could work on normal windows application but it does not inside the Riven or Myst games.

Your help would much appreciated.
Thank you.
Last edited by Artic_Wagon on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artic_Wagon

Re: Riven: save game and load saved game bug

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Which version of Riven are you using?
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm

I am using the Myst Masterpiece edition.(10 th anniversary edition dvd)

Thank you.
Artic_Wagon

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:30 pm

That's a really old version. The issue is probably related to the low resolution of Riven. It just wasn't designed to work with today's HD screens. Maybe try raising the resolution in the game settings?

You could try using ScummVM, but it's not officially supported. I tried to find some instructions on how to do it and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/myst/comments/ ... _on_newer/
That should work for Myst as well. I've never used this method, so I have no idea how well it works, but I have used ScummVM on a number of other older games, and usually it works pretty well, with some minor glitches.
Note: the ScummVM system has it's own save system you can use if Riven's still doesn't work.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you'll probably have to buy a newer version of the game that's been patched to run on newer system. I know GOG has them both (that's the version I have, worked great last time I played it). Not sure about Steam, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had it too.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 am

Well I do not have an active PayPal account anymore. So I guess it is too bad.

I will have to find older games which use different saved applications. ;)

Thank you for your lost time o my bug. :oops:
Artic_Wagon

Postby korovev » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:58 am

Regarding ScummVM...
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:07 am

korovev wrote:Regarding ScummVM...

I could not find a QT.qts file on my Myst dvd and the QT 6.3 refuses to install on the Myst installation. (it says something about an unknown error.) So lets forget about trying to play both games.
Artic_Wagon

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 am

korovev wrote:Regarding ScummVM...

Unless I'm mistaken, those instructions are to install the game. Artic_Wagon already has the game installed, but is having an issue with the save dialog box.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 pm

My point is that there’s a choice between fiddling with outdated software and esoteric parameters just to see the save window, or use ScummVM and just play. Having the games already installed means the ‘required files’ are all there, one just have to click a couple of buttons. The only problem is that ScummVM doesn’t recognize the original save files, but uses its own.
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:50 am

I am still looking for a regular fix.

Facts:
1- I am able to save a few Riven games. Since the save folder is in the Riven folder and since I have no access to the "ok" buttom in the oversize window, I am able to click the keyboard enter key which allowed me to save a few games at the beginning.

2- I wonder why the oversize "save as" window ? It seem that is is showing at desktop resolution while the game is played at lower (default ?) resolution.

3- Is it a windows 7 or a game bug ?

edit
4- Would it be a good idea to ask Cyan for a patch for the Riven & Myst games ?

Btw, I am able to play the Syberia 1 game with only a small bug when reducing the game through the Window key to the task bar. Usually, I get a small black window and a 2nd Syberia icon on the task bar which can be deleted (Icon & black window or maybe should I said blank black screen image)
Artic_Wagon

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:52 am

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find a "regular" fix for this. I think Cyan is very unlikely to develop a patch for an old game. Especially considering there are full working versions available. All we have are workarounds, which are common on older games.

I'm unsure whether this is a game bug or a OS bug. I think it might simply be a resolution issue, as when Riven was designed HD displays just didn't exist. I think the most common resolution at the time was 640x480. More expensive monitors probably maxed out at 800x600. You current 1920x1080 or higher is really different.

As for Syberia, believe it or not, that actually came out 5 years after Riven did, which is an eternity when talking about computers, so it is far more likely to work on today's systems.

Right now your options are pretty clear. (1) Try using ScummVM (free). I've heard people have good results with this. (2) Get the GOG or Steam version (about $10). I know this works because this is the version I am currently using. (3) Either get an old computer or use a virtual machine with an old version of Windows on it. (potentially free if you have an older version of Windows laying around)

I wish I could be more help, but as I don't have the 10th anniversary edition (just the original 5 disc version!), or a computer running Win7, there's not much more I can do.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Thank you for the response Magic88889.

I was only wishing for an easy fix for new players (not computer genius) to get acquainted with older Cyan games they could have been given by older members of their family or friends. (I no longer have my old windows XP pc)

If CYAN won't care why should I. :shock:

Artic Wagon salutes you.

Edit:
I did a test and tried to install ScummVm. version 1.9.0 and I got error about unnamed missing dell. Like I always say "that progress for you !".
Artic_Wagon

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:24 pm

The easy fix would be to buy the game from GOG. That version has already been patched and configured to run perfectly (or close enough). I know I've said that before, and I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing it on you, but if you really want a simple and easy way to play old games, that's usually your best option.

But if you really want to try the old disc version, I can try and help you get ScummVM running. It shouldn't be too hard.

1) Download the version from this page: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html You want the "latest development build". You need this version in order for it to work with Riven. The regular version won't work.
The upside of this one is that you just put the folder somewhere. No installation required. Just click the .exe

2) Make sure you have all these files in the Riven folder: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... el_to_Myst
The should all already be there because you installed the game, but best to check. If something isn't there just find in on the disc, and copy it over.

3) Open ScummVM, click "Add Game", navigate to the Riven folder, click OK, and you should be good to go. Just highlight Riven from the menu, and click start.

4) You might want to check out the Options menu before you start playing, specifically the fullscreen mode and the aspect ratio correction. You shouldn't have to mess with the other options, although you might find things look or sound better if you do.

Just remember that you have to use the ScummVM save system, as the built-in one won't work (something I discovered researching this). Menu is accessed by pressing F5.

If you have any problems let us know, and we'll try and figure out the solutions.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Artic_Wagon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:08 am

Edit

Hi Magic88889,

1- Thank you for your links. I will give them a try. ;)
2- In my first attemp I did not notice the window 64 version + its tree possible versions.
3- I couldn't find the Riven folder under Program Files(X86)/ubisoft/Riven (out the 3 folders presents)=(a-Cyan worlds Myst Uru cc/b- Myst Masterpiece Edition /c- Riven.
The scummvm add games menu is not so evident for a newbie like me. Am I supposed to add one game or all the 3 games ?

Lets go very slowly about this please. I am very old :lol:

See you

Edit

When scummvm asked me to choose a directory I do not know what it is talking about.
Artic_Wagon

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:02 am

To add Riven, you need to find the folder you installed the game to. It should be called "Riven", and be located somewhere in one of the Program Files folders.
Just select the folder, and then click OK. ScummVM should automatically detect the game and add it to the menu.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveeuMNBumc
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to Riven (PC)