Myst III in a window?

For installation issues, account problems, problems entering the game, etc.

Myst III in a window?

Postby xfullmetal17 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 am

I've read that it's possible to have Myst III run in a window, as opposed to fullscreen, through "slight edits" to the .exe file. Try as I may, I can't seem to find *what* those edits are though, and was curious if anyone knew what they may be. I'm on the CD version of the game.

My main reasoning for wanting a window is because I was considering streaming a semi-blind playthrough of it, and unless I capture from a secondary computer there doesn't seem to be a way to break out of the fullscreen Exile and be able to resume playing once it reloads.

(I've tried using d3dwindower, while it does put Exile in a window there's no picture and my mouse cursor freezes outside the window until I click, at which point Exile is no longer focused. Using dxwnd results in the game crashing before getting to the graphics select screen.)

I've read about ResidualVM, and if that's the only way to do it I can just use that.
xfullmetal17
Obduction Backer

Re: Myst III in a window?

Postby dgelessus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 am

I've been able to run certain fullscreen-only games in a window using a tool called DxWnd. (The download is hosted on SourceForge, so be careful that you don't click on any ads pretending to be download links.) I don't really know if this will work with Myst III, but the game only requires DirectX 8, which is fairly old, so with a bit of luck it will work.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby korovev » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:13 am

There are a few instructions for ResidualVM here; that or DxWnd are probably the easiest ways.

Keep in mind that ResidualVM lets you play windowed but not resized, so you’d have to work with a very small window. An elaborate way of playing at any resolution would be using an emulator and an old version of Windows.

I remember a hack of sort, but it was for Myst ME, and I’m not even sure we could post about it here (it’s sort-of cracking the game).
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby xfullmetal17 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I hadn't seen that dxwnd had an updated version, may give that a shot and see if it plays nicer with Windows 10. Else I could always try loading it into a Linux VM and wine and see what horrors that unleashes.

edit: I've managed to at least get it into a window in software rendering, but the window is still blank. Looks like ResidualVM might be my best bet.
xfullmetal17
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 am

I play all of the Myst games in a Windows XP virtual machine, which allows them to be windowed as a result.
Twitch

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 am

AFIK Myst III is still in Beta for ResidualVM. Just keep that in mind.

EDIT: This means you will need a 'daily build'.
Jamie Marchant

Postby korovev » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 pm

It’s in the standard build since 2015.
Myst and Riven require a daily build with ScummVM, but it appears that is going to change soon.
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Oops! misread the Wiki :oops:
Jamie Marchant

Return to Technical Discussion