Page 1 of 1

Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 am
by delia
Hello~

Does anyone know how to run the GOG version of EOA on Mac (mtn lion)? Korovev gave me some links to the installers for III, IV + V a while back... However, the Myst V installer wants me to insert the disk... Which I don't have...

Here is the Myst V installer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... index.html

Do I need a Wineskin (umm, version? :P ) or....? If your suggestion is Crossover, I simply can't afford it, unfortunately.

Thanks again, in advance!

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:08 pm
by korovev
PaulTheTall used to have a Wineskin wrapper, but has recently switched to Crossover CrossTies (I don’t know if you can make permanent wrappers with the Trial version).
You could try one of my wrappers for MOULa (I’d try the usual 2.6.0/1.7.18 first) :D You’ll have of course to redirect the wrapper to the Myst V installer, as with Uru CC. EDIT: added link to tutorial for future reference. Here’s Ainia’s one from the same thread.

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 pm
by delia
Hello again, Korovev :)

Well (surprise, surprise) its not working for me...

Here is what I did:

1. Dropped the installer (setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.exe) in the drive_c folder.

2. Launched Wineskin.

3. Selected 'Advanced'.

4. Hit 'Browse' on the 'Windows EXE' line.

5. Selected the installer from drive_c, which looks like '/setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.exe' in the 'Windows EXE' line.
* the 'Menubar Name' says 'Uru Live', but I don't remember having to change the name last time (?). Just for the
heck of it, I tried this process again but changed the Menubar Name to 'Myst5' *

6. Hit 'Test Run', which finished by saying 'Test Run Complete! Do you wish to view the Test Run Logs?'. I can view or cancel; when viewed, there are a zillion lines that are gobbldegook to me, but the last line says:
'\\setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.tmp" failed, status c0000005'

Failed is pretty clear :(

I've also tried just using the 'Install Software' button, both from the initial Wineskin launch window and from the Advanced window, but I had to move the installer back to do that because I couldn't get to drive_c to select the installer there :P

*Edit* : Sorry, I should've said that when I try the "Install Software" button I get the ' Oops! No new executables found!' error.

Oh, if this would just work the way it is supposed to for once :?

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:00 pm
by Ainia
Hi delia,

You can try my Wineskin wrapper/dmg here (164.5MB). I used PaulTheTall's wrapper in it and it seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5), installing the GOG version of End of Ages.

The wrapper uses the WS9Wine1.5.9 engine and the Wineskin 2.5.8 wrapper.

Also, when installing the software (Install Software -> Choose Setup Executable), in my case I have the GOG file in my Downloads folder, so I point there during the installation process (and then later I stash the GOG file into an archive folder "just in case").

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:14 pm
by delia
Thank you, Ainia! :)

I don't understand WHY these never seem to work right for me...

Trying it now. Was there anything in my last post, re the steps I took to install, that look wrong to you?

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:21 pm
by Ainia
delia wrote:Hello again, Korovev :)

Well (surprise, surprise) its not working for me...

Here is what I did:

1. Dropped the installer (setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.exe) in the drive_c folder.

2. Launched Wineskin.

3. Selected 'Advanced'.

4. Hit 'Browse' on the 'Windows EXE' line.

This is the executable file used to *run* the game (not *install* the game). You won't be able to select the correct "Windows EXE" file until *after* the game is installed successfully.

delia wrote:5. Selected the installer from drive_c, which looks like '/setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.exe' in the 'Windows EXE' line.
* the 'Menubar Name' says 'Uru Live', but I don't remember having to change the name last time (?). Just for the
heck of it, I tried this process again but changed the Menubar Name to 'Myst5' *

6. Hit 'Test Run', which finished by saying 'Test Run Complete! Do you wish to view the Test Run Logs?'. I can view or cancel; when viewed, there are a zillion lines that are gobbldegook to me, but the last line says:
'\\setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.tmp" failed, status c0000005'

Failed is pretty clear :(

This looks like your test run was trying to run the game using the game installer file (as you'd configured it in your step 5 above). So it makes perfect sense that the test run failed since you cannot run the game itself from the installer.

delia wrote:I've also tried just using the 'Install Software' button, both from the initial Wineskin launch window and from the Advanced window, but I had to move the installer back to do that because I couldn't get to drive_c to select the installer there :P

*Edit* : Sorry, I should've said that when I try the "Install Software" button I get the ' Oops! No new executables found!' error.

Oh, if this would just work the way it is supposed to for once :?

To install the software, you *always* should use the "Install Software" button. After the game installs successfully, *then* you will configure the "Windows EXE" to use the file "eoa.exe". You won't be able to do this step until after the software is installed. :) Once you get past this point, can you do a successful test run.

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 am
by korovev
Ehm, setup_myst5_2.0.0.9.exe is indeed the name of the installer, eoa.exe is that of the game itself.

You should have 3 setup_myst5_2.0.0.9-#.bin files that should be in the same folder along with the installer. Nonetheless, using the wrapper I used for Uru: CC the installation halts midway for me, so a lower version is probably needed. I’ll try with Ainia’s wrapper later this evening.

The Install Software button and the Windows exe field are basically two ways to configure the same thing, the wrapper just creates the environment to run that exe. Though it seems that sometimes the wrapper doesn’t like references to files outside the drive_c folder (probably permissions issues).

The Menubar name is just that, the name you see in the menubar when you launch the wrapper. It can be anything, but I guess it should match the actual content :D
You can also fill in a version number, I use that e.g. with MOULa.

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:13 pm
by korovev
Correction: I thought the installation halted, but it actually completed :)
Pointing the wrapper to eoa.exe launched the game with no problems (well, actually it hangs when Yeesha shows up, but that is a video card problem that you shouldn’t have).
Similar results with Ainia’s and my 1.5.21 wrappers.

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:27 pm
by delia
Sorry for the late reply... my backwoods internet went down :)

Ainia, that PaulTheTall wrapper worked, first shot! Woohoo!

Thank you both, once again. You guys are AWESOME!!!

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:35 pm
by Ainia
Have fun delia!! :mrgreen:

Re: Install the GOG version of EOA on Mac?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:20 am
by klausness
PaulTheTall has included his wrappers in Porting Kit ( http://portingkit.com/ ), which handles most of the details automatically. It worked well for me with Myst V and Uru Complete Chronicles.