Some Thoughts About Obduction

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Some Thoughts About Obduction

Postby azel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:42 pm

(deleted comment)

Fine, but I disagree.

Also, as I said, I paid to support Obduction. I'll support whatever games CYAN makes, but I just happen to prefer MYST related games and I think they will sell better than games not connected to the MYST world.
Last edited by azel on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.
azel

Re: Some Thoughts About Obduction

Postby Mac_Fife » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:59 am

Two things immediately come to mind:
  1. You seem to have specific things you've found you like but here you seem to be confusing what you like and the producers of what you like . The creators of Star Wars and Star Trek also make other things, so why shouldn't Cyan? They've always made other things.
  2. You must have "tried" Star Wars and Star Trek in order to learn that you enjoy those, so why not give Obduction the same respect?
Your attitude seems to be rather inconsistent and nonsensical :? .
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby korovev » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:41 am

It could be argued that, strictly speaking, Obduction does exist ‘in the Myst universe’.

You might be interested in the Black Moiety project.
KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:36 am

Perhaps CYAN is tired of making MYST games, and I can understand this, but...

There's really no "but" there. If they aren't excited by the idea of Myst any more, or if they are out of Myst-related ideas, then going back there would be a mistake.

And if they do have new and different Myst/Riven ideas, maybe you won't like them! The surest way to be disappointed is to cling to your memories of an experience from 20 years ago.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

A couple of things:

Obduction and another Myst game are not necessarily either/or - Rand has said several times that Cyan would be open to the possibility of making another Myst game in the future. Just because they wanted to work on Obduction doesn't necessarily mean that door is closed. :) In the meantime, there are some cool Riven-related fan projects in progress that you might want to check out, including the Black Moiety project as mentioned and also Starry Expanse.

I would also say that it's really easy to use your imagination that Obduction is in the same multiverse as Myst. (Without getting spoilery, there's a pretty strong clue that can be taken to mean that at least one person from D'ni came to Hunrath.) The cool thing about the Tree of Possibilities is that just about anything can exist, and the way the D'ni linked to their Ages is not necessarily mutually exclusive to another system existing somewhere out there in the infinite worlds. Obduction may not be a Myst game, but it's not incompatible with the Myst universe. Just because Cyan didn't label it a Myst game doesn't mean that you can't headcanon that it's part of the same set of stories.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion