Is Cyan Doing Double?

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Is Cyan Doing Double?

Postby Yali » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:49 pm

I just had a quick reread on the news surrounding the Myst TV show...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2692568/ ... -show.html

and I quote...

"“Cyan’s goal in working with Legendary is not just to create a compelling TV drama but to develop a true transmedia product that will include a companion video game that extends the story across both media,” said Cyan’s Blake Lewin.

The article continues to say:

"Sure, Cyan’s already working on a spiritual successor to Myst in the form of Obduction, but why not work on a Myst “sequel” at the same time?"

Never really thought of it, but does this mean Cyan is working on not one but two games at once? :o I had the impression another dev would make the tie-in game due to Obduction being the primary focus, but if Cyan is making a new Myst-related game on the side, then that makes me all tingly inside! :mrgreen:

Also, I wonder when we can expect this new show and game. Greydragon posted the article for voting "which Legendary series are we most excited for in 2015". You read right, 2015. .. This is gonna be a big year for Cyan! :mrgreen:

Rand and crew, I wish you all the luck in the world! You guys deserve it! ;)
Yali
Obduction Backer

Re: Is Cyan Doing Double?

Postby belford » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:53 pm

I believe they said in a different interview that Cyan would focus on Obduction rather than making parallel Myst content.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 pm

In other words, someone else would produce the companion game.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby Main_Avvie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

JWPlatt wrote:In other words, someone else would produce the companion game.

That's not the impression I got. Not necessarily (un)true, but Cyan has been pretty explicit that Obduction is the be-all and end-all of their development business at this time. When (or if - god I hope not) it comes to it, I don't know of anything to suggest that Cyan wouldn't be involved in the production and development of this so-called 'companion' game.

Of course, I can't speak for them. Unless anyone else knows otherwise, much of what we have about the Myst tv show(?) deal is speculation - other than that it exists (in theory) and that there will be some sort of companion app or title involved.

I would prefer Cyan to be directly involved anyway because it will give them something to do and because they do what they do best. Sure, Presto did a solid on Myst 3 and if anyone Telltale could make a Myst game like nobody's business (among other notable developers).

I don't think Cyan has even explicitly stated that they're done with Myst. They've been rather explicit about being done with Uru (at least in its present form). At most they've said that they're taking a break from Myst with Obduction which pretty much goes without saying anyway.

The thing that gets me is that if Obduction takes off and becomes a thing Cyan could have a new franchise series to contend with.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Main_Avvie wrote:...if Obduction takes off and becomes a thing Cyan could have a new franchise series to contend with.

If it enjoys the same success as Myst and gets put on a similar schedule, we should look forward to an Obduction TV series fairly soon after 2037. ;)
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby Main_Avvie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:22 pm

JWPlatt wrote:
Main_Avvie wrote:...if Obduction takes off and becomes a thing Cyan could have a new franchise series to contend with.

If it enjoys the same success as Myst and gets put on a similar schedule, we should look forward to an Obduction TV series fairly soon after 2037. ;)

HA! So ... we've got some time then?
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Tai'lahr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:19 am

JWPlatt wrote:If it enjoys the same success as Myst and gets put on a similar schedule, we should look forward to an Obduction TV series fairly soon after 2037. ;)

Given the advances made in recent years, that "similar schedule" for Obduction could be less than half the time it took from the release of the Myst game to the Myst television show.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby LuigiHann » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Obduction is estimated to release at some point in late 2015, and even if it goes behind schedule, it's likely that the TV show is still at the very beginning of the planning phase, so it's possible that Obduction will be finished in time for Cyan to create the show game (probably a mobile game and probably not as big of a deal as Obduction) afterward.

It's also possible that Cyan could do design and Legendary could hire an outside firm to actually build the game. As long as they're held to high standards that wouldn't be too bad either.
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 am

JWPallet wrote: In other words, someone else would produce the companion game.

Oh I wonder who that would be, hmm too bad Pesto Studios is defunct.
Jamie Marchant

Postby matthornb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 am

I imagine Cyan would have to be involved in some capacity to ensure quality control, and you never know, they might actually be developing the game themselves.

Note Obduction Update 44, in which Ryan Warzecha says he met some big Myst nerds who convinced him to put more on his plate. (What was that about? I don't know, but he says we'll find out more in the future. I'm curious about who those Myst fans were and what they were asking him to do.)

Also, "Pesto" Studios? That typo makes it sound like the Myst III devs were an Italian restaurant. :)
Matthew L. Hornbostel, creator of Panoramic Worlds,
a Myst fansite, and
various other stuff.
matthornb

Postby Graizur » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:36 am

No. I do not believe Cyan is doing double work, I believe they are working 100% on Obduction and the development on Obduction is opening up doors for continued development on the MYST Franchise in the future. Perhaps one of the reasons we have not heard from Legendary on their Transmedia MYST project being run through Asylum Entertainment and Five33 Ltd is that Legendary is waiting for Cyan to Gold Obduction.

I'd be ready for them to completely throw away URU and start from scratch on a TV series integrated social media game App. FarmVille D'ni style might not be completely bad.

On the other hand I don't see why they would have to start from scratch since the best demographic to go after is the demographic of people who would be into a DRC faux docudrama series.
Graizur
Obduction Backer

Postby Marcello » Mon May 18, 2015 12:49 am

I have been thinking about this too. My first thought was that the show related game might profit from what is already there for Uru. But, although I consider Uru to still be amazing, it might me too outdated. However Cyan is gaining so much experience with a not-Cyan engine that I can't imagine them not thinking about how the U4 engine could be used for new Myst games. A Uru overhaul might be hard to pull off, but I do think the Uru concept would be great to accompany a show.
Marcello
Obduction Backer

Postby Yali » Mon May 18, 2015 1:45 pm

One word: Revival

Honestly I'm more in favor of Cyan/Cyan licensed company rebooting Uru in UE4 and taking a massive influence from these guys. Read the website and the following YouTube links, its very in depth.

Warning: Language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoeR_LxUYQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rugKeRt6vlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=560hvrkcQ-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4x4Gwqv2c

What Uru needs (which in many ways it already started) is a complete living breathing world. Live storytelling, live events, player-driven politics (i.e Guild system), in cavern housing, the ability to own a manor with enough status/wealth, crafting, restoring D'ni luxuries, a real in cavern economy where you could own a D'ni shop and sell goods. Maybe become a navigator of the D'ni lake and courier people around, a mix of D'ni npcs like Esher/Zandi mixed with live-acted characters. Way less instancing, in fact large public ages or sections of ages like Teledahn.

Other ideas like bringing out real story conflict between the various factions, i.e the DRC, Watson, Yeesha, the good bahro/bad bahro, the Guilds, the D'ni survivors on Releeshahn, maybe bring in the Moeity. Explorable Releeshahn, D'ni caverns and tunnels, etc.

Uru did a lot of the initial concepts behind these but I feel Revival fleshes them out much more with real impact such as the importance of roleplaying through real in game mechanics like trading, the economy, owning land, influencing the story through writing books and dropping notes, being directed to new stories through developer influence much like the DRC/Sharper visits.

Not forgetting things like explorer age writing, becoming a guild master, or KI/tech supervisor, etc. Also group-based puzzles like opening the Great Shaft along with repeatable content like Heek or the Garrison Wall. I want to feel invested in the world like its a real place which would mean less focus on the journeys and more systems and gameplay that can ground me in the universe, repeatable content like owning shops, homes, surveying ages, maintaining ages, DRC/D'ni liaison work, etc.

There's so much unresolved potential in the MMO world. Revival is the first game I see going "all out" to create a living breathing virtual reality universe experience since Uru. I think if Cyan ever considers attempting the Uru story again, they should look at this budding trend in gaming, which in many ways they sort of started.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion