Competition Time!!!!!

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Competition Time!!!!!

Postby numinous » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I recently made some Uru Journey Cloth bookmarks. They are replicas of the bookmarks in Uru that you use to "shortcut" from Relto to the last Journey cloth you touched in each Age. If you've read the other post I made on these you'll know I had a hard time deciding what to do with them, ie sell them or trade them or "something else entirely". Well this right here is that something else entirley.

An ARG/Puzzle Hunt Giveaway competition Extravaganza!!!!!!!

Over the next few weeks I'll be giving anyone who wants to play along a chance to win one of the bookmarks I've made. On top of that I've put the call out to a number of the artists and creators in the Myst fandom community who have also happily contributed to the prize pool, so not only will there be bonus stage prizes but there will also be a GRAND PRIZE DRAW to culminate the competition!!

The Prizes

~ Stage Prizes ~

The winner of each stage will recieve an Uru Journey Cloth bookmark. Some of the items donated by other creators will also be added to the stage prizes (what prize for what stage is yet to be decided).

~ Grand Prize ~

All correct solutions received during the competition period will receive an entry into the Grand Prize Draw.

Prizes include:

A Riven Eye pendant made by Christina Hawkes
A copy of The Book of Atrus graphic novel, vol1 by Heather Larkin
A pendant made by David Pirkle
A Riven Icon bracelet made by Addison
A Gehn's Crest replica modeled by BFdesigns
A pair of dog tags printed with Myst designs
A custom D'ni mandala keychain by Geri Ambrose
A poster of your choice from Keith Lord's store.
A Fat Quarter (27" x 18") of Black Ships cloth by Claire Hummel
A notebook and some laser engraved wooden fate tokens from Eleri and the team of the Unwritten RPG.
AND a Riven Agate Window replica as made by me! :)

The rules

This is a fan run competition. This is NOT run by Cyan.

The competition is divided into ten seperate stages (or Ages if you will). Each stage will run for approximately one week. Only the first ten correct responses will be entered into the stage prize draw. The winner will be selected using a random number generator. ALL correct responses recieved during the running time of each individual stage will be entered into the Grand Prize Draw. Only one entry per person per stage, but if you enter each stage correctly that means you will receive ten entries into the Grand Prize Draw.

To be clear.... EVERYONE who submits a correct entry while the stage is open receives an entry into the Grand Prize draw. ONLY the first ten correct entrants are in the draw for the bookmark.

Some of the puzzles will require specific tools to complete. These range from pen and paper to image editing software (I use PhotoShop but you could just as easily go to http://www.online-image-editor.com/ and achieve the same results). ALL tools are readily available or accesible online. Google is your friend!

The most important tool you'll need is the very cliched YOUR OWN BRAIN, and of course a good knowledge of all things Myst and D'ni.

Also please remember, this is a competition. I don't want to discourage discussion and cooperation but I'd rather people "win" on their own merrit.

To qualify for the draw, solutions to the puzzles must be emailed to me. Please DO NOT post the solutions to the forums.

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by numinous on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
numinous
Obduction Backer

Re: Competition Time!!!!!

Postby numinous » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Here are the prizes for your perusal :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christina, aka Rivenwanderer, is providing one of her beautiful hand-made Riven eyeball pendants (I already have one of these in my collection and I love it!). Etched in a 1 1/8" brass disc, patinaed and polished, and domed slightly to make the Rivenese eyeball design come alive.

Visit rivenwanderer.deviantart.com/ or http://www.etsy.com/shop/purpleshiny to see more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geri, aka Cloudmarsh, is providing some 3D printed, custom D'ni name keychains. You might have also seen these in the lostinmyst giveaway on tumblr (and if you haven't, then why not?)

Visit lostinmyst.tumblr.com/ or cloudmarsh.tumblr.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David, aka Pirkleations, is providing four pendants/lockets featuring a Journey Cloth, KI device, Maintainers symbol, and a Riven five. The round lockets are 1/2" in size and the Yeesha Hand Journey Cloth Locket is 3/4".

All four are functional, metal lockets.

You can check out David's other work at his Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Pirkleations) and ebay page (http://www.ebay.com/usr/pirkleations) or at his DeviantArt page (pirkleations.deviantart.com/). He even sells fully Cyan authorised Journey Cloths and PotS Cloths!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Addison has contributed five hand made, double wrap, bracelets. Each has one of the creature symbols used in solving the Tay Linking Room puzzle. The larger sized ones can be worn as necklaces, if desired, and the charms are detachable so that the bracelets can be worn on their own. Some Myst and Riven fans may recall seeing these 3D creature charms previously as they were posted on her Tumblr and Facebook. The idea came about for a costume project she's currently working on and the charms were meant for testing purposes. Now the original charm prototypes are up for grabs as jewellery.

Addison is also planning on selling some items in the not too distant future so keep an eye on her tumblr at sewn-in-stories.tumblr.com for future news

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eleri and the Unwritten RPG team are donating some of the notebooks and laser engraved wooden fate tokens that were used as rewards for the Kickstarter campaign. The notebooks are made of 100% recycled materials, with a natural chipboard cover printed with the Unwritten logo. The Tokens feature the Hall of Kings, Great Tree logo from Uru.

If you missed the Kickstarter you can visit http://www.unwrittenrpg.com/ to find out more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On top of the amazing prizes supplied by other fans and creators in the community I've added some cool things I found on the web.....

One of my favourite of all the fan works is Heather Larkins Book of Atrus comic. Heather initially published this as an online comic but has since been given permission to release a print copy. Currently they aren't available for purchase so this is a spare copy that I purchased when they were first released. Hopefully Heather will be selling them again soon.

The whole comic can be viewed online at mystcomic.smackjeeves.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found this amazing Gehn's Crest design while looking on Shapeways and just had to add it to the prizes. losstinmyst on tumblr and also Cyan themselves posted a version apparently "forged in bronze, by Tones Turner". I've not been able to track down he source of that post but it's clearly the same 3D printed design by "BFdesigns" and made by Shapeways. I've had one printed in Polished Grey Steel for the lucky Grand Prize Winner!

If you don't win and want to purchase your own head to http://www.shapeways.com/product/VME83A ... n-pentacle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also adding a poster, of the winner's choice, from Keith Lord's store (aka Tweek). He has three great Myst related designs, "Catherine", "The Fissure", and his latest addition "The Grower". The posters are 23" x 17" in size.

Posters, and a number of other items featuring Keith's art are available at society6.com/greyskies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire Hummel (aka Shoomlah) has made a design based on the Black Ships cloth found in one of Sirrus's drawers in the Stoneship age of Myst. It's available for all to purchase at Spoonflower. I have included in the prize package a "Fat Quarter" (27" x 18") of Black Ships cloth, printed on Silky Faille, for you to fold up and hide in a drawer for unwary travellers to discover.

Claire's design can be purchased at spoonflower.com/fabric/3328176

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A simple, yet (I think) cool addition to the prizes will be a pair of dog tags printed with Myst designs. I have a number of concepts that can be chosen from, or if you like you can choose something else, and I'll do my best to accomodate. (Pictured are just some mock-ups I did in photoshop, not the actual product.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And last, but not least, I'm making another of my famous(?) Riven Agate Window replicas just for this competition. These look just like the real prop used by Cyan during the making of Riven (well pretty darn close anyway, lol). I've started work on it and will hopefully have it completed by the end of the competition. Just in time to send to the lucky winner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now added to the list, thanks to a kind donation by Talldarkmystere, is a digital copy of Obduction when the game is released! If you've already secured you copy via the Kickstarter this would make a great present for someone else and an awesome way to introduce someone new into Cyan's universe! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by numinous on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:07 pm

YES
Twitch

Postby tommyap » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 am

The quality of prizes (marvelous) suggest a very tough competition indeed.
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby numinous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 am

The difficulty depends on your experience. Some stages are harder then others but all are tailored to the Myst fan. The more a fan you are the easier I think it will be, but yes you're right, it's not going to be "easy". ;-)
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 pm

numinous wrote:To qualify for the draw, solutions to the puzzles must be emailed to me

Ok, what is your email address? Please post it with a space in it to prevent bots from using it.
Jamie Marchant

Postby numinous » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:39 pm

My email address is part of the 1st Age puzzle. You'll find it when you follow the clues ;-)
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:07 am

Aw clever!
Jamie Marchant

Postby Fay » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 am

This looks awesome! I want that KI pendant so much! :D I'm a big fan of David's work :)
Uru Explorer: Fay - I also go by the name Fay Everdunes on Facebook/Steam.
Fay
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Age 2 starting tonight?
Twitch

Postby numinous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 pm

I was thinking I'd give everyone until the end of the Easter weekend to have a go at the 1st Age. Come Monday I'll push the stop button. Anyone still working on the puzzle, this is your last chance! :-)

I think the next few stages are probably a little easier then the first anyway. If you're frustrated by the 1st Age puzzle don't despair, perhaps one of the other stages will be more suited to your knowledge and experiences.
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Buzzle1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Excellent, thanks numinous. I'm still trying, although quite stumped at the moment. (I do think I'm making progress though.)
KI# 00223556
Buzzle1
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Aww, and I was so excited to get started. Why not start age 2 tonight, and just have them both active over the weekend?
Twitch

Postby numinous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Twitch - primarily because people will need the competition email address for all the other stages and if I post it publicly before the first stage is over then it completely ruins the first puzzle, lol. I'm glad you're eager but you'll just have to wait :-)
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm getting the Impression that the first age turned out harder then it was meant too be. Well maybe I'll solve the second age.
Jamie Marchant

Next

Return to General Discussion