New D'ni word

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

New D'ni word

Postby numinous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:52 am

Ok so the topic name is only slightly misleading. The truth is I have uncovered a previously known D'ni word that has, up until this point, been misinterpreted.

During the making of my puzzle stages I wanted to use the Riven Journals and needed something that was unique about one of them. The fourth journal contained a word written in D'ni that when transliterated said "behhahpo". Since it is in the Journal regarding the Riven Sunner creature, and is in fact written on an "evolution diagram" of the Sunner, everyone has assumed that it was simply the D'ni name for this creature. I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight before using behhhapo in a puzzle but I couldn't find any official confirmation of this, and even the D'ni dictionary sites stated that it was an unsure translation, so I emailed RAWA concerning it. He was not only able to confirm that it wasn't the Sunner's name, but he also gave me the correct translation.

In RAWA's words:

The Sunners (our nickname for them), being a Riven creature, do not have an official D'ni name. I remember giving them a Rivenese name that I don't believe was ever used anywhere, but have not been able to find it.

As for Behahpo,
hah-po (D'ni font: hapo) is a verb for "combine / mix"
behah-po (D'ni font: behapo) would be the infinitive form "to combine" or "to mix"

DeviantArt page with my Myst replicas http://numinous80.deviantart.com/
Check out my Riven website "Riven Illuminated" at http://mystarchive.com/rivenil/
numinous
Obduction Backer

Re: New D'ni word

Postby Tai'lahr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Great find, Numinous! Thanks for seeking out the facts and sharing them with us.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby korovev » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:21 am

Nice! Now we have a word for “mixology”: hahpotahv :)
KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 pm

That is great! I will try and use that at the next URU 'Fun House' event :)
Jamie Marchant

Return to General Discussion