Cyans' Future After Obduction

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Cyans' Future After Obduction

Postby Charura » Wed May 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Getting vamped about June coming up and the eventual release of Obduction..I was wondering if Cyan has anything else 'up their sleeve' for the future? Anyone heard anything?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Re: Cyans' Future After Obduction

Postby JWPlatt » Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes, Something Else™.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby azel » Sun May 15, 2016 9:56 am

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Obduction is their first game unrelated to the MYST series, so if they break with their MYST games where do they go next? I'm one of the Obduction Kickstarter supporters, and I do wish CYAN well.
azel

Postby JWPlatt » Sun May 15, 2016 7:28 pm

I suspect Cyan would consider anything with a compelling story that people want to experience - Myst, not Myst or Something Else™.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby belford » Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 pm

If Obduction does well enough to fund a sequel: an Obduction sequel.
If Obduction does okay enough that Cyan can interest a publisher in a sequel: an Obduction sequel.
If Obduction does poorly: nothing, everybody gets laid off (again).

I don't really see an outcome that leads anywhere else. If they hoist a proposal for anything else, it would have to be self-evidently better than Obduction -- or else they'd have to have an argument that an Obduction series is a bad idea.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:55 pm

I know that during the kickstarter Rand said that there is more of the Obduction story to tell, if they get a chance. I know because I asked the question about possible sequels. So they're willing. But as belford said, it all depends on how well Obduction does.

Although I think that Obduction would have to do spectacularly poor to actually shut Cyan down. Those guys are a resilient bunch, and I know they have other things bringing in the money.

Plus there's that Myst TV show tie-in game. And they've hinted at other projects in the works.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Agesage » Sat May 21, 2016 2:01 pm

With the success of 'The Witness' and 'Talos Principle' one would think publishers couldn't say no if the creators of the original Myst knocked on their door. I guess it all depends on how well Obduction does.
Agesage

Return to General Discussion