User Cleanup

Find announcements about Cyan forums (forum rules, forum downtime, etc) here.

User Cleanup

Postby Hannah » Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey all,

I've been doing some major cleanup on the member's list within the past couple of days to remove accounts created by spambots within the past 7 1/2 years or so (these forums share the same users as mystonline.com, which has been up and running since 2006). Last summer before CYAN Forums went up, I reduced the members list from ~604,000 down to ~52,000 users. Between then and now, 16,000 accounts have been created (both by humans and by spambots), bringing the total back up to ~68,000.

Within the past couple of days I've been back at Cyan, I've reduced the users list from about 68,000 members to ~42,000. I have observed that there are < 20,000 accounts created by actual human beings with good intentions, so there is still some work to be done.

Please note that this process is pretty risky and it's hard to find an exact pattern match to accounts created by bots in comparison to actual user-created accounts (especially now that I've cut the list down to less than 10% of its original size), so this could lead to some users being removed who are actually human/don't have a malicious intent. The chances of this happening are somewhat small, but have no fear -- I am not deleting accounts; I am simply just moving them to a different table.

PM me or send an email to [email protected] if you believe an account has been moved in mistake.
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements