Sirrus' Channelwood message

General discussion about realMyst.

Sirrus' Channelwood message

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:17 am

One thing I was always confused about in realMyst: The message Sirrus left on the imager in Channelwood is totally different to the one in Myst.

It seems to be a different take of what is basically the same dialogue (which I won't write out, since this is a non-spoiler forum). But in my opinion, it's not as good a performance. The dialogue is rushed, some parts are skipped, he seems less like he's acting and more like he's reading the lines. Also the overall video quality seems much worse. I've always wondered why they decided to use this alternative take in realMyst, when every single other Sirrus/Achenar video is straight out of Myst.

I'm kind of hoping they'll go back to the original take in realMyst: Masterpiece Edition. In general, I'm wondering how they'll deal with the Sirrus/Achenar footage. There's been some discussion on this forum about whether Cyan has the original recordings -- it would be exceedingly cool if they could go back to the original source material, clean it up and present it in high resolution. If not, well it looks like the realMyst videos seem to be taken out of Myst, and re-compressed with some bad 1990s codec, so they are double-compressed. Hopefully at least they will go back to the original Myst videos and convert them into a good modern video format that's hardly lossy.
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Re: Sirrus' Channelwood message

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:34 am

For whatever reason, the message we see in realMyst is from the original Mac version. They actually re-recorded it for when they released it to PC.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Oh, that makes more sense then! Still, I hope realMyst Masterpiece Edition has the Myst PC version of that speech.
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Postby EccentricOne » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:53 am

Was the alternate version first in the PC version or did it come out later for Myst: Masterpiece Edition? IIRC, one thing interesting about that version is that Sirrus does not have a beard. Maybe this is due to being a reshoot, and Robyn Miller had shaved at the time.
EccentricOne
Obduction Backer

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm

The original PC version had the same clip as Masterpiece Edition. (In fact, Masterpiece Edition is almost identical to the original PC release, in terms of the engine, the music*, etc.)

*In both the original PC version, and Masterpiece, all of the music tracks are cut short. To get the full tracks, you either need the official soundtrack, the original Mac version, or realMyst. Kind of awful for Mac users that they "upgraded" to Masterpiece edition and got short music tracks (assuming Mac Masterpiece is the same as PC Masterpiece).
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Nope, just tested, realMyst: Masterpiece Edition has the same version as realMyst (the original Mac version).
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion