Great game

General discussion about realMyst.

Great game

Postby Snusmumriken » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice new approach to a company website. Never seen anything like it. I just got to post!
We play ios realMYST in the family and navigation is very nice, it is enjoyed for the scenery by a couple of family members, played as a game by one, and enjoyed for the nostalgia by two. I only tried the mac osx version before and it did not appeal to me. Is the windows version better or the same as the mac game. If it is better than the mac version, how do you think it compares to the ios game. Anyone?
Snusmumriken
Obduction Backer

Re: Great game

Postby CrisGer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Real Myst was a major step in the planning of URU and was a chance for Cyan to move into full 3D. They were as usual ahead of the curve by a long way, and set the standard for such for many others to follow. RM is still a wonderful iteration of the Myst title and fun to play and explore. Esp for families. Such a nice contrast to the games that are made almost everywhere now. Thank goodness for Cyan.
URU MOUL Lives
Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin
"We Build Worlds"
CrisGer

Postby dragossh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

The iOS version is way better than the current PC / Mac versions. It has much better graphics, a modern engine on which is easy to tweak and add content and port to multiple platforms, and is actually running well. The PC version is choppy and crashy on modern cards / OSes and is a bit dated graphics-wise. That said, there's one thing the iOS version doesn't have: day-night cycles :(
dragossh
Obduction Backer

Postby Mystler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 am

I would still like to see the Unity version of realMyst on my PC. Using Unity for a remake of realMyst is a great idea and also allows versions for several platforms. So, it's a bit sad to have it on iOS only. Not everyone has an iPad.
Mystler
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 am

dragossh wrote:That said, there's one thing the iOS version doesn't have: day-night cycles :(

Whew. Seriously, I find day-night cycles in video games pretty annoying, especially if you can't turn them off. That is, unless they are important to the storyline or gameplay.

But I must say that the iOS realMYST is really great. I literally got it a few minutes ago, and except from the frustrating status bar on the linking loading screen everything I saw was great. Never got the realMYST for PC, so I can't compare, but definetely better than the Masterpiece Edition (duh).
I like how there is an "exclusive" hint sketch in the Mechanical journal, which wasn't there in the original.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Vector Cramp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:23 am

dgelessus wrote:I like how there is an "exclusive" hint sketch in the Mechanical journal, which wasn't there in the original.

There is? Hmm, I guess I didn't notice it. What is it of?
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 am

Vector Cramp wrote:
dgelessus wrote:I like how there is an "exclusive" hint sketch in the Mechanical journal, which wasn't there in the original.

There is? Hmm, I guess I didn't notice it. What is it of?

Maybe it's just in the iPad version. It shows how the fortress rotation controls work, and explains quite a lot. The important part is that it shows how the circular track is inclined, so the fortress snaps to the four cardinal directions.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Baladria » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 am

Mystler wrote:So, it's a bit sad to have it on iOS only. Not everyone has an iPad.

Amen to that!
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Postby Erik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 pm

The current edition of RealMyst for PC is very similar to the iOS version. I think I would prefer the iOS version because navigation feels more natural by using fingers. There is hardly any difference in the graphics.

However, currently, a remake of RealMyst for PC is in the works! So when that version will be out, it will be a big difference.

Cyan posted some sneak peeks at their Facebook page.
For example: picture of Myst Island
Erik
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:37 am

Yes, Erik, this looks and sounds absolutely intriguing and promising ... Looking forward to it ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby LuigiHann » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

Those screenshots (especially Myst Island) look way more different than I expected. The foliage especially looks awesome. Can't wait. :mrgreen:
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 am

They do look promising, though I think they're still works in progress - if you'll look, certain objects mysteriously don't have shadows or reflections. I think it's just an obligatory sneak peek since yesterday was the 20th anniversary and all.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 am

For the sake of "completeness", I'll add that the update announcement is also posted on Cyan's News page - http://cyan.com/realmyst-update/ - for those that don't want to soil their hands with Facebook :P
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

Hmm, so I guess they're calling it "realMyst: Masterpiece Edition." I wonder when it will be released.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:40 am

Mac_Fife wrote:For the sake of "completeness", I'll add that the update announcement is also posted on Cyan's News page - http://cyan.com/realmyst-update/ - for those that don't want to soil their hands with Facebook :P

Thanks, Mac, now it is even more real and definite ... :D

Edit: As for soiling ones hands with Fb lol, I'd like to add that I'm not on Fb and one can nonetheless watch those pages, I even get my RSS feed updates for Cyan's Fb announcements (which don't work for these forums here still btw (those for the MOUL forums are still working) ;) ) ... yeah, just sayin' ... :mrgreen:
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to General Discussion