[Spoilers] Rime and Riven

General discussion about realMyst.

Re: [Spoilers] Rime and Riven

Postby Ainia » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Graizur wrote:"The Stranger" is a relationship between the U in URU and the multi-dimensional universe of the D'ni.

Kind of like your theorecptical ability to travel back in time and change the present, but only the parts that you don't know about, because the rules of reality account for conciousness.

I'm paraphrasing (superphrasing?) what I've read in several interviews I've read and interviews so many of us have watched where Cyan, specifically Rand or Robyn Miller talk about the player is you. In my shard it is I who rescued Atrus from his prison and then ventured into Riven with on a mission , and some books Atrus had given.

This depends on which of the Millers you hold as the "authority" on the D'ni and Myst universe. This very long MOULa thread provides some enlightening points about the differences between Robyn and Rand/RAWA's perspectives on this.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Graizur » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:47 pm

In an infinite universe there is room for every possibility.
Graizur
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:43 am

dgelessus wrote:But then the stranger would have known Atrus before Myst, which obviously isn't the case. If I were trapped in D'ni and a long-time friend of mine came to help me, I certainly wouldn't greet them with "who the devil are you?"

Under the games-adapted-from-Katran’s-journals canon, that wouldn’t be that much of a problem: he just didn’t act like that.

Talashar wrote:But if he showed up in the linking cage on Riven, there'd be a significant risk that Gehn would decide to return to his investigations of the Fissure, now that he suspects it's a way to reach D'ni...

I didn’t thought of that, but Gehn might have not cared about who he was throwing in the Fissure, or forgot about him. And again, under the games-adapted-from-Katran’s-journals canon, we don’t know how much the games match the real events.
On the other hand, once in Tay, the Stranger could have counted on the Moiety assistance in capturing Gehn, instead of relying on him using a trap book.
KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

For 'linking armor' I'm assuming that you mean the maintainer suits. The explanation for there being two different types is simple, there are actually two different types. The big one is older. It's harder to move in, but it worked just fine for the Maintainer's guild to test out new worlds.

I don't remember where it was said, but I believe that the lighter-weight ones were developed after the creation of new type of stone, that was still incredibly strong, but much lighter than nara.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Magic88889 wrote:new type of stone, that was still incredibly strong, but much lighter than nara.

Deretheni
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Main_Avvie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Magic88889 wrote:For 'linking armor' I'm assuming that you mean the maintainer suits. The explanation for there being two different types is simple, there are actually two different types. The big one is older. It's harder to move in, but it worked just fine for the Maintainer's guild to test out new worlds.

I don't remember where it was said, but I believe that the lighter-weight ones were developed after the creation of new type of stone, that was still incredibly strong, but much lighter than nara.

I don't think the Suits on display in Gahreesen are even mobile. They look like capsules to me. Someone crawls inside, links, stays only long enough to take a look around and record some readings before the suits mechanism automatically links them back as described in BoD.

There are certainly multiple models. The one described in BoD was mobile, but so bulky that mobility was severely limited. It must have been meant to be able to explore at least a few steps in any direction, or at least turn.

Obviously, as described in the Gahreesen Journal, the wearable maintainer suit for the wall was advanced technology; possibly a prototype. I figure that it never saw any actual use in the field, or perhaps very limited use. It seems to be the pinnacle of maintainer suit design that provides uninhibited mobility while still providing adequate protection to the wearer. I always gathered that it was being tested on the wall prior to use in the field, but was never deployed for obvious reasons.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 pm

The ultra-thick one with no knees is clearly immobile; it's the first stage suit just used to make sure a link doesn't go to a supernova or something like that. It links, waits a couple of seconds, and then links back automatically. That's it. I just don't get how it's supposed to link back into a rotating fort.
Twitch

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:27 am

How do the books we use link us into a rotating fort?
Jamie Marchant

Postby Main_Avvie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:How do the books we use link us into a rotating fort?

The Gahreesen journal describes how the D'ni would do it. Something about a 'timing mechanism' built into the book. Presumably the mechanism would be synched to the tower's rotation and notify or enable the user to link when appropriate.

Most of the links to Gahreesen are stones, and they function differently from books.

The only book that Links to Gahreesen links to the very center of the smaller complex, the position of which never changes.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Main_Avvie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Twitch wrote:The ultra-thick one with no knees is clearly immobile; it's the first stage suit just used to make sure a link doesn't go to a supernova or something like that. It links, waits a couple of seconds, and then links back automatically. That's it. I just don't get how it's supposed to link back into a rotating fort.

It may not have. It could have just been on display or in storage there.

Moreover I don't know why a 'suit' would even be necessary. You'd think they could just link an unmanned probe? IDK, does linking work that way or does a person have to act as a medium? That suit does appear man-shaped so I would assume it was meant to contain a person.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:05 am

Since when can inanimate objects use linking panels by themselves?
Twitch

Postby Main_Avvie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Twitch wrote:Since when can inanimate objects use linking panels by themselves?

That's the question I posed. I think flesh and blood has to act as a medium, which is why a protective suit is necessary and an unmanned probe would be impossible. Actually having to physically use the link has always been the convention, at least. I know of no instance of any inanimate material being able to link without a person to take it with them.

In the Book of Ti'anna (BoT) the suit is described as having a mechanism that would automatically press the suit wearers hand against the linking panel after so much time has passed.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am

Rawa has stated that organic material is required to engage the link, which is why Gehn's able to link while wearing his gloves.

KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Here's one of the more illuminating quotes from The Watson Letters:

...living tissue is required to establish a link, but some dead organic material (like the outer layer of your skin, for example) will not interfere. Gehn’s gloves, it would seem, fall into the category of dead organic materials that don’t interfere.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes, that. It's been a while since I read those.

KathAveara
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion