Uh, Flashlight?

General discussion about realMyst.

Uh, Flashlight?

Postby Vector Cramp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am

So according to the rM:ME page, it will have a new feature which will be a flashlight to explore in dark areas. While the idea does sound good (as places like Selenitic were practically impossible to traverse in the original realMyst after the sun set) I do wonder what kind of flashlight they are talking about. Is it D'ni made? (Since if Myst takes place in 1806, they are a little over a hundred years shy of the first flashlight.) Will you find it somewhere or will you have it with you right from the get-go?
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Re: Uh, Flashlight?

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Well Atrus also invented the chemical battery before Alessandro Volta did in 1800, so he's a pretty smart guy :) He had stable electric lighting in a number of Ages (Stoneship, Selenitic, Rime, and let's not even talk about Voltaic). He was also using the term "volt" long before it was used on the surface!

Basically there are so many technological anachronisms in Myst (which could be explained by Atrus being an extremely talented engineer and/or incorporating D'ni technology) that adding a flashlight doesn't really cause a stir.

(One thing I like about Myst is that its technology is remniscent of late 19th century Earth, giving it a steampunk feel, compared to the rather different feel of D'ni technology used in Riven and Uru.)
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Yes you have the flashlight from the beginning of the game :(
Jamie Marchant

Postby Marten » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 pm

It's probably just a firemarble in a canister with a shade to turn it "off" and "on". :mrgreen:
MOULa KI: 26838 | Prologue Videos | Visit rel.to to explore Myst, Uru, and D'ni communities!
Click here for social/game profiles
Marten
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:48 pm

I suppose you pick up this said flash-light when you find the Myst book wherever that is.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Mowog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:57 pm

FYI, and sorry if this is in the instructions someplace... you can toggle the flashlight on and off with the F key. Easier that way... ;-)

Mowog
MOUL KI: 174162

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Postby Visian_Thistle » Sat May 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Don't forget the unlimited possibilities of the Art, either. Most of the inhabited Ages we know about seemed low-tech, with the exception of what Atrus brought with him ... but it wouldn't surprise me if he visited others that had independently developed things like flashlights. Shoot, what kind of tech did the civilization of the Black Ships have? It seems they were capable of altering the weather ...
Visian_Thistle
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat May 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Ok common you could make almost anything with 'the art :)', next your qoing to tell me there is an age with a machine that [SPOILERS FOR FURTURE TEXT ADVENURE]
Jamie Marchant

Return to General Discussion