realMyst: Masterpiece Edition now on Steam!

General discussion about realMyst.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition now on Steam!

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am

Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Re: realMyst: Masterpiece Edition now on Steam!

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 am

WOW! I have to buy that soon. Plus owners of the original RealMyst get a 33% discount.(which I am elgable for).
Jamie Marchant

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 am

I am an owner of the RealMyst game as well, however, you only get the discount if you purchased RealMyst through Steam.
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 am

I figured as much, but I did buy the original RealMyst through steam since I Myst* it "back in the day".

*Sorry couldn't resist.
Jamie Marchant

Postby KathAveara » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:08 am

/me whoops with excitement!

Now for it to come to Good Old Games.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Rehvaro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:25 am

KathAveara wrote:Now for it to come to Good Old Games.

Yea, I realy hope a GoG version will come.
I can't wait :D
Rehvaro
Obduction Backer

Postby Baladria » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 am

Yay!!
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Postby mystman12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

Well, what do you know! It actually runs fairly well on my PC. I have to put the settings pretty low, but I was able to put the water and bloom effects on the max settings. (Which is what I care about the most) It also depends on where you are. When I'm inside the fortress in the Mechanical Age, the game runs at pretty poor FPS, but it's still playable. When I'm outside the fortress though, I'm pretty sure the game runs at 60 FPS. So far, I've been pretty impressed by some things, but disappointed by others. It seems like Cyan didn't focus too much on certain models of, like, man made things. In Sirrus' and Achenar's rooms, there belonging's have pretty low textures or polygons. Hopefully Cyan will keep updating the game to make it better and better though.
mystman12

Postby Eat_My_Shortz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

I played it for about 5 minutes before dashing off to work :)

It looks really pretty and the intro was great. A couple of things seem a bit off to me, though:

• Anti-aliasing seems to be broken or disabled. Things are quite jaggy. Maybe I'll have to play with the settings some more.
  • Geometry is popping in pretty late as the world loads. It's quite jarring.
  • The interface hints are really annoying. Like, when you click the marker switch handle, giant white arrows appear to tell you to drag it. This is not what Myst is supposed to be like. Myst has no user interface elements, it's supposed to feel natural and not require instructions. I think you can turn those interface hints off, though.
  • The Classic Mode feels very strange, and I had to turn it off after a few minutes. Walking feels very stiff and you tend to bounce up and down as you go over stairs and such. I much prefer the smooth "gliding" feel in the Classic Mode of Myst V.
Still, really looking forward to playing this through!

Also, a quick tip: You get a $6 discount if you already own realMyst on Steam, and realMyst costs $6, so if you don't already have realMyst (or, like me, have it on CD-ROM and GOG but not Steam!), you can throw it into your cart for free when you buy Masterpiece Edition.
Eat_My_Shortz
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:18 pm

A couple things...

Performance is a bit bad and I have a gaming rig updated to play Skyrim with mods and anything using Unreal 3 or 4 and it stutters quite a bit.

Beautiful enhancements with the lighting really make this worth the price though.

Some of the music is rearranged in the game. Above Stoneship is now Below Stoneship if you get my drift.

I miss the old Myst book textures, those ashen book covers were my childhood!

I agree about the big arrows.

Hate the controls. I would have preferred the Myst V controls with mouse drive. Dragging my mouse to move seems a bit cumbersome. Clicking also can be iffy especially when too far from an object and missing the hotspots.

Walking speed is sloooow. While this is a lot better than realMyst's race to the finish line walking speed, I feel it drags a bit too much, especially in Channelwood which requires a lot of walking and backtracking. There needs to be a sprint option. Riding the Myst tree elevator to the top is now impossible.

Why can't I remap the controls?

Music and sound are so much better and more immersive!

Why are the masks in Channelwood now the same as the ones in Stoneship? I liked the variation in details like that. Oh well.

Some great new textures and some really low-res ones. Seems a bit inconsistent. Oh well.

The blue noise and loud honk now play before failing the compass rose. One of the best feelings in Myst was getting frightened for screwing up. I wish this hadn't been changed.

Otherwise, yes worth the price. The day/night cycles are amazing.
Rivenian

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:27 pm

My only real complaint I have so far is the electric buzz in Rime. It looked a lot better in the original realMyst.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Well I started playing it and completed the micincal age and channelwood. Here is what I think of it so far, it looks really nice and I really like the graphics. The flashlight is also handy. Unforchently, I have frame rate issues and where the frame-rate keeps rising and dropping depending on the age I'm in and what I'm doing. The movies always seem to play with a choppy frame-rate. They are also the ones form Myst(1993) which means they look very out of place in this 2014 game. Lastly the real time controls(which is one of the major reasons for buying the game) are a bit UN-intoative and there is little help explaining how they work. [Tip: left click to move the camera, use the arrow keys to walk and hold shift to run]. For these reasons I can NOT recommend this game at full price at this time.(possibly with the 33% discount).
Jamie Marchant

Postby Wafna » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:50 pm

On both my AMD A6-3420m laptop and on my i7-3770 desktop, I will have a split second of black screen at times, usually about when I'm about to interact with something. Both of them run in the low to mid-teen frame rate if I crank them all of the way up. With the desktop, if I let the game set graphics quality after I have adjusted the resolution to my monitor's native setting, it runs in the mid 20s and it is much easier to maneuver. The dedicated graphics card in my desktop is a budget card and it gives me the same "window blind" shadow patterns at times that I sometimes get in Skyrim.

I am ecstatic that they have fixed the main problem I had with the old realMyst: it had wind noise when you were in the rocket, so I found it very hard to carry the pitch.
MOULagain KI: 00042417 00032066
Wafna
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 pm

My experience so far:

Every once in awhile it seems to halt the game for a split second while walking around. I had some issues getting it to run at 1920 x 1080 (but after about 3 restarts it worked).

Everything else seems to be running ok. I'm getting a framerate between 30 to 45. That's with all the eyecandy turned on. GPU and processor are an R9 290 and an i7 2700k (overclocked to 4.0).

As far as the interface goes I've been using free roam mode. It feels weird that I can only look around while walking, but otherwise it's ok.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Hold Shift to run.

Hold right mouse button to rotate (look around) when you're not walking.

(I liked Uru's movement controls better, I gotta say.)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to General Discussion