realMyst: Masterpiece Edition now on Steam!

General discussion about realMyst.

Re: realMyst: Masterpiece Edition now on Steam!

Postby Rayhdeeyoh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:28 am

So I bought this off the App Store, and it looks great. But, darn, that navigation. I've been struggling with it since I started. Holding down a mouse button to look around?? It is such a complete hassle to position myself correctly in front of any object I need to interact with.

Dear Cyan, this game is about looking around! No one knows that better than you. Why make it more difficult to do so? Why not use the control scheme from Uru, or Myst V, or (IIRC) the original realMyst? Could you not at least give us turn-left and turn-right keys on the keyboard? This seriously dampens my enjoyment of the game, I'm afraid.
Rayhdeeyoh
Obduction Backer

Postby Baladria » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 am

Hmm, I just move my cursor to the far right/left/bottom/top without holding down mouse buttons and it looks around -- in Free Roam mode. You still have to stop of course to do so, but with the two options of "moving keys" (arrows or wasd) you can make the transition more smoothly. My settings are at medium high if that matters to anyone.
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Postby WeldFord » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:31 am

Rayhdeeyoh wrote:So I bought this off the App Store, and it looks great. But, darn, that navigation. I've been struggling with it since I started. Holding down a mouse button to look around?? It is such a complete hassle to position myself correctly in front of any object I need to interact with.

Dear Cyan, this game is about looking around! No one knows that better than you. Why make it more difficult to do so? Why not use the control scheme from Uru, or Myst V, or (IIRC) the original realMyst? Could you not at least give us turn-left and turn-right keys on the keyboard? This seriously dampens my enjoyment of the game, I'm afraid.

I could not have say it better, I can't enjoy the game because of that even if I really want to do so.
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby sammoniac » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 am

Rayhdeeyoh wrote:So I bought this off the App Store, and it looks great. But, darn, that navigation. I've been struggling with it since I started. Holding down a mouse button to look around?? It is such a complete hassle to position myself correctly in front of any object I need to interact with.

And that's why I started a thread with instructions how to avoid having to hold down right-click all the time... on PC (with AutoHotkey). I'm afraid this won't help if you have a Mac though :|
sammoniac

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 pm

I just got a noticeable improvement in the frame-rate by resetting my resetting my ATI catalyst setting to default. :)(it could work on other 3D cards as well), it also seems to cause a several bug in MOUla where by it's unplayable when set wrong. My opinion of the RealMyst(2014) has changed slight due to this and now stands as follws: "This game is worth buying but I'd wait for Cyan to fix some of the other issues".
Jamie Marchant

Postby Rayhdeeyoh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:08 pm

sammoniac wrote:And that's why I started a thread with instructions how to avoid having to hold down right-click all the time... on PC (with AutoHotkey). I'm afraid this won't help if you have a Mac though :|

Yes, I've seen that thread, and it's great if it works for people. But I do indeed play on a Mac...
Rayhdeeyoh
Obduction Backer

Postby jonboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Yeah I'm really surprised that Cyan put the game out with these controls. I find it hard to believe people tested it and were okay with them. I know they're not a huge studio with big budgets, but it seems like a bit of an oversight (sorry to any Cyan folks reading this). That said, the game is pretty great and I often find myself stopping to admire how nice it looks!
www.jonasquith.com - Animation, Motion Design, Music. Check out my work (if you want to...)
jonboy
Obduction Backer

Postby Neptin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

These comments are scary! Thinking about getting it off steam. Maybe I should wait for an update.
: // we all have our #differentreasons.com
Neptin
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 pm

"Don't read the comments."
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 am

I just PM'd Chogen about this issue, hopefully he will respond here soon.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Chogon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi,

We (Cyan) are looking at a number of latency issues (sometimes called "being choppy") with the latest build of realMyst Masterpiece for PCs and Macs for the next update. I don't have an ETA for when that update will be available. But it will be available to everyone that purchased it on Steam or the Mac App Store.

And we will be looking at all the other issues that were raised here, on Steam and tickets submitted to Cyan.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Chogon
Chogon
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info Chogen!
Jamie Marchant

Postby KathAveara » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Just remember, guys, Obduction is Cyan's number one priority, so realMyst updates have to be fit around it!
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion