RM:ME Complaints

General discussion about realMyst.

RM:ME Complaints

Postby T-Squared » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, I feel this needs to be said. In my travels through the ages of this edition of Myst, I have come across many glitches and mistakes that were apparently not patched or modified for its transfer to a game for a personal computer.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF WHAT WAS OR WAS NOT PUT INTO THE GAME. (Although there is at least one thing I would have liked changed in Selenitic from the original rM myself...)

(DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE COMPLETED REALMYST: MASTERPIECE EDITION)

Game overall:
  • Almost everything is too clean, too bright. It doesn't feel "real", so to speak. (i.e. the library ceiling. It looks more like a cartoon than an actual "real" surface.)
  • The repeating textures, and some old pixelated textures, can sometimes really take away from the realism. I feel like I'm looking more at a fabric pattern than a stone pattern. Also, some textures don't quite look as well
  • Some sounds don't match up with their original actions. In rM, it was not as bad. If there's supposed to be a nostalgic factor in this game, why not keep the sounds to their proper place?

Myst Island:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • The mechanical sounds for the clock tower lever puzzle sound really disjointed.

Selenitic:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • In one of the mazerunner junctions, the action to rotate the track was programmed incorrectly, causing part of it to stand still.
  • The mazerunner door does not close properly when one enters it, but I have yet to show or see this glitch because the game automatically locks the player into the pilot's seat when they select it and begin the maze.
  • One glitch even threw me out of the mazerunner into the caverns below.
  • This is not a personal preference, but an expectation. Selenitic doesn't have a day-night cycle.

Mechanical:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • The sounds of both the giant elevator gear, and the gears in the second floor sound really disjointed.
  • Again, not personal preference, but Mechanical does not have a day-night cycle.

Channelwood:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • The videos for Achenar's Temple could have been cleaned up better than they are shown in the game. The fact that I can see two different versions of the same room-- the old one in video, the new one in realtime -- at the same time, kind of puts me off a bit.
  • A few 3D bridge rope objects on the top level do not connect to other ropes properly.

Stoneship:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • The Stoneship Theme is nonexistent, and the replacement music used, from the telescope, doesn't match the environment.
  • Once again, Stoneship is missing a day-night cycle.

Rime:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • The sparks from the tower seem a little disjointed and slow for what they're supposed to be doing.
  • I don't know how others did it, but I can't get the crystals to change color when passing the mouse over them.
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Re: RM:ME Complaints

Postby Vector Cramp » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am

For Rime Crystal Viewer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In rM:ME, you have to hold your mouse down on the crystal for it to change color for some reason.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion