Strange suggestion: No-motion navigation mode

General discussion about realMyst.

Strange suggestion: No-motion navigation mode

Postby LuigiHann » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The "classic mode" navigation in the game is great, for me. It's nostalgic and it's the smoothest of the control options available in the new game. I think Rand mentioned that one of the reasons for including the mode was to reduce motion sickness for people who are sensitive to that sort of thing, but when moving from node to node, the camera whips around spastically sometimes and seems to defeat that purpose. I showed the game to my girlfriend and after a few nodes she couldn't look at the game anymore because of the vertigo effect.
If the navigation from node to node can't be smoothed out, I wonder if it'd be possible to fade from node to node instead, like the pre-rendered games. I'm not sure if that'd be possible in a realtime 3D game, but it seems like it would be doable to have the game snap to the next node while fading out the image of the previous node... Just a thought.
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Re: Strange suggestion: No-motion navigation mode

Postby Vector Cramp » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:08 am

Not sure if that would help, but you can adjust the transition speed.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby ArkhamNative » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 am

I noticed the same seasickness/pre-nausea(?) trying out Classic Mode in the fortress in Mechanical age. One click could get a quick turn followed by a fast sprint to the next node then abrupt stop. The corridors being so narrow may have greatly increased the effect. I can sometimes get the same effect in many FPS games if I get in a hurry and rapid-turn with the mouse a lot.

Oh, I was also using the default transition speed.
ArkhamNative
Obduction Backer

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I just got around to playing my copy of the game and, yep, I have the same problem. I'd love to get an official response from Rand (or Ryan W./greydragon) about patching in the "fading" functionality, because the current "classic" style in realMyst Masterpiece is also going to be an option for Obduction, and I really hope they take these issues into consideration.

As it is, I can't play realMyst for more than five minutes without wanting to puke, and if this is how Obduction works, then same tune, same tempo, I'm afraid. :?
Freelance Writer

Staff Writer for AdventureGamers.com
Owner/Blogmaster of WriteFullCircle.com

Follow my Twitter: @WriteFullCircle

Known in the cavern as Ghal'vhen
KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Hmm I can see how this could be a problem for some people. Has anyone emailed Cyan about this to ask them directly?
Jamie Marchant

Postby jwta » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm

LuigiHann wrote:If the navigation from node to node can't be smoothed out, I wonder if it'd be possible to fade from node to node instead, like the pre-rendered games.

I wouldn't even need a fade. I've played many games from the 1990's without fades and without sim sickness. But the "classic mode" in Myst V was worse for me than the Direct Control -- all that swerving and mean person/people when it turned corners. I looked for an option to get rid of transitions, but didn't find one.
jwta
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion