The Mysterious Channelwood Photo

General discussion about realMyst.

The Mysterious Channelwood Photo

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am

(Since no doubt someone will make a post, I figured I might as well start this myself.)

For those of you who don't know, earlier today Cyan released a never-before-seen photo of what I believe to be Channelwood.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

So what could this possibly mean? Well, in Rand's interview with the DMR he mentioned that they were working on a remake of realMYST for Windows and PC, so that's my guess on what that is.

Anyway, let the speculation begin!
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Re: The Mysterious Channelwood Photo

Postby EccentricOne » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Cool! Where did they release this picture? It looks great.

I remember reading that Channelwood's day/night cycle did not make the original RealMyst release. There was a photo of it at night released years ago, but it was not this one.
EccentricOne
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:16 pm

I've always said this, but I feel that the 2000s were a period where the technology had to catch up to what Cyan was making in still images in 1994-97. I feel like finally, realtime 3d has gotten to that point where photorealism is once again possible. :D
Rivenian

Postby Mystdee » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 pm

EccentricOne wrote:Cool! Where did they release this picture? It looks great.

I remember reading that Channelwood's day/night cycle did not make the original RealMyst release. There was a photo of it at night released years ago, but it was not this one.

The picure was posted on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus that I saw, 8-) . . . . maybe other places too, that I missed?. . .
Mystdee
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:57 am

I'm just going to post this here again - took the picture, scaled it up and made it brighter.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Image
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby ChloeRhodes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Vector Cramp wrote:Anyway, let the speculation begin!

Very well, I would hazard a guess that Cyan, besides working on RealMyst has another project in the pipeline that, based on the jobs section of their website, they are getting ready to hire people to work on. Since they are looking at resume's for modelers and programmers that are comfortable in Unity and the Unreal Engine, their next game will be based off those engines (I'm going to step further onto the branch and say Unreal). I'd also suggest that since there is probably few in house people that are comfortable working within these engines, before they begin production on "Something New" they are redoing RealMyst in-house based on the Unreal Engine in order for their in-house "permanent" staff to cut their teeth on it and see how the engine runs and what they'll need for "Something New". Similar to what they did with the original RealMyst and Plasma 1. They developed RealMyst to test the engine's capabilities, and teach themselves how to get into the nitty gritty of it all, before going onto Uru and rebuilding Plasma 1 for the needs of ABM.
MOULAgain KI: 024104

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live
ChloeRhodes
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 pm

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Vector Cramp wrote:Anyway, let the speculation begin!

Very well, I would hazard a guess that Cyan, besides working on RealMyst has another project in the pipeline that, based on the jobs section of their website, they are getting ready to hire people to work on. Since they are looking at resume's for modelers and programmers that are comfortable in Unity and the Unreal Engine, their next game will be based off those engines (I'm going to step further onto the branch and say Unreal). I'd also suggest that since there is probably few in house people that are comfortable working within these engines, before they begin production on "Something New" they are redoing RealMyst in-house based on the Unreal Engine in order for their in-house "permanent" staff to cut their teeth on it and see how the engine runs and what they'll need for "Something New". Similar to what they did with the original RealMyst and Plasma 1. They developed RealMyst to test the engine's capabilities, and teach themselves how to get into the nitty gritty of it all, before going onto Uru and rebuilding Plasma 1 for the needs of ABM.

Congratulations, you just won the speculation game. Here's your complimentary killer whale photograph.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm

You've got my attention!
Jamie Marchant

Postby Rudolfson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 am

I speculate that this is a for fun picture released because it was laying about and is pretty and has no bearing on current development in cyan HQ . The fact that Cyan has totally redesigned their company site, and has opened it up to fan participation is pure coincidence.
Why is cyan interested in the unreal engine? Well I'm too so there!
Also I think they are fiery abyss bent on making stoneship a success by maing it a 3D game and that is why there those peaople are hred, and also why there are no new bug chucker puzzles. HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO WAIT!

btw! I should get the prize. because I allways should!

I quite like the picture though, and thank you for posting.
--- in our hearts our dreams are still the same ---
Rudolfson

Postby Vector Cramp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Rudolfson wrote:I speculate that this is a for fun picture released because it was laying about and is pretty and has no bearing on current development in cyan HQ . The fact that Cyan has totally redesigned their company site, and has opened it up to fan participation is pure coincidence.

Yet Rand has already confirmed that a remake of realMYST is in the works and will be Cyan's next release.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby T-Squared » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

What I'm hoping they do this time around is bring a bit of classic flavor into the game.
That is, bring back some of the concepts from the original Myst into RealMyst, one of them being:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
changing the ending tunnel in Selenitic from the "minecart" style back into the "techno light" style. When I played Myst at 5 years old and saw the tunnel at the end, it felt futuristic and cool. When I played RealMyst at age 13 and saw the tunnel, it felt more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hM6M#t=131

Now, I'm not saying to completely change the designs back to look like Original!Myst, it's just maybe some comebacks of those design concepts might bring out a positive nostalgia factor in those who played the original.

(Also, I know it's a long-shot, but what if the original unedited video assets for Myst still exist [like the texture assets for Riven!], like video camera tapes, then the "original" videos could be put back in in much higher quality!)
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Postby Ahlisendar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 am

T-Squared wrote:changing the ending tunnel in Selenitic from the "minecart" style back into the "techno light" style. When I played Myst at 5 years old and saw the tunnel at the end, it felt futuristic and cool. When I played RealMyst at age 13 and saw the tunnel, it felt more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hM6M#t=131

Yeah I agree, that was pretty cool. And when at the very start of the tunnel you were going so fast it was just like a crazy flashy thing, that was more fun that the minecart style (though I have to say the rest of the selenitic ride was more fun than the original).
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Capella » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 am

Vector Cramp wrote:Yet Rand has already confirmed that a remake of realMYST is in the works and will be Cyan's next release.

Is it possible that this is the PC/Mac conversion of the iOS version? Since it's Unity-based and Unity is available for all those platforms. A bunch of the conversion work has been done already for the mobile, so maybe it's not as big a leap from that version back to the desktop.
Mysterium Committee Secretary
My Flickr| My Fanfic
Capella
Obduction Backer

Postby T-Squared » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Capella wrote:
Vector Cramp wrote:Yet Rand has already confirmed that a remake of realMYST is in the works and will be Cyan's next release.

Is it possible that this is the PC/Mac conversion of the iOS version? Since it's Unity-based and Unity is available for all those platforms. A bunch of the conversion work has been done already for the mobile, so maybe it's not as big a leap from that version back to the desktop.

I doubt it. The image Cyan has posted is too detailed. There's more detail, such as extra plants next to the trees. Apparently this is supposed to be a swamp-like version of Channelwood. The iPad version is missing many of the details, and looks rather bland.

Also, for those of you thinking that the built-in shadow textures are wrong, there's a possibility that there's a moon off-screen reflecting light onto the scene.
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Next

Return to General Discussion