Questions about realMyst: Masterpiece Edition

General discussion about realMyst.

Questions about realMyst: Masterpiece Edition

Postby Tomb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:18 am

What advantages and/or disadvantages does this version of Myst have over the others (original, Masterpiece, realMyst)? Is it worth getting over those versions?
Tomb

Re: Questions about realMyst: Masterpiece Edition

Postby Twitch » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 pm

It's the prettiest version so far, but it's a bit buggy and has some performance issues.
You should get this version if you want it in 3d, or Myst Masterpiece if you prefer point and click.
Twitch

Postby Tomb » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 am

Twitch wrote:It's the prettiest version so far, but it's a bit buggy and has some performance issues.
You should get this version if you want it in 3d, or Myst Masterpiece if you prefer point and click.

Yeah, I've heard about those problems in reviews of the game when it first came out. But I saw various patch notes through the Steam community page. Have these problems not been patched out?
Tomb

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Here's a run-down of the different versions:

The original Myst is well, the original. Released in 1993, it probably won't run on anything today, if you can even find it.

Myst ME was a remastered version of Myst. Exactly the same, just higher resolution, 24-bit color, ect. It's also the only version of the old point-and-click slideshow Myst that you're likely to find anywhere.

realMyst was a realtime-3D update of Myst. It featured all kinds of cool stuff that's possible when you have a realtime environment like day/night cycles, fog, and other cool stuff. It also featured a new age, Rime. While not a huge addition, this helped the game tie in better with Riven. It also added a number of Uru easter eggs.

realMyst ME is IMO the definitive version of Myst. It's essentially the same as realMyst (including the extra age, Rime), but it offers a modern engine and all the capabilities that come with that. Completely re-built from the ground up, it offers the best version of the game if you ask me. It does have some bugs (nothing major that I remember), but I think most of the issues people are having are more due to the engine that was used (Unity kind of sucks). And honestly, all the other versions have issues too, simply because they are so old. Especially the original realMyst. That version is very buggy.

For me, yes, it's worth it. Of course, this is coming from somebody who has every version of this game, many of the different ports, and I don't intend to stop. I even have multiple copies of some of these versions. So, you know, I could be a tad biased here.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomb » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Magic88889 wrote:Here's a run-down of the different versions:

The original Myst is well, the original. Released in 1993, it probably won't run on anything today, if you can even find it.

Myst ME was a remastered version of Myst. Exactly the same, just higher resolution, 24-bit color, ect. It's also the only version of the old point-and-click slideshow Myst that you're likely to find anywhere.

realMyst was a realtime-3D update of Myst. It featured all kinds of cool stuff that's possible when you have a realtime environment like day/night cycles, fog, and other cool stuff. It also featured a new age, Rime. While not a huge addition, this helped the game tie in better with Riven. It also added a number of Uru easter eggs.

realMyst ME is IMO the definitive version of Myst. It's essentially the same as realMyst (including the extra age, Rime), but it offers a modern engine and all the capabilities that come with that. Completely re-built from the ground up, it offers the best version of the game if you ask me. It does have some bugs (nothing major that I remember), but I think most of the issues people are having are more due to the engine that was used (Unity kind of sucks). And honestly, all the other versions have issues too, simply because they are so old. Especially the original realMyst. That version is very buggy.

For me, yes, it's worth it. Of course, this is coming from somebody who has every version of this game, many of the different ports, and I don't intend to stop. I even have multiple copies of some of these versions. So, you know, I could be a tad biased here.

Wow. Well thanks for the in-depth details of each version. Sold me on realMyst: Masterpiece Edition. Enjoying it so far, and I haven't seen any bugs as of yet. If they're there, they're so minor that I haven't noticed.
Tomb

Postby Magic88889 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 am

Glad I could help.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Charura » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Always wondered why the name ' realMYST ' , with the lowercase letter...Couldn't find anything by searching on-line or here..Anyone know why?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby WeldFord » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:59 am

Because it was in 3D so it's more real than the original Myst, I guess :D
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:54 am

The 3D rendering, like Uru, is done in real time - an example of a new technology being included in the name of a product. But that doesn't answer the question of why the lower case. It was just a stylistic choice, I suppose, to keep the "Myst" name prominent while also needing a new or revised name for a new version of the product.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Return to General Discussion