"Myst Minor Puzzle" reboot

Warning: May include spoilers.

"Myst Minor Puzzle" reboot

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 pm

To reboot this thread:
[url="http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26042"]http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26042[/url]
Does anyone know anything more about this. (proof or disproof)
Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Marchant

Re: Myst Minor Puzzle reboot

Postby dgelessus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:59 am

Okay, so I only have the Masterpiece Edition, so things may be different in the original PC and Mac versions.
But, I can tell you that there are means to look "under the hood" of the game, which I can't talk about here because of forum rules. And I can tell you that there are no files for anything in that story in the game.
Again, there may be such stuff in earlier versions, although quite unlikely, considering how conservative you had to be with disk space back then. I believe the first Myst came on five floppy disks or something.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby realXCV » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:12 pm

dgelessus wrote:I believe the first Myst came on five floppy disks or something.

Myst was never released on floppies. The only age that could fit on only 5 floppy disks is D'ni with no videos.
No, I'm not real95
realXCV
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Shorah dgelessus,

The original Myst came on a single CD-ROM (and was for the Mac platform; later it was also released for the PC). Perhaps you are remembering Riven, which was originally distributed on 5 CD-ROMs (and later on a single DVD). If memory serves, the Myst CD-ROM was one of the first games to be released in that medium; and Riven was one of the first games to be released on DVD.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:26 am

I may have messed that up, but I read/saw somewhere that Cyan's first game came on five or six floppies or so. Obviously that wasn't Myst >.< Maybe it was The Manhole or Cosmic Osmo...

PS: Here we go: "The game was first released on floppy disks ..." Also it says later, about the CD-ROM version: "... is notable for being the first computer game distributed on CD-ROM." So that apparently wasn't Myst either ;)
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Re: "Myst Minor Puzzle" reboot

Postby Mowog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:03 pm

The original Manhole shipped on four floppies, and Osmo on five.

Mowog
MOUL KI: 174162

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Return to Hints & Tips