Riven for Android

General discussion about Riven.

Riven for Android

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

So Riven is now on Andriod out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iven&hl=en. Does anyone know if the game can be stored on your devices card? I don't have very much internal storage.
Jamie Marchant

Re: Riven for Android

Postby Charura » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 am

Maybe need to ask the maker?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 am

Good thinking.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Magic88889 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 pm

I was looking through the comments (seems a lot of people don't realize the game is 20 years old), and saw a few comments on this. One said if you download and run it once, you can then move it to a card. Not having an android device myself, I can't test it.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 pm

I have contacted the developer using the email they provided, I got one automatic response and gave a bit more info. I have got no further contact.

Riven will soon be available through Skummvm, I was thinking an official port might work better but looking at the comments I might be wrong.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Magic88889 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Riven has worked pretty well on ScummVM for a while now, it just hasn't been officially supported, and only worked with the daily builds (so not the official releases). It's good that they're finally getting around to officially supporting it. The guys are pretty good over there, and at the very least will document any bugs they haven't resolved.

As for the Android version, I'm not sure I'd really call it an official port. Cyan farmed the port out to another company, so the quality (or lack thereof) is totally on them, not on Cyan. Not everyone has Cyan's dedication and attention to detail.
But to be fair, the whole Android system is quite fragmented, even more than the PC market these days. It can be challenging to program for it. I'd give them some time to work out the bugs before passing judgement on it. Even the iOS version had some issues on release, and I believe that Cyan did that one themselves.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am

By official, I meant "Cyan approved", though thinking about it I have no clue if the Riven port in Skummvm is Cyan approved or not. Just so you know, there is nothing illegal about using Skummvm as you still need your Riven data to play it. The game's code has been rewritten from scratch. This is similar to how Wine can run Windows programs even if you don't own Windows. It's also how AMD makes processors that compete with Intel.
Jamie Marchant

Return to General Discussion