Myst IV: What Could Have Been

General discussion about Myst IV: Revelation.

Myst IV: What Could Have Been

Postby Yali » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Check out this article.

http://youtu.be/v8naLKfgkGU

I actually really like some of this. From what I see, I much prefer Tomahna's design than the one seen in Revelation. This version seems more traditionally Myst-like and eerie rather than modern-steampunk which is what Tomahna in Revelation more like. The living room in particular felt right at home in the series.

Other things of note:

The garden age had a lot of interesting doodads.
    The general aesthetic of the game seems much more original Myst than Exile.
    I wonder what the story would have been.

I want to play this demo!
Yali
Obduction Backer

Re: Myst IV: What Could Have Been

Postby Tweek » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:04 am

Oh yeah I remember this.

Personally I'm glad they went with Revelation instead, I didn't like the look of "Ultraworld" when it surfaced.
Tweek
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:26 pm

If that's Tomanha, I'm not sure it really fits. Atrus always seemed a bit more humble to me, and I would think that it would show when he went to design a building. More simple elegance (like we see in Rev), rather than big a grandiose, as is indicated in the demo.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:04 pm

I like the Myst IV we have now, though that would be a cool game even though the age design is uncharacteristic of Atrus.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Twitch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Atrus' age design has nothing to do with Tomahna. Tomahna wasn't written, it was built (and with an unknown amount of help from the new guild of engineers, at that.) Furthermore, the only instances of Atrus designing something for aesthetics is J'nanin and the balcony on Releeshahn. Myst was written by Katran, and all of the ages we've seen Atrus write were expiremental, not for pleasure. Tomahna definitely bears a strong resemblance to J'nanin.
Twitch

Postby Twitch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Is there a download link to this anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but there has to be one floating around for them to have recorded the footage.
Twitch

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 am

I imagine a download would be illegal since it's beta software and we all know illegal things arn't allowed on this forum.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Twitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:05 pm

What? Beta software isn't illegal.
Twitch

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Distributing it may be?(Non-disclosure Agreements/Proprietary stuff). Is this a fan project? Fans probably don't care about that kind of thing, companies might.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Twitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:43 pm

No, Ultraworld was being developed by Dreamforge, which went out of business in 2000. I can't imagine any reason that anyone would be against the distribution of this content.
Twitch

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Even if a company is not around any more, their copyright still remains. The idea that this is not the case is a misconception. It is called Abandonware and can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware . Some people think that Abandonware is ethical, others do not. Regardless Cyan does not tallerat such things:
RAWA wrote:COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS – Posting of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder is not allowed. Links to copyrighted material should only be to the copyright holder of that material or a sanctioned holder.

So unless someone contacts the copyright holder and obtains permission they can not post it here. I'm not even sure if the trailer is legal but it's hard to tell.

However this is getting off-topic and I would rather not get into a debate about Copyrights.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Twitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Well, it would be nice to know if the demo even exists anymore. That's not against the rules. Has anyone been able to find it?
Twitch

Postby Ainia » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Twitch wrote:Is there a download link to this anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but there has to be one floating around for them to have recorded the footage.

Shorah Twitch,

I suspect that we are seeing a proof-of-concept here rather than a game demo. In other words, I think the "playable" version they filmed existed once on a development computer or two as a work in progress (in whatever development tool format they were using) but never made it past that stage.

If this is the case, then a game demo never existed (or in other words, the developer's demo to Cyan was the film itself rather than a "playable" product).

Just guessing about all that, of course. ;)
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 pm

The video was uploaded by unseen64.net and you can get more info here:
http://www.unseen64.net/2014/11/26/myst ... cancelled/

Some of the developers are listed at the bottom of the page. Maybe one of them can be contacted for the demo.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Twitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Well, Aina, that's very likely, but it still had to be compiled into a working build to make that video. It's unlikely that a copy got out, but I can hope.
Twitch

Next

Return to General Discussion