Myst sheet music

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Myst sheet music

Postby Alex KKindel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:32 pm

I didn't know about this forum when I posted it in the Uru one, but it I'll move it here now since it's really a more appropriate place:

I have transcribed (by ear) the soundtrack to the original Myst, for acoustic instruments:

score
parts

While it isn't officially sanctioned, I do have Robyn Miller's permission to post it places. If anyone performs any of it, both of us would love to hear!

And here are solo piano arrangements of a few tracks, to which I hope to add:

Myst Theme
The Tower
Compass Rose
Above Stoneship
Selenetic Mystgate
Last edited by Alex KKindel on Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex KKindel
Obduction Backer

Re: Myst sheet music

Postby Hannah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:22 pm

Ok, I have to admit, that is AWESOME. Nice job!
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin

Postby Mephu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:52 pm

Very nice job! Although the very first link is broken :( So I'm commenting on the piano arrangements.

There's an enormous amount of rubato in most of the Myst soundtracks, and that makes them extremely difficult to notate properly. Yet you did well in notating from them despite the fact. I have a feeling Robyn was just improvising on the keyboard while imagining the environment he wished to create.
Mephu

Postby Alex KKindel » Wed May 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Oh gosh-I haven't checked here in so long, I didn't realize about the broken link. It should be fixed now.

And indeed, Robyn never put any of this music into written form, so it's entirely possible he didn't have a metre in mind for some of it.
Alex KKindel
Obduction Backer

Postby Alex KKindel » Wed May 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Last edited by Alex KKindel on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Alex KKindel
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Alex KKindel wrote:I have recently begun to transcribe Riven as well:

Nice!
As a person who likes to read musical scores as I listen, though, I feel like it might be a good idea to hide empty staves, for the purposes of readability. Just my two cents' worth.
Overall, very nice work. I really like the amount of detail that you've included :)
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Alex KKindel » Wed May 21, 2014 4:40 pm

As a person who likes to read musical scores as I listen, though, I feel like it might be a good idea to hide empty staves, for the purposes of readability.

Heh, a fondness for score study is perhaps my own primary interest in making these transcriptions.

It is my usual practice to reduce scores, but these soundtracks involve such idiosyncratic combinations of instruments, I thought it might be easier to keep track of what's going on if the staff layout remained fixed through each track. I suppose I should try it anyway to see how it looks.

I really like the amount of detail that you've included

It is my goal to include as close to all of the details as I can manage. ^^
Alex KKindel
Obduction Backer

Postby Alex KKindel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:03 am

It's been a while since I've added any Riven tracks, but I just finished a significant revision of the Myst score. I'll update the parts as well, before too long.
Alex KKindel
Obduction Backer

Return to Creativity