Scaryiest Thigns in Myst Games

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Scaryiest Thigns in Myst Games

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:20 am

Here are some screrry things found in Myst games! There are in the oder I thought of them and no order.

Things that may contain spoloirs:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The snake that pops out of the box in the micincal age
- When the spoors appear in the tunnal near the end of the jungle age in Myst III. Something about them is just creepy. I think it's partially since they just pop up there and since a few of them look like eyes.
- When the wark(or however it's spelt) rams you.
- The dark cave in Riven on the way to the moyate age
- When you see the skelteun through the tellescope in the mincinical age
- Wondering around in 'decent' in Myst 5, since I allways feel like I'm being watched and like a Borah will appear at any point

Things that really don't contain spoilers:
- The blue cave on Jungle island with the crepy music plays.
Jamie Marchant

Re: Scaryiest Thigns in Myst Games

Postby Acorn1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:24 pm

what about the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
creepy counting game in the Riven schoolroom?

I don't think that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the Wahrk ramming the glass
is scary - I think it's funny :lol:
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Re: Scariest Things in Myst Games

Postby Annabelle » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 pm

For me, the most scariest moments are when there are live action characters, I hate that. I can jump off my chair in some situations. It wouldn't be that bad if they were animated characters just like in Myst 5 EoA. Other than that I cannot say I'm afraid of anything. Knowing the game series is non-violent, I don't expect bad sceneries or monster or ghosts to appear around the corner.
Annabelle 47907 - New avatar
Annabelle

Postby Ainia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 pm

I will add
[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • In Myst, Achenar's secret room on Mechanical
  • In Riven, seeing the wahrk tower shackles (after first visiting the Map Island wahrk chamber and visiting the Jungle Island schoolroom, so you know exactly what they're for and what happens next)
  • In Exile, all the fail endings with Saavedro
  • In Revelation, Achenar's memories inside the Haven ship
  • In End of Ages, Esher's Noloben lab and torture chamber

Conclusion: plenty of creepy things in the games without being overly dramatic or gross (yay!).
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby AlanD » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 am

Interestingly, the one place in Uru that scares me most is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
descending the stairs from the Kadish vault. The camera view and the vault scenery are nicely arranged to give an enormous sense of exposure (in the mountaineering sense) - lose your footing and you will faaaaaaaalll :)

It surprised me the first time I encountered it, as no other scene had done this, not even the jumps to the Gahreesen door. There is something about the way that the Vault and its surroundings are arranged that produce an extreme reaction, at least for me. In RL I am usually OK with exposure on ridges and cliff edges too.
KI numbers:
11981 AlanD
12305 AlanDJ
AlanD
Obduction Backer

Postby Baladria » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 am

Oh gosh, for me the two things that immediately jump into my mind are:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1. Little girl in Riven and 2. the one that nearly gave me a heart attack and left me clutching my chest for a long while before continuing on was that animal in Revelation that pops out of that parachute thing.

:o
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Postby Wafna » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:34 am

Baladria wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Little girl in Riven

My top scary thing too, even though looking back it's not truly a scary thing.

My second:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The spider chair in Riven. It took me a while to get up the nerve to sit in it.
MOULagain KI: 00042417 00032066
Wafna
Obduction Backer

Postby Yali » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 am

Oh yes Myst, the most family friendly series ever! :D

Myst has always a really dark edge, mostly implied violence.

A couple of moments in the series that I find quite scary and creepy:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1. Achenar's Mechanical torture chamber. What says family friendly better than an inescapable electric cage! This room is fit with all sorts of poisons probably force-fed to ahrotahntee of Atrus' ages. In the far corner is an execution block with a butcher knife embedded into it. Talk about a morose and somber end. Not to mention the rotting severed head in a box next to the shelves.
2. Achenar's room on stoneship. What says coastal romantic getaway better than a hidden room with a urine-stained mattress, ghoulish masks, a hologram that shows a rose morphing into a skull, and a lamp made from a human ribcage! Myst is chock full of macabre iconography. You could even say it's the darkest of the series.
3. Achenar's Channelwood Temple: An uncanny temple fit for sacrifice with floating holographic messages spoken in a native language, an altar which chops your body to pieces when you approach it. Not to mention the terrifying and alien masks on every wall. Achenar was really messed up. Its surprising he reformed in the end. Its theorized the head in Mechanical came from the temple altar.
4. The Wahrk gallows: a stunning structure which, after having visited the schoolhouse, takes on a whole new level of creepy. This is where natives were sacrificed to their own tribal animal deity by the man who overthrew their culture. Pretty sick.
5. All the bad endings with Gehn: Let's see... Gehn murdering his own son and then you after thanking you (wtf), Gehn shooting you and talking about himself in the most narcissistic way possible as you croak slowly and painfully. Yeah, great fun with the family! That's what Myst is about right?
6. The Moeity Hive.
7. Saavedro murdering you countless times with his hammer.
8. The player leaving Saavedro to die slowly of starvation between the ice shields on Narayn, just inches away from his home and family when all you had to do was lower the shields in 5 seconds. Yay! Cruelty ftw!
9. ALL of Spire.
10. The Bahro brutally murdering Wheely Engberg in front of hundreds of explorers live over a two hour period. All through text. The most gruelling and disturbing moment in the entire series. I never thought Cyan had it in them. Oh wait, I forgot about all of Myst and Riven.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:43 am

Sirrus’ rooms aren’t much better, with syringes, pills, bottles and knives :)
KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Main_Avvie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 am

Bob the Skeleton as seen through Sirrus' spyglass in Mechanical.

Probably because to this day there's been no explanation given for it that I'm aware of. Certainly fits within the pirate theme of the age, but you have to wonder who he is and how some poor sot got strung up there. Bob's identity is unknown. Much like Riven's 'Cho' Bob is a fan name, the origins of which are unknown to me (at least I think it's Bob).

One also has to wonder why Sirrus has the view fixed in his spyglass. Coincidence? Knowing his want for depravity I suppose not. The remains could be that of one of the crew of the Black Ship pirates or perhaps one of the original denizens of the age. Did Sirrus have something to do with the grisly display?
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I wonder if the skelinton was part of Rand's DnD compain which the age is based on.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Main_Avvie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:06 am

Jamie Marchant wrote:I wonder if the skelinton was part of Rand's DnD compain which the age is based on.

I've never heard anything about Mechanical being based on a DnD campaign. :shock:
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:17 am

Regrettably I have no citation for that offhand.
Jamie Marchant

Postby andys1376 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 am

Main_Avvie wrote:
Jamie Marchant wrote:I wonder if the skelinton was part of Rand's DnD compain which the age is based on.

I've never heard anything about Mechanical being based on a DnD campaign. :shock:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that either! I found an article where it is mentioned: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24424 It includes a picture of Rand's dungeon.
andys1376
Obduction Backer

Postby Main_Avvie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

andys1376 wrote:
Main_Avvie wrote:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that either! I found an article where it is mentioned: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24424 It includes a picture of Rand's dungeon.

BRILLIANT!! Excellent Find! I thought I had read all of adventuregamers.com's Myst articles, but this is new material for me. Lots of info I've never heard of before. This is the first time I've ever heard about The Grey Summons or Rand's DnD campaign serving as inspiration for the Mechanical Age. Now I can see how "Bob" could have stemmed from that. Wow. I'd almost die to grill Rand for more info on this. :mrgreen:

Thank you for bringing this up. :D
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Return to Creativity