Hulu, Comercials, viewing habits, and demographics.

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Hulu, Comercials, viewing habits, and demographics.

Postby Graizur » Wed May 13, 2015 7:25 am

(I use to be able to cut these into bite sized pieces it's been so long since I've had to make my thoughts smaller through writing, anyway, good luck reading this)

So I was thinking about how I watch Netflix and where Hulu is at with their service verses maybe where they are going and I thought about this bunch of MYST fans that are huddled around the Facebook pages and the forums and what could be done or contributed that would be useful and I can to the conclusion that signing up for Hulu early wouldn't help Hulu because it would be too small a number of people to be noticed, maybe a few hundred at most 15 to 30 more realistically if everyone who could here signed up for Hulu today.

Run on sentence, I'm sorry.

And I was thinking, signing up for Hulu today isn't a good litmus test for anything because Hulu doesn't have enough variety anyway to gauge viewing habits, but Netflix does, we could sign on to Netflix and share on a Facebook page stuff we're watching that we like, that's MYST like in theme or in aesthetic, or with actors that we like or whatever.

It might give the people developing the MYST series a kind of informal demographic or whatever you call those rooms where they let people watch movies and shows and pilots and games before they come out and gauge reactions.

That way it wouldn't be like a bunch of fans telling "The Creatives" what to do but it wouldn't leave us out in the cold either. There isn't much coming out from this Hulu project for a while but it's still on the forfront of our minds. I think a fun way all of us fans to lend our perspectives for a fuller view of the invisible shared fantasy world of D'ni would be to help work towards a goal.

So that was one thought.

Then I realized that television and content distribution is still in it's early stages. I turned my mind's eye towards "Comercials". On some of the Facebook comments for the news that MYST is coming through Hulu was dissapointment and dissaproval at Hulu's commercials. So I thought about the point of Comercials in the digital age. A bunch of thoughts on Amazon, Sony and digital distribution correlated into my mind. I realized that AmaZon, though behind in popularity now (maybe I dunno) has an advantage in the digital content distribution arena just by dint of the fact that it has your stored buying habits. When everyone from YouTube to Hulu are running commercials to pay for shows Amazon has the most right to claim buying commercial time from them is worth it since they can send those commercials to people who are actually buying things and can aim those commercials at the relevant market demographic.

I don't know where that fits into the whole scheme of things, what with one company buying out another company and on and on. It was just a thought.
What else?

Oh, yeah. So, for right now I was thinking of what I guess could be over simplified to be an online MYST movie club or something. Just something to show Legendary Picture Television what works for the MYST fan demographic, because maybe as more people discover MYST through the show, through news of the show, through word of mouth on Obduction etc that grouping of people will expand, with new people, but it will still be people who are into exploration, culture, environmentalism, art, language etc.

Somehow someone or something could get started correlating the data from that viewing pool or whatever. (No I don't watch madmen, I think I've seen 1 and a half episodes maybe).

That's it, brain dump complete.
Graizur
Obduction Backer

Re: Hulu, Comercials, viewing habits, and demographics.

Postby Graizur » Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Graizur
Obduction Backer

Re: Hulu, Comercials, viewing habits, and demographics.

Postby Twitch » Wed May 13, 2015 1:30 pm

I despise Hulu. Their commercials are always so intrusive, and the service itself isnt nearly fast or stable enough to warrant such blatant ad-spamming. It's almost as bad as Yahoo Screen.
Twitch

Return to Creativity