Magic Lost now on Kickstarter

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Magic Lost now on Kickstarter

Postby RushLimbaughUnderstands » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Shorah, gang. My name is Bryan, and I'm a would-be indie game developer. The game I'm working on is called Magic Lost. It's a point-and-click adventure. It's about a witch who uses magic spells and potions to battle wizards. But it's all based on story and puzzles. It's honestly not at all similar to Uru, or any of the Myst games. I couldn't make a Myst clone if I wanted to. But to say it's inspired by Myst is an understatement.

Playing the Myst games, reading the books, as a young high school student, it was hugely influential to me to read about "The Art". About creating worlds with a very specifically disciplined form of writing. It's probably the main reason I went into computer programming. That idea was so special to me.

Then I very nearly died. Got into a bad car wreck, broke my neck in 3 places. They had to scrape asphalt off of my brain. They couldn't even get it all, they just got as much as they could. (If you watch my pitch video, you'll notice I'm wearing a hat. This is to cover up damage from the wreck.) Video games became a big part of my cognitive and physical therapy. Which was fine with me, because I loved games already. But my appreciation of them deepened.

My love of games and fascination with The Art led me to pursue a career in game development. It took 4 years of college and 8 years of rejection to land my first game dev job. And 3 months after I started, the company closed its doors. That's when I decided to do something I loved. A point-and-click adventure. Came up with a concept with my artist friend Michaela, and for the past 2 years, we've been working on it as a spare time project.

Sorry, this is life-story long, and I normally don't go into this much detail. This is just a place where I feel like I'm among friends. And I know this crowd doesn't mind a bit of reading. :) This is shameless self-promotion. I hate talking about myself. Hate it with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. But it has to happen. I feel like my whole life has led up to this one thing. And if we don't get our funding, it'll probably never be finished. And that's ok, maybe it doesn't deserve to be finished. But I have to try. I need a mighty force, and you guys are a mighty force. I've seen what we were able to do for Rand and the team to make Obduction a reality. They absolutely earned and deserved that. I haven't earned and don't deserve anything. But I hope you guys will take a look at my project and see if you feel like being a part of it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... magic-lost

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any assistance you can offer toward letting others know about it.

-Bryan
"We can do wonders, you and I. Wonders."

Bryan: 00120717
RushLimbaughUnderstands
Obduction Backer

Return to Creativity