Gehn's Uniform- 2016 Cosplay (W.I.P)

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Gehn's Uniform- 2016 Cosplay (W.I.P)

Postby T-Squared » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:33 pm

I've been considering this costume for a while, especially since I was able to put together a nice-looking Wizardmon costume based on Digimon back in 2014, and even improved upon it in 2015.

Since Rivenchan already did this, I thought I could try to do one better. (Also, thanks for the post on Tumblr about the materials you used, RC!)

I have a list of materials that I need already planned out, and I have found a few of those just this past weekend, along with a few other materials that I've found, but haven't bought/cannot buy yet.

Also, I'm not a big fan of taking apart naval military caps to get at the embroidered filigree designs. and while I'm a stickler for accuracy, there are times I'm willing to sacrifice accuracy for price, so I'm going for the cheaper iron-on versions you can find easily on eBay.

As for the belt buckle, I've recently built a medium-temperature metal-melting foundry (classic concrete-in-bucket), and I've actually melted some aluminum that I had previously hoped to use for a computer project. I might melt some brass to make the belt buckle.

Unfortunately, I've run into a small problem. I have no idea what kind of fabric to use for the suit. TBH, Rivenchan's suit looks nicely-made, but it's the wrong material. I've looked at many images of the suit, and the clearest one I could find was one of Rivenchan standing next to the official suit, in her version.

Her's looks like felt or wool fabric. The official suit looks like it was made either from a cotton canvas material (the white part) or from polar fleece (the yellow/gold part), or maybe even both.

If anyone can help me, I'd really like some insight into what the suit is made out of.

(Original Photo by Rivenchan, modified by me)
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Re: Gehn's Uniform- 2016 Cosplay (W.I.P)

Postby T-Squared » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Good News, everyone! (No, that's not exactly a Futurama Reference)

I seem to have found the same buttons that the Seattle Opera used originally for Gehn's coat!

Yes, I understand the buttons have two parts:
The bottom half, which are old Russian hat badges (and will get in the future. Thanks again for the info, RC!), and the top half, which are the buttons that I have found.

Now, how did they make the overcoat so that the two halves came together nicely/evenly, AND with the buttons sitting flat against the fabric?

T-Squared

Postby Tai'lahr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Maybe they're not buttons, but clasps or pins.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby T-Squared » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Ooooh... Here's a detail I missed on my initial research!

Gehn has some extra cuff buttons on his coat that we DO NOT see unless the player traps themselves in the book in Tay, and it's safe to assume that he has them on BOTH sleeves!

I'm going to see about getting these smaller versions. (Yes, they do exist, and yes, I have found them.)

EDIT: SUCCESS! I have BOTH sets of buttons on the way!

T-Squared

Postby Ainia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Shorah b'shem T-Squared,

Here are some photos I took in 2014 at Cyan HQ:

The uniform fabrics looks like cream and yellow wool twill to me, and the cloak/cape lining looks like silk charmeuse, just in case that helps. The cloak looks like it was made using the same cream fabric as the jacket and pants.

You should be able to download full-resolution photos and examine them more closely.

Good luck!
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby T-Squared » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Ainia wrote:Shorah b'shem T-Squared,

Here are some photos I took in 2014 at Cyan HQ:

The uniform fabrics looks like cream and yellow wool twill to me, and the cloak/cape lining looks like silk charmeuse, just in case that helps. The cloak looks like it was made using the same cream fabric as the jacket and pants.

You should be able to download full-resolution photos and examine them more closely.

Good luck!

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

YES!

This is EXACTLY what I need! I was SO in the dark about what fabric to use for the uniform! I almost used polyester or polar fabric! This is great! 8D

I found my coat buttons on a leap of faith a couple of days ago, and it turns out they're exactly the correct ones!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, AINIA!

T-Squared

Postby T-Squared » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been chomping at the bit to get the correct fabric for this costume, but so far, I haven't had any luck.

I got some assistance from Shoomlah on Twitter, who pointed out that the costume is made out of felted wool, which I have found is NOT the same as felt. (It's like wool that has been put through the dryer, and allowed to puff up with some fabric pilling.) I almost thought it was tweed at first, but that seems to not be the case.

That's the problem I've been running into. This kind of fabric is very difficult to find online, and even when I do, it's sold almost exclusively as quilting squares!

On the other hand, I DO have:
  • The large dragon-and-shield motif buttons that adorn the front of Gehn's uniform
  • The large modified Russian expletive badges that sit behind those buttons
  • and finally, the small buttons with the same dragon motif that are on Gehn's sleeve cuffs

All I need as far as other materials is the gold trim that adorns the cuffs, jacket front, and shoulders. (I bought some different ribbon about two weeks ago, but it doesn't look right, so I might go for some nice-looking ribbon sometime.)

The leaf branches on the sleeves, shoulders, and collar are not so difficult, because even I have my limits, and I don't want to buy expensive vintage military hats just for their embroidered leaf branches. I'd much rather go for the cheaper designs.

T-Squared

Postby Ainia » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Shorah b'shem again, T-Squared,

So glad to hear that Shoomie was able to help out! :-D

Regarding finding felted wool online, you might try contacting the vendors to see where they get their source fabric. They might even be willing to sell you larger pieces if you ask nicely. ;-)

In your shoes, I would start with someone like this (Etsy is a great place to find small businesses and hobbyists who are passionate about their craft). Every person I've done business with on Etsy thus far has been friendly, helpful and very, very grateful for my support and interest. :-)

Keep us posted!
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby T-Squared » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Well, crud.

Well, crap.

Well, crudcrap.

I'm sure that the vendor I found does a nice job of producing their fabric (It really looked like the fabric that you could find on Gehn's outfit!), but unfortunately, it is not within the price range we had hoped it to be. (Extremely expensive for normal 45" or 60" loom-width fabric, when it's cut to clothing-pattern-required lengths!)

Now, the question is, what fabric do I use now?

I at least still have a backup plan, a website that sells other wool fabric: http://www.militaryheritage.com/wool.htm , because it was what I considered before Shoomlah explained what Gehn's coat was really made of.

So, my costume may not be accurate (down to the fabric), but at least I can still make it look nice.

T-Squared

Postby T-Squared » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Update!!!

I seem to have found a website that can provide for my fabric!

http://www.fabric.com (Search "Melton Wool Fabric")

At the moment, the fabric I'm looking for is out of stock, but it should return around May 6th.

Other people who have reviewed this site are saying not to go with it. I'm not so sure as of yet. The swatch samples I received seem nice and as close to the original coat's fabric as possible.

I'm not sure about how thick the original's fabric is, but it seems reasonable for the quality and price I'm looking for.

Also, it's cheaper than buying in bulk the fabric that I DON'T want from the Military Heritage website. (It was a last-resort fabrics material site, in case I couldn't find what I wanted in a reasonable price range)

Anyways, I hope I can get this fabric in the next few months, if not weeks.

T-Squared

Postby T-Squared » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 am

Second Update:

I'm still not giving up! For some reason, I had an inkling that Fabric.com was not the only retailer selling that fabric. (Known as "The Seasons Wool Collection") It turns out I was right! Several other retailers I've found online sell them, and I'm sure they have better reviews than Fabric.com! In fact, the fabric I need may be just down the street from my home!

Anyways, I'm going to use a slightly different color of the central trim, the epaulette designs, and the cuffs to better fit into the budget of my project. I can't find the exact color because it doesn't seem to exist anymore, and I don't want to take the risk of dyeing the white wool the exact color.

This project seems to be going well, and I have a plan on how to make Gehn's D'ni bayonet out of PVC plastic! (with a nice false "firing" effect.)

T-Squared

Postby T-Squared » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Third Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw

Yes, I was so close. Yes, both fabrics were at the store that I went to. HOWEVER...

The price was WAY too much for what we were expecting. ($35 a yard?)

Not only that, but they only had the white fabric in our wanted length. The yellow fabric was too small.

Still not giving up yet, though. I've already found a fabrics dealer that may have what we want, within the price range that I need.

T-Squared

Postby KathAveara » Sun May 01, 2016 6:27 am

I always enjoy reading your posts, because of that line in your sig.

Good luck wit hte fabric!
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby T-Squared » Sat May 28, 2016 6:49 pm

I found the lining at a cheaper price than I would normally ($3.00/yard from Wal-Mart!, compared with $6.00 from Hancock Fabrics), and....

My wool is on the way!

I have not yet worked on the buttons, though. I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm thinking that they are like double eye-and-hook affairs, but it's too difficult to describe here. (I wish we could learn some of the secrets that Cyan has regarding their costumes. XD)

Also, I'm not willing to go the extra mile for perfection. The trim wool fabric is a more vibrant yellow (like a goldenrod), but that's fine. The main fabric is also off-white (not cream), which is also fine by me for the same reason.

Anyways, I've taken a big leap with this costume, which could not have happened without the help of my parents. :D

The next pieces to get? The plastic parts that make up the prop bayonet weapon.

T-Squared

Postby Yali » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:31 pm

I believe those Riven costumes were made by the Seattle Opera. That definitely ensured quality.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Return to Creativity