Island creator....

Have something you made that was inspired by Cyan / Cyan games? Show it off here!

Island creator....

Postby Sliman studios » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 pm

So I have been thinking, and I am planning on recreating the device from riven, that whenever you press a button it will create the islands in a three-dimensional form. but instead of using metal rods like it was on the game, I am thinking about using ferrofluid instead and have it controlled by magnetic fields.

Does anyone have any ideas on this????
Sliman studios

Re: Island creator....

Postby Twitch » Sun May 08, 2016 12:44 am

Magnetic fields interact with other magnetic fields in the area. Getting them to produce the shapes you want is going to be almost impossible, and is going to require very large amounts of electricity and complex mathematics.
Twitch

Postby Sliman studios » Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 am

I know tell me about it, but I think I found a way to do it that is a lot cheaper then what I was thinking... all I have to do is build a barrier using copper sheets and they will contain the magnetic fields within them but I got to first see if my idea will work...
Sliman studios

Postby Twitch » Thu May 12, 2016 12:05 am

Except the issue is that the magnetic field affecting one peg will also affect all the pegs near it, which will make it basically impossible to make the pegs recreate a specific shape. If you want to mess around with this idea, get a program that simulates the interaction between magnetic fields, and try to make the island in that program.

This is basically the machine you need to build; this highly funded and highly educated team was only to make it with very thick pegs, and it's not very precise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sheoGMsy3Q

On top of that, if you want to recreate the map device with the same accuracy it has in Riven, you would need ten thousand individual pegs, each one with it's own actuator.
Twitch

Postby Sliman studios » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

yes i agree with you and that was a cool video....... but i was hopping for them to cross to create what i need.. i will upload the patterns once i get them drawn.... so you will know what i plan on doing..... in a nut shell i will use one magnetic field to warp another to create what i need t to create within barriers that will focus the magnetic fields upward instead of out.... it an ideal right now..... but ill take you suggestions in consideration. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Sliman studios

Postby Twitch » Sat May 14, 2016 12:36 am

Magnets don't work like that.
Twitch

Postby Sliman studios » Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Just wait and see....ill show once i build it......
Sliman studios

Return to Creativity