Kickstarter Thread - Share Kickstarters

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

Re: Kickstarter Thread - Share Kickstarters

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:54 am

I have been honored and privileged to have played both the Demo and the Alpha for The Eyes Of Ara. I have Ben Droste's (the Programmer and Developer) permission to release these two movies of my game play. I used DIVX and MP4 compression so you will need to have DIVX loaded on your system to play these 2 movies.

This game is in the early stage of development so what you see is just a teaser NOT the actual game. Again this is unfinished and a Pre-released Version of the Game.

I would suggest that you right click and save these movies to your system, If you have a slow internet connection.
Once you have these movies saved you can open and play them (Full Screen) with either the DIVX Player or Internet Explorer.
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby WeldFord » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:13 am

Looks great ! :P

But can you play without the nodes ?
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 am

As the Game stands now It is not possible, for it is Node Based
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks for sharing, Wamduskasapa, but I'll wait for my own copy of the game - no spoilers! :lol:
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm

Chuck Carter, formerly of Cyan, has a Kickstarter going for a new game he's working on called ZED. (30 more days to go on the funding.) It looks really awesome, Myst-like but very creative with some really interesting new ideas. I really hope this one gets off the ground! :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368459285/zed
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Tue May 31, 2016 2:37 pm

That actually looks pretty cool.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Tue May 31, 2016 2:53 pm

There's a demo linked on the KS page. Looks very nice, although it thrashes the snot out of my iMac. (Perhaps a bad sign for Obduction play, I know.)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby KDeFlane » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:52 pm

belford wrote:There's a demo linked on the KS page. Looks very nice, although it thrashes the snot out of my iMac.

But this means you did sucessfully download the file? I've tried at least 4 times to download that demo (as a .zip file over 2GB which is an estimated 20 minutes to download -- oh, but for Windows, not Mac), and failed after only a few minutes each time. Once I got as far as having only 9 minutes remaining before it failed. I'll try again late tonight, hoping it is a demand/traffic issue and not a problem on my end.

For convenience, here's the download page, but do take a look at the campaign on kickstarter as well.
http://www.eagregames.com/download/
KDeFlane
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Yes, I got the download to complete (and unpack and run).

It's on Dropbox, which is not ideal for distributing large files to the public; maybe they're throttling it. Somebody may have a mirror somewhere. (I didn't keep a copy.)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby KDeFlane » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:16 pm

So I did finally get the huge .zip file to completely download, and I unpacked it. But when I run the .exe I get a message telling me I need more components, specifically two runtime libraries. I think it was something like Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 and 2015. I'd love to hear from someone running the Windows version of the demo, just to confirm. I'm not ready to add/install more pieces, although it isn't deal-breaker, just annoying that it wasn't included (probably for licensing reasons). This isn't typical of a demo in my experience, which is why I am asking before I do something I'll regret later. Thanks!
KDeFlane
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Yes, you do need to install those libraries for it to run. I didn't run into this problem myself, but I usually install those libraries when I either do a new OS install, and if not I usually install a game that will automatically run the runtime installers when needed.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Agesage » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:18 am

I tried the demo and it runs ok on my 970, although I had to Alt-Enter to get fullscreen and I couldn't get Vsync working. Anyway, I liked the artstyle so I backed it. :D
Agesage

Postby smantz0rZ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 am

Original MYST artist Chuck Carter is currently running a Kickstarter for his new masterpiece 'ZED.' Many people are referring to it as a "Myst-like" game. Rand and Robyn have both tweeted about it and spread info in the last Obduction update.

Project is 67% funded in the last weeks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368459285/zed
smantz0rZ

Postby KDeFlane » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

smantz0rZ wrote:Project is 67% funded in the last weeks.

(scroll up to May 31 to see this same link posted, which is what led to the discussion which came after.)

Yes, only 7 days remain with $12,000+ still needed to reach their goal. I did finally allow my system to install the C++ modules, and ran the demo. It was rather [the forum didn't like the word I used here], stuttering thru the early screens where a giant sculpture is rotating. Once past that point, I could wander the more-static scenes easily. It's a lovely environment, although nothing amazing at first, it holds some awesome visual surprises. The pathways do beckon me, and I look forward to playing it some day. Maybe by the time it is available for sale, I'll have upgraded my video and CPU to make for a smoother experience.

{update: June 27} With only 3 days remaining, they are now within $5,000 of their goal. Spread the word!

And I've replayed the demo now several times, just because I enjoy walking around the environment. The music is soothing, too. FYI, I was able to leave the path in a few places, which is a good sign for future gameplay.
KDeFlane
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Good news - ZED is funded! :D The campaign is wrapping up soon, but it's not too late to kick in money toward stretch goals.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic