Dreamfall Chapters Closed, The Longest Journey Ended

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

Dreamfall Chapters Closed, The Longest Journey Ended

Postby azel » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:48 pm

The Kickstarter Dreamfall game project I donated money to died. Here are a few lines from the article over at Steam News.

June 18th, 2016
[Dreamfall Chapters Closed, The Longest Journey Ended. This is the end, my only cyberfriend, the end. Episode 5 of adventure game Dreamfall Chapters [official site] launched last night and, unless something strange and wonderful happens, that will likely be the end of the whole thing. It’s the end of Dreamfall and it’s the end of its overarching series The Longest Journey.]

To bad. I really liked the original game (The Longest Journey) and played it more than once. I heard a lot of bad reviews about the chapters released on this new game they were making. I had planned to wait until it was finished before playing it, but it might be better to let it die
azel

Re: Dreamfall Chapters Closed, The Longest Journey Ended

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:15 am

Dead? I don't know what you're talking about. They finished the game! The project isn't dead, and never was! It's not even really over yet, as there's still going to be some additional material that was promised in the Kickstarter, and there is still a ton of mysteries to figure out that should keep people talking for a while.

As for reviews, the ones I've seen have been generally favorable. Have they been glowing, no, but general consensus is that the game is pretty good. Having played it myself, both as it was released, and again all in one go after the final book came out, it is a very good game.

The story is excellent. The characters are full, rich, and wonderful. The art of the game is stunning. And the choices system is fairly well implemented (although I do have some complaints on that one). Are there issues with it, of course there are, just as there are with any game, but I feel that generally they are minor and don't spoil the experience.

Now, Ragnar (writer, founder, and creator) has started that this will likely be the last game of the series. There was originally planned another game, more a sequel to TLJ, but it seems as if that is off the table for now. And honestly, after how DFC ended, I'm not sure it's needed, which is probably the primary reason there won't be one. This game wrapped up the saga very nicely. As a longtime fan of the series, the ending was just about perfect.

Also, Steam News? Hardly the best source for information about anything.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Re: Dreamfall Chapters Closed, The Longest Journey Ended

Postby Tomala » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Actually it's from Steam's news feed, originally posted on RPS.

The article doesn't say anything about the game being dead. Done? Yeah, the final book was released.

It's probably better to click and read the actual article rather than read a tiny bit and assume the worst. :roll:
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Return to Off-Topic