Spam after Paypal donations?

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

Spam after Paypal donations?

Postby debeh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

I've used Paypal to donate for Obduction and MOULa. Now the E-Mail adress linked with my Paypal-account has received some spam with realmyst advertising. At least there is an Opt-out link given.
BUT:
Does that mean i will end up on that mailing list with any further donation i'll give? Just asking, because there are lots of other ways to spend my money without getting mails i didn't ask for....
debeh

Re: Spam after Paypal donations?

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 am

I donated through Kickstarter and I received that e-mail as well, although it was in my spam folder. I believe those mails are being sent because you are a backer and you will get updates that way too?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby debeh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 am

The problem is: it is no update, it is advertising another product.

I use different E-Mail accounts on purpose: i don't want important information about payments etc. being lost in any other stuff or deleted by a spam-filter
(and yes, therefore i happily accept not having access to the backers forum by not using the same adress here).
debeh

Postby WeldFord » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 am

That's why there an unsuscribe option, so if you are not interesed in receiving a Cyan newsletter you can opt-out :)
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 pm

I got two RealMyst notices, actually -- one to the address I use on cyan.com, one to the address I use on kickstarter.com.

(BTW, if these are different, you can file a support request for the backers forum. See greydragon's comment: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=145&start=75#p3568 )

It's *generally* regarded as acceptable practice -- not spam -- for a company to add you to their mailing list once you've done business with them. As long as they accept opt-out requests, obviously.

I don't know how Cyan would handle your address if you make further donations.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Please use the Opt-out link given. It will take you off the newsletter, but will keep you in the other database we have for backer updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ryan Warzecha
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby Tai'lahr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm

I also rec'd two notices for realMyst - to the two addresses I have used for these and the DRC forums. Personally, I was thrilled to see Cyan taking the initiative to finally start promoting their products directly to the fans.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Charura » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm

I (me, myself) find it kinda funny that people complain about Cyan not promoting their products, and yet, when Cyan does try to promote their products, those same people (not to infer in this instance) complain about that as well?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby ljbade » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 am

I didn't even know what this was about until I looked in my spam folder... I have now added Cyan to my non-spam list so I can see what is going on.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 am

Hmm... it appears Cyan forgot to tell you what they where going to use your email for.(or it's hidden in some TOS). Now a question, does anyone know if none-backers can get the Cyan news letter too?
Jamie Marchant

Postby janaba1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:10 am

Tai'lahr wrote:I also rec'd two notices for realMyst - to the two addresses I have used for these and the DRC forums. Personally, I was thrilled to see Cyan taking the initiative to finally start promoting their products directly to the fans.

Charura wrote:I (me, myself) find it kinda funny that people complain about Cyan not promoting their products, and yet, when Cyan does try to promote their products, those same people (not to infer in this instance) complain about that as well?

I was exactly thinking the same like you two and I would have mentioned just the same if you both or anyone else had not lol ... 8-) So, thanks for that, but everyone is free to see and handle everything differently of course, and I really honestly mean this, I was just a bit puzzled as so many of us so called 'oldtimers' really wished for Cyan to step up and come forward more regular, prominent and bold ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Return to Off-Topic