If you liked Myst you should play..

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

If you liked Myst you should play..

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:34 pm

... The journeyman project serries which was made by Presto Studios who made Myst III They are. quite a good serris, they are fun but not too challanging.

... and if you liked my text-avendure serries then I suggest you check out the Monkey Island serries, as it has a very simalar silly sense of humer.

Now it's your term, what games do you recommend the cummunuity plays?
Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Marchant

Re: If you liked Myst you should play..

Postby Ainia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Easy peasy, Extrasolar!

Like all things Myst, it appeals to one's sense of curiosity, rewards exploration and encourages logical thinking. And like Uru, it blends the real world with the game world, which provides a great sense of immersion. :D
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Just played a game galled To the Moon. There's not a lot of gameplay involved, but exploration is key to understanding the story completely. If you're looking for something to take you on an emotional roller-coaster, this is it.

Some other recent games I've found are Machinarium, and Lilly Looking Through. Both are excellent games.

Of course, there are always the classics:

Like Syberia (Syberia III is coming out soon)

Make sure to check out The Longest Journey series. The next installment comes out in a few months.

The Zork series is always fun.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Horatio » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 am

Easy: The Room (iPad/Android/PC) and The Room Two (iPad/Android). Great graphics, interesting story, excellent puzzles, atmospheric music and sound FX, and creepy overall atmosphere.

Highly recommended, and priced nicely at a $1 and $3 each, respectively (Steam version of The Room is $5).

For those prices, what the heck are you waiting for?
Horatio
[MOULa KI #00075975]
[MOUL KI #00676569]
Member in good standing of the URU Karaoke Community
Horatio
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Horatio wrote:Easy: The Room (iPad/Android/PC) and The Room Two (iPad/Android). Great graphics, interesting story, excellent puzzles, atmospheric music and sound FX, and creepy overall atmosphere.

Highly recommended, and priced nicely at a $1 and $3 each, respectively (Steam version of The Room is $5).

For those prices, what the heck are you waiting for?

Seconded. I love those games.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Visian_Thistle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 pm

First I'll put in a plug for a brand new game called "The Maker's Eden" that I just played last night. This one is less about puzzles (though there are a few non-challenging brain teasers); it might be best to think of it as a sci-fi noir comic come to life, with you as the protagonist. Atmospheric and mysterious. Only the first episode is done, but if you buy it you get all three when they are released. http://makerseden.screwylightbulb.com/

Now for some older favorites:

Schizm: Mysterious Journey. This is a good one if you like your puzzles on the hard side. The environments are beautiful and there is plenty of alien tech to play with.

Lighthouse: The Dark Being. An early Myst clone. Despite the fact that its graphics feel a little cheap compared to Myst (I don't think they put as much effort into the textures), I found it engaging and loved the premise and environments. Coaxing it to run on newer machines may require some effort, so buyer beware.

I see nobody has mentioned Riddle of the Sphinx yet. It's not one of the greatest IMO, but has a nice atmosphere and puzzles. There is also a sequel, which I haven't played but want to.

If you like second-person 2D adventure games, Primordia by Wormwood Studios/Wadjet Eye Games comes with my highest recommendation.

King's Quest is also an old and beloved favorite, good for you if you like pseudo-medieval fairy tales. There are FREE fan-made remakes of games I, II, and III in the series available: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html King's Quest V and VI represent the "golden age" of classic adventure gaming, and are also worth having; you can get them running fairly easily in DosBox.
Visian_Thistle
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 am

Probably worth noting, then, that Activision has resurrected the "Sierra" label and announced a new King's Quest game for next year. (http://www.sierra.com/) Licensed to a small studio, interestingly.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby area51 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 am

Maybe you could play Mind:Path to Thalamus?
Image Image PolyStudio.shop, my Wife's Polymer Clay online Shop - Grover, MAhmtee Bevin : KI #123057
area51
Obduction Backer

Postby numinous » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 am

I cannot recommend "Mind: Path to Thalamus" enough. I only just got it and aren't a great way through it but so far I am super impressed. If anyone wants an idea of what obduction might be like I think this game is it. It's only an indie game and as such it's fairly basic, but if it is any indication of the future of adventure gaming we're in for a new golden age I think.

This game is overflowing with gorgeous visuals and just oozes atmosphere. Check out a couple of screen shots and you'll see what I mean. Can't wait to see what Cyan can do with Unreal if this is what can be made by just a few people with no budget.
DeviantArt page with my Myst replicas http://numinous80.deviantart.com/
Check out my Riven website "Riven Illuminated" at http://mystarchive.com/rivenil/
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 am

numinous wrote:I cannot recommend "Mind: Path to Thalamus" enough. I only just got it and aren't a great way through it but so far I am super impressed. If anyone wants an idea of what obduction might be like I think this game is it. It's only an indie game and as such it's fairly basic, but if it is any indication of the future of adventure gaming we're in for a new golden age I think.

This game is overflowing with gorgeous visuals and just oozes atmosphere. Check out a couple of screen shots and you'll see what I mean. Can't wait to see what Cyan can do with Unreal if this is what can be made by just a few people with no budget.

And there is hope for us Mac folks!
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:07 am

Jamie wrote:... and if you liked my text-avendure serries then I suggest you check out the Monkey Island serries, as it has a very simalar silly sense of humer.

Also for something incredably silly try Day Of The Tentical!(How could I have fogetten about that one).
Jamie Marchant

Return to Off-Topic