The Lantern Society Illuminates...A New Story Is Told

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

The Lantern Society Illuminates...A New Story Is Told

Postby Professor Askew » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Greetings, one and all! It's been some time but I have returned to say........greetings, one and all!

Some of you old timers may remember me in the Cavern during the original incarnation of Uru. I'd like to think I played a small part in the growth of The Great Tree under Brian Fioca et al, if only in a small way. I remember pounding out over days and weeks what can only be described as a declaration of principles and what we hoped would amount to positive change and growth in the Cavern. And later I had the pleasure of serving as a liaison between the explorers and the powers-that-be. What splendid times they were! When the DRC closed the Cavern's doors that first time, I was gut-wrenched. My reaction to that unfortunate event led to a project I conjured up with fellow explorer and Great Tree member Cycreim that would eventually evolve into Marten's documentary series of The Great Tree's history. When that baton was passed, I decided to turn my attention to the adventures of Professor Askew outside of the D'niverse.

And thus the reason for this long-winded post.

Eleven years ago I came upon, in the crowded and dusty attic of my mind, a new sandbox to play in that I have since christened the Station 12 Universe. The output of said universe has taken many forms over the years including game design, short films, and a novel...none of which saw the light of day. I am happy to announce that the drought has ended. This spring I will be releasing the first novel from this universe entitled, "The Lantern Society." I have been working on it for quite some time and it's finally ready for public consumption.

I can only describe the novel as a work of passion, combining what means the most to me with leaps into imagination to support it. Some will call it fantasy, some will call it science fiction. Some will label it a mystery. And maybe a few will call it literature. Still others will call it unmarketable. LOL

I won't go into the plot here. Suffice it to say that this is a tale of Professor Askew that takes place the summer before his discovery of the Cavern. It is also the first in a series (of course) that takes place both before and after the time of Uru and with no direct relation. And if I'm lucky, one day and with Cyan's blessing, I'll tell a tale of Uru and The Great Tree. But that's for another day.

Fans of Myst may like the story I'm telling in "The Lantern Society." Fans of the Dark Tower series might like it, too. People who enjoyed the film "Dark City" might get a kick out of it. There have been many influences in my life and I've embraced them all to tell this story. One of the themes central to the tale (not so much in this book) is that we live a fiction...(this I believe with all my heart)...and that our fictions come not just from our imaginations, but from a multitude of realities we've shut ourselves off from. We see them in our dreams and some of us, those who've learned to tear down the boundaries, can conjure the fantastic in a state of wakefulness. But as a whole...humanity has a very long way to go in harnessing the power of the mind.

On that cheerful note, let me get to marketing myself. I've created a Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/station12universe, and I invite each and everyone of you to visit, LIKE, and SHARE!! I have begun a campaign of teasers that will lead right up to publication. I've included them in this post to give you an idea. Please do stop by. I would love to grow my audience as I, myself, grow into my new role as author.

As a side note, I am always looking for artists and web people, so spread the word.

Professor Daniel Askew - A part of The Great Tree - Seeking the Journey since 2003
Professor Askew
Obduction Backer

Re: The Lantern Society Illuminates...A New Story Is Told

Postby janaba1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:13 am

Hello, and welcome back, Professor Askew, and what an amazing comeback that is ... :P

I have always highly valued your eloquence and your profound and contemplative stance and demeanor back in the days of Uru, D'Mala and MOUL, and have crossed my fingers for whatever part of 'your mysterious universe' you have introduced us to over at 'The Great Tree' ever since, and so it is absolutely wonderful that the first piece of your great 'projects' out of the 'Station 12 Universe' will 'see the light of day' for everyone feeling inspired to indulge in these intriguing adventures full of wisdom and magic ... :)

So, now I'm wishing you, of course, a great and astounding success with everything you aspire, intend and do and thus a huge and ever-growing fandom as well as inspired and dedicated artists and web developers etc. to support and co-create this wonderful development and expansion ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Re: The Lantern Society Illuminates...A New Story Is Told

Postby Professor Askew » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 am

Thank you, janaba! I always enjoy your enthusiasm and best wishes. I hope the world is treating you well.

The marketing campaign is just learning to crawl at this point, but I look forward to the day when it walks with the same enthusiasm and confidence you bring to the table. I'll have another update in the next day or two where I start to introduce the characters. Fun!
Professor Daniel Askew - A part of The Great Tree - Seeking the Journey since 2003
Professor Askew
Obduction Backer

Return to Off-Topic