Something Myst-like this way comes

Off-topic discussion (discussion that doesn't fall under any of the other categories)

Re: Something Myst-like this way comes

Postby Tai'lahr » Sun May 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Christian Walther identified one in another thread that I don't think has been mentioned here: Haven Moon.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Acorn1 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:33 am

Haven Moon looks gorgeous! :mrgreen:

Francois Roussel says on the game's Facebook page that he'll be making an announcement in a couple of weeks, having underestimated how long the final stages of development would take.

There's an October 2015 interview with him here http://www.blendernation.com/2015/10/19/interview-francois-roussel-game-developer-of-haven-moon/
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby HollyBluebird » Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 am

I was the one that posted about this game in my thread on haven moon. :) Christian found out on the game. :) I will add Haven moon to my list since i will try to keep it updated. Or if owner wants to put it on this forum i can do that too! :)
HollyBluebird

Postby Agesage » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:34 am

Xing has been delayed until Fall 2016. But you can watch the new E3 demo video. Looks fantastic!
Agesage

Postby smantz0rZ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 am

Original MYST artist Chuck Carter is currently running a Kickstarter for his new masterpiece 'ZED.' Many people are referring to it as a "Myst-like" game. Rand and Robyn have both tweeted about it and spread info in the last Obduction update.

Project is 67% funded in the last weeks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368459285/zed
smantz0rZ

Postby Agesage » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Haven Moon has been released on Steam.
Agesage

Postby area51 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:15 am

Agesage wrote:Haven Moon has been released on Steam.
Yep, already bought it, can't wait to have some spare time to play it! 8-)
Image Image PolyStudio.shop, my Wife's Polymer Clay online Shop - Grover, MAhmtee Bevin : KI #123057
area51
Obduction Backer

Postby Yali » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:31 pm

I just finished Haven Moon. Probably the only game that has made me cry. Not even Riven did that. The score plus the story is so emotional.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby catherwood » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:37 pm

I just *started* Haven Moon, so either you are very fast or the game is very short (or both). I am stuck at Cannon island, trying to get the power fluctuations to stabilize. I like the creator's description of the puzzles being not too hard yet not too easy, just the middle ground I enjoy. I admit to searching for hints and was tempted by a walkthru, but I'm happy to weather the storms and experiment for a while longer. My own computer was below their minimum requirements (for an i5 while I'm still on an i3 Intel Core), so I'm timesharing on a friend's computer. This does light a fire under me to begin serious shopping for an upgrade before Obduction comes out.
00292608 on MOULa 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
catherwood

Postby Agesage » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 am

Yali wrote:I just finished Haven Moon. Probably the only game that has made me cry. Not even Riven did that. The score plus the story is so emotional.

Really? If you were talking about To the Moon I'd believe you, that game is an emotinal masterpiece. But Haven Moon's story is ... let's just say not so special. The music and visuals are top notch though. It looks incredible, almost as good as Riven! But unfortunately performance is horrible, even on my i5 and GTX 970. Especially on Cannon Island.

I finished the game (took me 6 hours), but I admit I needed a hint on two occasions.There were some leaps of (il)logic required that made no sense to me. The solution to entering the House in particular was infuriatingly obscure. Travelling between the islands also involved tons of loading screens, again and again and again. I had visions of the old Riven CD swapping.

My verdict:
Graphics/Music: 10 out of 10.
Gameplay/Puzzles: 6 out of 10.
Writing/Story: 3 out of 10.
Agesage

Postby Yali » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I found the act of saving the library deeply emotional, plus with that score.... Maybe because of my deep philosophical appreciation for knowledge and lore/stories along with being a Myst fan and the importance of books to the saga. I found it was a great act of humility in saving the history of an entire world over personal gain. I found that choice very beautiful, especially as I'm floating in space with all those books which I could spend the rest of my life reading, but hey I'm one of those guys who's main obsession with Myst is based on all that D'ni lore (I was a Liberal Arts major in University with a fondness for history.)

...and I tend to never cry over characters. Its always the bigger picture that gets me emotional.

I still would have loved to actually read the books in game and see more personal items like journals, character background info and just the typical Myst "stuff" that you fiddle with.

Story: 8/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Music: 10/10
Art direction: 9/10

Would have loved more interactables/personal items and lore but the story was fine enough without them.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby Charura » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Only one complaint ... No Sound Options,,, volume or otherwise
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Agesage » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:08 am

The Eyes of Ara has been released on Steam.
Agesage

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Agesage wrote:The Eyes of Ara has been released on Steam.

Thanks for mentioning that! I'd been planning on getting this game but forgot that it was being released today. I'm not sure when I'll have time to play it, but I went ahead and purchased it because I definitely want to!
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 pm

For those of us who have watched over and eagerly followed the development of White Lotus Interactive and it's 3 ambitious developers with the exciting MYST Like game since February of 2013 - We have today - received exciting news.

XING: The Land Beyond will shortly be within its Beta Test (Later part of November or December)
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic