Masterpiece Edition on Sale in Humble Store

General discussion about realMyst.

Masterpiece Edition on Sale in Humble Store

Postby Marck » Fri May 02, 2014 3:51 am

Currently, the Humble Store offers realMYST Masterpiece Edition for a discount price. You get DRM-free downloads for both Windows and MacOS and a key for redeeming the game on Steam. Payment options are credit card and Paypal.

The Humble Store's normal price for realMYST Masterpiece Edition is already less than the regular price on Steam, and the sale's price is even lower. So if you haven't got the Masterpiece Edition yet, this may be a good chance.
KI# 48956 - Bartle Test: ESAK (87/53/47/13)
Marck
Obduction Backer

Re: Masterpiece Edition on Sale in Humble Store

Postby Shorahmin » Fri May 02, 2014 7:11 pm

What does Steam do for the Game. Am I missing something? Why can't we just buy it (Paypal is my choice and play it without Steam?
Play nice Shorahmin, play nice...
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby Marck » Fri May 02, 2014 10:23 pm

With the version from the Humble Store, you can play it without Steam. That's what I meant with “DRM-free,“ i.e. there is not any copy-protection or digital rights management (DRM) involved.

The benefit that Steam offers to the user is the automatic updating: if there will be any patches, fixes, or other updates to your games/software, then Steam applies them automatically, and there is some convenience functionality when you use a game/software on more than one computer. But again, the version from the Humble Store can be used without Steam.

Unfortunately, it appears that the sale is already over; however, the price is still less than the one on Steam.
Marck
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat May 03, 2014 7:20 am

You also get a Steam 'trading card' for each age you complete [sarcastic yeah!].
Jamie Marchant

Postby Acorn1 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:15 am

Does anyone know whether the Humble version has the patch already applied?
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Marck » Sat May 03, 2014 10:36 am

Acorn1 wrote:Does anyone know whether the Humble version has the patch already applied?

Is there an "official" way to find out the game's patch revision? I could not find anything resembling version information in the game (I looked through the menu and skimmed over the help pages a little). In the properties of the main executable realMyst.exe, Windows lists a "file version" of 4.2.2.12621 and a "product version" of 4.2.2.78157.

Anyways, most of the game files have a time stamp from February 26th and since the patch was announced on Steam on February 28th, my guess is that it indeed has that patch applied.
Marck
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion