Missing - the Intro movie to Riven

Re: Missing - the Intro movie to Riven

Postby korovev » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 am

To be fair, Riven and Myst only work with the development build, so bugs and crashes are actually fewer than what they could (and used to) be ;)

EDIT: I gave a look at the Mohawk todo list, and sound fading is indeed there.
KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 am

OK, I am assuming the ScummVM development build is exactly the one I got for Myst Masterpiece (from Korov'ev , dude, thanks again! Myst complete :) ), but here I am again and I cannot for the life of me, get Riven (also MasterEd. 10th anniv.) to install. I've been browsing forums and trying and re-trying to install it for the last few hours. I keep getting a message in the ScummVM browser saying:

"You are missing a Riven executable. The Windows executable is a 'riven.exe' or 'rivendmo.exe'. Using the 'arcriven.z' installer file also works. In addition you can use the Mac 'Riven' executable."

I then hit 'OK' and get the ol' 'Game data not found' error. Sigh.

The only file of any of the ones 'suggested' by ScummVM that I can find on the disk at all is the arcriven.z file. Which will not open, nor can it be selected from the ScummVM browser (it is 'faded'). I looked up .z files and was told to decompress it.... which turned it into a .cpgz (<I hope I'm remembering that right!)....which is also not able to be selected by ScummVM.... (Oh, and if I try to open the .cpgz file it becomes another .z file)

Aiyiyiyiyi.

:lol: at least I'm learning a few new techhy things... :roll:
delia

Postby Agesage » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 am

Delia, you did install the game to hard disk first right?
1) Install the game normally like you always would. (or copy these files to a Riven folder)
2) Run ScummVM and Add Game. Here, I selected the folder itself where I installed 'Riven', not any particular file in there.

And does the 10th anniv. edition install all the data files on hard disk? If not, you have to manually copy all the MHK files in the data folder from DVD to the data folder on the hard disk.
Last edited by Agesage on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Agesage

Postby Agesage » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:49 am

Thanks for that TODO-link Korovev. This explains the Sunner-video corruption I saw:
In one instance, the lower staircase with the sunners, the water effect can overwrite the video.
Agesage

Postby delia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm

I can't directly install it on my computer, as it is a Mac running 10.8.2. I did, however, make a folder and copy everything from the Riven dvd into it. Same thing... All the data (.MHK) files, every file that starts with 'riven', as well as many others, are faded.
delia

Postby korovev » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:37 am

You need to select the folder that contains the files, not the files themselves.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:42 am

First I tried selecting the 'Data' file. It contained:
a_Data.MHK
a_Sounds.MHK
b_Data.MHK
b_Sounds.MHK
b2_data.MHK
Extras.MHK
g_Data.MHK
g_Sounds.MHK
j_Data1.MHK
j_Data2.MHK
j_Sounds.MHK
o_Data.MHK
o_Sounds.MHK
p_Data.MHK
p_Sounds.MHK
r_Data.MHK
r_Sounds.MHK
t_Data1.MHK
t_Data2.MHK
t_Sounds.MHK

This file does not have 'riven.exe or arcriven.z or Riven (Mac executable)' in it, so then I tried selecting the entire 'Riven' file copied from the game disc. Both still got me the same error messages.

There is a 'riven.dbd' file in the 'bin' folder, 2 files with the name 'riven' in the 'English' file ('Riven.exe' w/POM logo beside it + 'Riven' which says it is a app...) + a 'riven.ink'. Then there is the 'arcriven.z' file in the program file.

I tried making another folder with the data file + Riven.exe (when that didn't work I swapped the .exe file with 'Riven' and after THAT didn't work, arcriven.z).

Each time I got the same message... :?
delia

Postby Agesage » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 am

The executable file (riven.exe or arcriven.z or Riven (Mac executable) should be placed in a folder called Riven on your HARD DRIVE, as well as all those data files. The contents of that folder should look like this (if you chose arcriven.z as your executable):

a_Data.MHK
a_Sounds.MHK
arcriven.z
b_Data.MHK
b_Sounds.MHK
b2_data.MHK
Extras.MHK
g_Data.MHK
g_Sounds.MHK
j_Data1.MHK
j_Data2.MHK
j_Sounds.MHK
o_Data.MHK
o_Sounds.MHK
p_Data.MHK
p_Sounds.MHK
r_Data.MHK
r_Sounds.MHK
t_Data1.MHK
t_Data2.MHK
t_Sounds.MHK

Then run ScummVM and select that Riven FOLDER on you hard drive. That's all.

(by the way, you say file when you mean folder.)
Agesage

Postby delia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

Agesage, thanks for the correction ;)

The 'Riven' folder is on my HD.

I'm going to start again from scratch :P
delia

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:08 am

RivenX seems to be unmainaned, which is unforchent since it looked like a cool project.
Jamie Marchant

Postby delia » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Update~
All is working now. I'm going to guess it was my computer :P After 4 tries of erasing everything and starting again, it all works :) So, sweet, I've never played Riven + it looks awesome!
Also, I'm very grateful to you people walking me, so patiently, through installing these 'old' games.
Thanks!
delia

Postby korovev » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:11 am

Great! Mysteries of software :roll:

Have fun!
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 pm

As it seems I may be stuck in the hospital for surgery a while, I thought I should make sure Exile would work too... but it seems ScummVM doesn't like it. I am trying out ResidualVM, that I saw in a few posts (in a google search) works for Exile.
So, it starts, it seems to run great, but I can't get it to save a game.... I tried ctrl+f5 (like ScummVM) and f1 (as I saw someone on the ResidualVM forum recommended for a different game) and just browsed through the launcher in case there was some obvious setting or something...

Sorry to be a pest..... :P

Ideas please?
delia

Postby korovev » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Nice! Though this should be moved to the Exile section ;)
If you press esc, you should get Exile’s own save interface. ResidualVM should be able to load those save files.

While we’re at it, here are some notes for those who want to try this method. Keep in mind that, according to the web page, it’s currently still buggy (more than Myst or Riven under ScummVM), and that you’ll need the daily build EDIT: you can now use the standard build. These are the files you’ll need, and here is the official debugging forum thread.

You will need these elements from your game CDs or DVD :
-- M3Data directory
-- Data directory
-- The original game executable (Windows or Mac)
-- The menu language file 'language.m3u', or '[LANGUAGE].m3u' (DVD only)

When using the CD version, you will need to merge the 'Data' directories from all four discs. Playing directly from the CDs is not supported.

The id.m3i files are probably not necessary.

The required files must be organized in the following manner to be recognized:
-- bin/M3.exe
-- Data/*.m3a
-- M3Data/ Various files and folders (including the DVD version's menu language file)

If you get the “Can’t find any game” warning, check that the data folders and files aren’t read-only.
Last edited by korovev on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Yes, sorry, this SHOULD be in the Exile section... Thanks, though. Worked :)
delia

PreviousNext

Return to Riven (PC)