Install/Play Uru: CC on Mac 10.8.2?

For installation issues, account problems, problems entering the game, etc.

Install/Play Uru: CC on Mac 10.8.2?

Postby delia » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Does anyone know how to install Uru on Mac 10.8.2?

Thank you!
delia

Re: Install/Play Uru: CC on Mac 10.8.2?

Postby Ainia » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi delia,

Have you read through this thread yet? It doesn't really discuss your specific OS version, but it should get you started on installing Uru:CC on your Mac.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks, Ainia :)

I'm still not too clear on exactly what I need here though...

Should I be getting 'Cider'? And there was mention of 'making' a wrapper? Do you have any tips/advice/direction for a newbie?

Your help is much appreciated! It has been AWESOME playing all the Myst games! I didn't even know there WERE any games after Myst until a few months ago. Imagine my delight :)

Its too bad almost all of them need a different program to run :? I've probably spent more time puzzling over how to get the games to work than the actual puzzles in the games :lol:

Thankfully, there are all you wonderful gamers willing to help out computer dummies, like me!
delia

Postby korovev » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:36 am

Perhaps this and this threads are more to the point ;)
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:29 pm

OK, so I'm guessing I should be getting Ainia's Wineskin for Uru: CC? Then 'make' a wrapper? Do i need to worry about 'shards' for Ghen and TOC?

Thanks!
delia

Postby Ainia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi delia,

The Wineskins are a type of wrapper (Cider and Crossover are two other types), so if you use one of the ones linked in the discussions, all you need to do is install the wrapper (the same way you would install any Mac application), then double-click the new application and install the Uru:CC software inside it.

All the wrappers linked by korovev in his first link are Wineskin .dmg files I put together. The first two will install Uru:CC, the first as a standalone offline game, the second as an online game for Deep Island. The second two are for the MOULa game via the Gehn Shard and Open Cave Shard, both of which use MOULa source and add their own enhancements to it.

For the first two dmg files, you will need to have the Windows Uru:CC software downloaded/available first; the wrapper installation procedure will prompt you to browse to the Uru:CC software so it can complete the installation process. If you want to install from an original set of Uru:CC discs, it's more complicated. It's far easier to install from a downloadable DRM-free Windows application instead (such as the one available from gog.com).

You may decide to "go crazy" and try them all! But to get started, it's probably easiest to learn the ropes by installing the offline Uru:CC and seeing how that goes. ;)
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Ainia,

I only have the CD-Rom Uru: CC version (haha, so yay! More complicated :mrgreen: ) I tried a few of the Wineskin links and kept getting as far as seeing an actual Uru graphic window, then I would get a 'Error- Cannot Load' and a window that disappears too quick to read completely... but it says something about 'if Uru is not installed in c/drive it may not work'... (<thats obviously not the exact message but hopefully the gist of it). Problem is, if not installing to c/drive is the issue (and maybe thats not it at all...), I don't know HOW to get it installed in c/drive. I just followed the Wineskin prompts. Does that make any sense?

Lol, sorry, I'm not great with this stuff...

*Edit*:
I should clarify~ I did make a (Uru) folder in 'MacintoshHD' + copied the Uru disk 1 into it. If that makes any difference in this case...
Last edited by delia on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
delia

Postby Ainia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 am

Hi delia,

It hard to tell if you have installed the game successfully and are trying to run it for the first time, or are stuck somewhere with the installation process.

Most of the problems with the original CDs and a Mac Wineskin are connected with the old configuration/protection that requires the CD to be mounted and running in your CD/ROM drive in order for the game to work. This doesn't work very well (if at all) when trying to run the game via a Wineskin on a Mac. The best workaround is to find and install the official No-CD patch. (You may need to right click and download the link as it goes directly to a zip file.) The patch consists of four files that will need to be swapped out for the identically-named files in your Wineskin (which means you will need to drill down into your Wineskin app and find the files). As I said, this is more complicated.

If you're struggling with getting the game to install at all, then this is probably a different problem. In that case, it really depends on how much you are willing to struggle with this (vs. spending a few bucks on a DRM-free version via GOG.com or Steam). Right now, it's on sale at GOG.com for half off ($5US). For me, it would be worth the expense to avoid the struggle and hours of troubleshooting, but some folks enjoy the challenge of getting such things to work. :)
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 am

Ainia~

For your URU:CC (.dmg) link, when I right-click, I don't have the option to 'download linked file'...?

*Another edit*:
I am stuck in the installation process, never played Uru before :)
delia

Postby delia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 am

OK, I got the GOG version. So now I need to try getting Wineskin to work?
delia

Postby delia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Hummm, well, I'm trying to get/use Korovev's premade wrapper (1718?), but when it opened I got an Uru Live window that says it is 'updating' and that there is 11hrs+ remaining :?

I still don't know how to get Ainia's wrapper (.dmg), as I don't have the option to 'download linked file' when I right click (no idea what .dmg means, but I tried downloading anyway, but of course it told me I had read only permissions).
When I right-click my only options are:
- open link in new tab
- open link in new window
- open link in new incognito window
- save link as
- copy link address
- copy
- search google for uru:cc
- print
- inspect element
- look up in dictionary :lol:
- speech
- search with google
- add to itunes as a spoken track

Now what?

Many thanks :)
delia

Postby korovev » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

delia wrote:I still don't know how to get Ainia's wrapper (.dmg), as I don't have the option to 'download linked file' when I right click (no idea what .dmg means, but I tried downloading anyway, but of course it told me I had read only permissions).

save link as = download linked file. Or option-click.
DMG is an archive format (more like ISO than ZIP).

delia wrote:Hummm, well, I'm trying to get/use Korovev's premade wrapper (1718?), but when it opened I got an Uru Live window that says it is 'updating' and that there is 11hrs+ remaining :?

Yes, it’s set up to automatically install Uru Live, but it can be used for Uru CC as well, by pointing* it to the installer first, and then to UruSetup.exe. 1718 stands for wine version 1.7.18 (and wrapper version 2.6.0).

* Right-click (ctrl-click) on the wrapper, select Show Package Content, launch Wineskin, click on Install Software, then Choose Setup Executable, then select the *.exe installer. While you have the wrapper open, you might want to delete the Uru Live folder inside drive_c/Program Files.
KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks, Korovev.

Since I already have it, I tried your wrapper 1st. I've tried a few times now, but obviously I am still doing something wrong... The 1st time I thought maybe it was because I forgot to move the GOG version to MacHD. That now done, I am still getting the same error...

Opened Wineskin> Install Software> Choose Setup Executable> setup_uru_cc_2.0.0.5.exe (what I got from GOG)

Then I get an 'Oops, no new executable found' error.

What am I doing wrong?
delia

Postby Ainia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi delia,

Ok, just to be sure you were able to navigate the Wineskin wrapper menus, here's a detailed explanation of what should happen when installing Uru:CC.

Here's the menu you should see when you double-click an empty Wineskin wrapper:
If you click the "Install Windows Software" button, you should then be prompted to find the game installer (setup_uru_cc_2.0.0.5.exe) and then the game installer *should* run and install everything properly inside the wrapper. You'll need to tick the EULA checkbox and hit "Next" (or something similar) and then just wait as it chugs along...

Once the software finishes installing, you should see this Wineskin wrapper menu:
You'll want to use the "Browse" button and then find and select the UruSetup.exe file.

If this is what you've tried and things stalled when the software *should* have been installing, then it may mean the GOG download is incomplete or corrupted, in which case you will need to try redownloading from your GOG bookshelf. If you haven't already used it, you may find the GOG download app can help with ensuring the download is completed successfully. If the download process is interrupted, the tool is pretty reliable about picking things up where it left off and finishing the job later (whereas the Safari download is less robust and often won't recognize a download is incomplete).

---
And as korovev explained, "Save link as" is the same as "Download". For reasons I'll never fathom, Safari doesn't make the "download this" option very obvious/intuitive in its menu choices.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby delia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 pm

I just tried the 'save link as' with your link too. I MUST be doing something wrong :(

The Wineskin window I get only has 'Install Software' NOT 'Install Windows Software'.

I click ^ install button + get the option to 'Choose Setup Executable' or 'Copy a folder Inside' or 'Move a folder Inside'.

I've tried all 3 of the above buttons now (although move + copy opts. have '...setup.exe' faded.

Ugh. I keep getting the same error :(
delia

Next

Return to Technical Discussion