Question about Obduction kickstarter backing via Paypal

Question about Obduction kickstarter backing via Paypal

Postby talldarkmystere » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I've put down $100 via Paypal so far, but don't see that I've backed any projects on Kickstarter.
I know that Kickstarter doesn't use Paypal, and that the account is separate from kickstarter.
I'm just curious, how are paypal backings applied to the total on kickstarter? When? How much of an offset toward the total does paypal make up? How much of that is lost in paypal fees?
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Re: Question about Obduction kickstarter backing via Paypal

Postby LuigiHann » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Paypal donations will go to the project, but they don't count toward the Kickstarter goal at all :(
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:29 pm

What?!?

I had thought that at least, someone was backing the kickstarter with the paypal donations, thus counting toward the goal.

If that is not the case, then I am sorely disappointed, since kickstarter won't fund the project unless it meets it's goals in the time alloted (that I recall)
KI #107622

talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby MoP » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Yep, that's how it works importunately. Paypal is for folks that for whatever reason can't use Kickstarter; that's why usually project creators enable the option only after the Kickstarter goal is reached. Might've been a better move for Cyan to do the same.
But then again, there's no way the campaign won't at least reach the goal, so don't fret, Your donation is well spent I'm sure ;)
Known in the Cavern as Seba
KI# 261951
MoP
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 am

In his recent interview, http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat/b/476050041 - it starts at 1.00.00 but I'm afraid I don't remember when he said it - Rand said they'd got $7k so far via paypal so it doesn't sound like it's going to swell the coffers hugely, but as you say it's well worth doing.
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 am

I know this falls into the category of "My Bad" but I put in $500 with the intention of going to $850 to get my own Easter Egg. Seems like that can't happen so I'll stay with the first amount. There should be a way to fix this... right?

Shor
Play nice Shorahmin, play nice...
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby rivenwanderer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 am

I know it can't count towards the all-or-nothing Kickstarter base funding, but I hope the PayPal donations can count towards the stretch goals :)
rivenwanderer
Obduction Backer

Postby WeldFord » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Shorahmin wrote:I know this falls into the category of "My Bad" but I put in $500 with the intention of going to $850 to get my own Easter Egg. Seems like that can't happen so I'll stay with the first amount. There should be a way to fix this... right?

Shor

I'm not sure if I understood : you pledged 500$ through paypal but now you want to pledge less ?
If so, I guess an email to Cyan should resolve the problem.
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 pm

@Weldford... Nope. My thought was to start with that initial $500. If they started to get close I intended to add the next$350 to qualify for the egg. But now it looks like I won't be able to qualify regardless so I'm going to wait. If they do get funded, I'll add the additional $350 at that time.

Presumably, if the Kick Starter doesn't succeed, they will reimburse the PayPal stuff. Unlike PayPal, which is not a pledge but an actual payment, the Kick Starter donations would never have been collected in that case.
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

This subject has been discussed extensively two weeks ago in the 'Looking Forward to that Kickstarter' thread, which is completely buried by now of course lol ... I actually started it myself, as I also don't have a credit card, which is the main hindrance to partake in an Amazon Payments business we're dealing with here ... :P

On this page and down is the rest of that discussion with all relevant investigations and information, which I finally found with this my last post to that matter with a link to the most interesting and profound information for a complete understanding on a Kickstarter Blog page ... Please, have a look here ... :)

I can summarize here, esp. at this time for Shorahmin and talldarkmystere that your payments are not in vain and that you'll get your rewards and easter eggs or whatever tier you're aiming at with your payments as you can see on this special Obduction Paypal page, which is an exact replica of the Kickstarter pledges page, except that Cyan will have to maintain a seperate accounting and database or sth like that ... I hope that'll encourage anyone having the same suspicions and questions to go ahead and contribute what you can and are aiming at as a reward ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Doh!
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I am not worried at all about getting the tier items, I'm worried about my paypal payments not counting toward the overall goal on kickstarter.

I'm holding out hope that the goal will be met and exceeded, but I had really hoped that my donation would go towards ensuring the kickstarter goal is met. If they don't reach the goal, they don't get the money. I don't want my money back. I want to give more of my money to them. I want Obduction, and more wonderful Cyan worlds that we can explore, and share with our families and friends.
KI #107622

talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 pm

I couldn't have said it better. But here's a question. Why can't Cyan decide to take things if they only get to $1,099,999? Why should KickStarter care?

BTW, I must say it's nice to be back discussing these things after a long absence.
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 am

Shorahmin wrote:I couldn't have said it better. But here's a question. Why can't Cyan decide to take things if they only get to $1,099,999? Why should KickStarter care?

BTW, I must say it's nice to be back discussing these things after a long absence.

Well, the idea behind kickstarter seems to be that you announce a project and a goal that you need to meet. This is base funding. Anything above and beyond is extra.

Frankly, I think that people who want to back a project regardless should be able to opt to donate whether or not the goal is met.

Insofar as that goes, I suppose I'm glad that Paypal is separate. I'm certain that Cyan will get my money (for a long time to come)
KI #107622

talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 am

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Paypal right now does not go toward the overall Kickstarter goal. - (One reason we really haven't been pushing paypal)

However, once we get the 1.1 goal met, both PayPal and any extra Kickstarter money goes toward the stretch goals.

Once this Kickstarter is finished and we have raised our goal, we will keep Paypal open a bit longer. (I don't know how long) This is for anyone who hears about at the last minute and still wants to get in on the action.

If, and I really hope this doesn't happen, we do not get our base level of funding on Kickstarter, the project goes on a backburner and all Paypal funding is returned to the backers.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)