Obduction on DVD

Obduction on DVD

Postby Slightlybartfast » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:36 pm

I missed being able to donate to the kickstarter due to heavy financial issues, does anyone know if obduction is being released on dvd as well as online for general release? I know the purchase page of the obduction site shows only electronic copies.
Slightlybartfast

Re: Obduction on DVD

Postby Altairien » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:36 am

obduction.com >> About >> FAQ >> Will Obduction be distributed digitally or will I be able to buy a physical disc?
Currently our plans are that Obduction will only be distributed digitally, with the exception of the boxed copies that are offered via PayPal and Kickstarter.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby zeke3651 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:42 am

It will be released digitally on steam no physical copies expect the ones who kickstarted it.
zeke3651
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm

zeke3651 wrote:It will be released digitally on steam...

...and GOG, Mac App Store, Humble Bundle and the Oculus Store(1) for PC, Mac, and Oculus Rift.(2)

(1) obduction.com >> About >> FAQ >> Which digital distributors will you use for Obduction?
Currently we're working with Steam, GOG, Mac App Store, Humble Bundle and the Oculus Store.

(2) obduction.com >> About >> FAQ >> What platforms are available?
Obduction will initially be available on PC, Mac, and Oculus Rift.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Slightlybartfast » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:41 am

cheers guys!
Slightlybartfast

Postby HyperionTitanOfLight » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47 am

I bought a boxed version that I will hold onto for 10 years then sell for $5,000! :)
HyperionTitanOfLight
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:16 am

HyperionTitanOfLight wrote:I bought a boxed version that I will hold onto for 10 years then sell for $5,000! :)

It's nice to have goals. :lol:
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby HyperionTitanOfLight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:22 am

Tomala wrote:
HyperionTitanOfLight wrote:I bought a boxed version that I will hold onto for 10 years then sell for $5,000! :)

It's nice to have goals. :lol:

lol more like "pie in the sky dreams" I'll tell you what... You pay me $4,000 today and it's all yours! You will profit the extra $1,000 in a few years time! Waddya say! :P
HyperionTitanOfLight
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:49 am

Gog.com is DRM free, so you could make your own DVDs if you bought that version. If it's too expensive to download(in terms of data), you could get a friend to make DVDs for you.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby lofll » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Gog.com is DRM free, so you could make your own DVDs if you bought that version.

Steam allows you to make a DVD installer as well (it will split it into multiple files.) Any digital version can be put on any storage media as far as I know. But I assume OP wanted the box and the manual and the case etc.
lofll

Postby markV » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:25 am

lofll wrote:Steam allows you to make a DVD installer as well (it will split it into multiple files.)

How would you do that, exactly? I wouldn't mind making an installer for it on discs. And a custom box to sit on my shelf next to the other games.

lofll wrote:But I assume OP wanted the box and the manual and the case etc.

You are probably correct. I know I would love to get a boxed version myself, as I missed out on the kickstarter and would have easily pledged to get one. (Still would, if you have any extra copies lying around, Cyan! Or anybody else! :roll: )

And while I know that Cyan is not really looking to release a boxed copy, I have found many digital-only releases end up with boxed copies in European countries, so, maybe that'll happen!
markV

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 am

markV wrote:
lofll wrote:Steam allows you to make a DVD installer as well (it will split it into multiple files.)

How would you do that, exactly? I wouldn't mind making an installer for it on discs. And a custom box to sit on my shelf next to the other games.

It doesn't make a self-installer like GOG, but Steam does have the ability to back up files in DVD (or CD) sized chunks:
  • Steam
  • Library
  • Games
  • Right-click Obduction
  • Backup Game Files...
  • Next
  • Next
  • Select the file size here
Obduction takes 2 DVDs or 14 CDs. You'll still need Steam to install the game, but you wouldn't need to download the game again.

markV wrote:
lofll wrote:But I assume OP wanted the box and the manual and the case etc.

You are probably correct. I know I would love to get a boxed version myself, as I missed out on the kickstarter and would have easily pledged to get one. (Still would, if you have any extra copies lying around, Cyan! Or anybody else! :roll: )

And while I know that Cyan is not really looking to release a boxed copy, I have found many digital-only releases end up with boxed copies in European countries, so, maybe that'll happen!

Perhaps Cyan will eventually release the box art in a form that would allow players to print their own? If not, someone is bound to scan one of the boxes and make those available.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:54 am

It would fit nicely onto a BlueRay if you have a burner.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby markV » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks for the instructions! Although I will wait a bit to make sure I have the best possible version, as I do not want to have to reburn/add update discs constantly.

Altairien wrote:Obduction takes 2 DVDs or 14 CDs. You'll still need Steam to install the game, but you wouldn't need to download the game again.

While I am a bit on the old fashioned side, 14 CDs is a bit much. I remembered when I accidentally scratched disc 3 of Riven...AAARGH! Although at least now I could burn another one. Still, DVDs are the way to go! (Maybe add a CD of the soundtrack for my own limited edition.)

I will admit that I am the kind of customer Frank Zappa mentioned when he was talking about digital distribution. Although I do get the reasons now adays to go digital-only, a box and disc still feels good in the hand.

Altairien wrote:Perhaps Cyan will eventually release the box art in a form that would allow players to print their own? If not, someone is bound to scan one of the boxes and make those available.

Hopefully!
markV

Postby Tahgtahv » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 am

If I've done my math right, you actually need 3 DVDs unless there's some sort of highly compressed download you can get from Steam. The game is 13.8GB, and each DVD is 4.7GB, for a total of 14.1GB of space available.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)