Kickstarter Comments Preserved

Re: Kickstarter Comments Preserved

Postby Mac_Fife » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:04 pm

That was a great effort to do that Janaba, and I'm glad that someone actually thought to preserve those comments :) - I certainly couldn't have made the time to do it.

I've updated my blog with your latest files.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby janaba1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Acorn and Mac, you are already doing so much, Mac, it is good when there remains sth left for us ... :P

It is great that you updated the files on your blog, I thought you'd do that ... Your post tells already that the files have been updated and replaced with new ones, so I just post the link to the MediaFire folder here again, so no one has to search for it on the other page ... I'd like to make aware again that there's now an additional all in one zip archive (13 PDFs, 16 MB) available for those with a more fast and reliable internet connection ... As always enjoy ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby CompChris » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey janaba. This is great! :)

I decided to try a few things with your PDFs, and it's very possible that I will be able to get a fully searchable, portable, version of the comments made during the Kickstarter working. In theory, if this works, anyone will be able to search all of RAWA's Mom's posts and mentions by simply typing in the name (for instance). Another thing would be directly linking to the comments for context. The comments are in order, but will not have dates attached.

I'm looking into making this work. ;)
CompChris
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

CompChris wrote:Hey janaba. This is great! :)

I decided to try a few things with your PDFs, and it's very possible that I will be able to get a fully searchable, portable, version of the comments made during the Kickstarter working. In theory, if this works, anyone will be able to search all of RAWA's Mom's posts and mentions by simply typing in the name (for instance). Another thing would be directly linking to the comments for context. The comments are in order, but will not have dates attached.

I'm looking into making this work. ;)

That would be really handy, Chris!
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Yeah! That'd be awesome, CompChris, just make the best of it ... :P

That's actually the reason why I've made them, and that's how I've set all those bookmarks to the Cyanists and events etc., 'cause those PDFs are completely easily searchable with any PDF reader, or a good one at least (PDF XChange Reader etc.)... With my reader I can even highlight sections as I've done already and add comments and everything, and you just have to enter a name or any term into the search box and get a list of all available entries to that term or name, where I've set the resp. bookmarks etc. ...

Yeah, but go for it if you can make it even more comfortable, that'd be wonderful ... :D
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby CompChris » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Okay. Here we go. :) It took a while to sanitize all of the comments. I have a live copy of it on my web server. Please be gentle, the comments file is delivered in whole when you do a search (it's 3+MB - Don't even attempt to use the search on a cellular connection!), so my host could possibly be calling me up in the morning to tell me to stop with the overuse of resources. :shock:

Click here to use it (I may take this down depending on how much it's (ab)used)

Click here to download your very own offline copy (Please do this!)
CompChris
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 am

Hi CompChris ... this is a neat tool and with that we have now two great versions to comfortably search the KS comments ... To use them and to decide which one to choose one needs to know what is desired and needed ... So, on to the differences ... :P

In general I have to say that your search facility works absolutely smooth and fast and also perfect, enter whatever term or name and you'll receive all available database entries in return ... Here's the point, now you must know what you want resp. what you search for, are you searching for comments by special persons you like e.g. RAWA's Mama and just want to read what she said again independently of what others said, or are you looking for special information someone mentioned at any time and you don't know who e.g. someone 'X' said something great to the Roadtrip Mode or Ryan answered sth important as for Paypal payment or new worlds etc. , just enter the term or the resp. words you remember and hit enter ... Great ...

Be aware that you receive the sheer number of entries containing whatever word or name you search for, and then the real search starts, depending on the number of results ... just enter 'Myst' and you'll have to search through the whole, means hundreds of pages, ok, you see, one must exactly know what one is looking for, choose the 'right' search term and use that search facility accordingly, which requires a certain degree of cleverness (for the narrowing down of the search results to what you're looking for) and then it is fast and reliable ... :)
------------------
The PDF files I have compiled I created with a different approach in mind resp in my heart ... Those were actually made for situations when nostalgia hits on our two-year long wait and path to our next adventure and one just feels to reminisce and indulge in those exciting, encouraging and uplifting energies we've experienced over those awesome weeks of the KS campaign ...

Those 12 files (the 13th contains the posts after the countdown, congrats etc.) contain actually every single comment of course, but with it you have also the beautiful pictures, every single link (links posted, profile link on those pictures, the link to that actual post within the comments on KS itself etc.) and they're all active and working, and you have that real conversation, means the whole context of whatever comment ... When Ryan says 'We're definitely thinking about it' you want to know what was the subject, why is he saying this etc... So, this is giving back the whole conversation and fun of those weeks and all useful stuff/knowledge/links etc. additionally ...
Within your PDF program you can certainly perform an easy search as well, just click your search icon, mostly a magnifying glass to open it, enter e.g. RAWA's Mama or Ryan, Eric Anderson, Roadtrip Mode, luncheon (Horatio, Dimitrios haha) or whatever and you receive a whole list with those terms highlighted, then by clicking them one by one you also have the interesting and/or funny context of that resp. situation and everything incl. (picture, links, info etc.) ... That's how I also set interesting bookmarks to Cyan peeps, events, videos etc., as I've mentioned before, which you only have to click and you're right in the middle of it ... (they are mostly located in a sidebar to the left) ...
What also comes to mind is that I've added the exact times/dates/backers/commenterand $$ count, when the resp. comments and events (also determinable through the mentioned bookmarks) happened, with a little counting one could exactly determine when whatever happened ...

So, phew, here you have it, everyone ... Two useful versions of those days to search through and indulge in for all circumstances and situations, whether you'd like the sheer information e.g. only RAWA comments and special given info by him to a certain subject without the fuss, or you'd really like 'to go back' and have it all again, it's all up to you now ... Enjoy ... :D
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 am

thanks for this helpful explanation, janaba! And thanks to you both for all your hard work :D
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby CompChris » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

janaba1 wrote:Hi CompChris ... this is a neat tool and with that we have now two great versions to comfortably search the KS comments ... To use them and to decide which one to choose one needs to know what is desired and needed ... So, on to the differences ... :P

Thanks janaba1! :) You have a good point. I made a slight modification to make it easier to browse. Now, 250 comments will be displayed on one page (that may be a bit extreme, so I may turn it down a bit).

The second thing is something I forgot to mention before.

If you surf to the search page and press enter in the search box, you will get every single comment together in order from newest to oldest. It's not perfect, but it works.

I agree, the PDFs preserve a lot more of the content, and that this search is not a substitute for them. It does make it possible to browse every single comment without downloading every PDF.

I also want to note that I don't take credit for preserving the comments. That credit goes to you! I tried to make it easier to find specific comments in a different way, and I just wanted have a bit of fun while doing it. ;)

Also, so far, nothing seems to be too bad with the search pages. I'm probably going to leave them up unless something changes.

Thanks!
CompChris
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)