Stretch Goal Choices

Stretch Goal Choices

Postby Shorahmin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:54 pm

You know, I'll take what I can get but... my inclination would have been for another age/world instead of Occulus Rift. And, leave the Road Trip mode off the second one to make another age/world more reachable.

Having said that, it's possible, I suppose, that Cyan is taking the long view and trying to build in some foundations for growing the product in the future. That would be good too, I guess.

And, along that line, will the PayPal donations be enuf to fund the first Stretch Goal if KS falls short?
Play nice Shorahmin, play nice...
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Re: Stretch Goal Choices

Postby Ahlisendar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I agree - I would've preferred if the two stretch goals were reversed.
That having been said, if at all possible I really want to see Roadtrip Mode happen. Because frankly, it's a brilliant idea, I can totally see myself and many other using it a lot.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby pat_trick » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 pm

As I recall during the Hangout on Friday evening, the funding has not necessarily stopped where it is. People can continue to donate through PayPal, and if sufficient funds are raised, they'll make that second stretch goal available.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm

I don't think it's nearly as simple as trading OR for more "content". I hold the personal opinion that OR support is only ever going to benefit a minority of potential Obduction players, so I've got no axe to grind here. From a selfish point of view I'd rather have seen more content up first but I can see the wider picture.

The first stretch wasn't just Oculus Rift: It includes localization too and in the scale of things that's probably a bigger chunk of the $200k delta from base funding than OR is. Localization makes the game more accessible to a wider audience and improves the potential to draw in more backers from non-English speaking regions so that made it a key feature. There were a lot of appeals for OR support at the outset and if it was a (comparatively) low-cost add-in that would appeal to backers then I can see why it found it's way into the first stretch goal.

When you then look at the second stretch goal (and try to discern the third) you see you're looking at a $400k delta to get another world plus the Roadtrip Mode and I suspect the third goal would have got you yet another world and probably at a cost of a further $300k.

So even if you threw out OR and localization to have another world as the first stretch goal we'd have come up about $180k short - but by also spurning the OR supporters and non-English speakers I suspect the total would actually have been much lower than that, possibly even failing to make base funding.

The problem with KS is that things are serial: You get one goal, then the next, then the next in order - You can't get to a total and then decide what the best way to carve up the budget is; you need to declare things up front and sometime that means making some choices that seem to offer the best chance of success.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby ljbade » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm

I hope we get the additional world. But I have a feeling this game will already be big, with unreal engine I think they will be able to make better use of Myst sized worlds.

I am going to keep on PayPaling until we get there.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)