GOG vs. Steam

GOG vs. Steam

Postby JimF » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:39 am

OK, I have never downloaded games from anyplace like GOG or Steam before. I certainly don't want to start flame wars between folks, but I was wondering if there are any tangible differences between using GOG and Steam to get Obduction from. Or, are there basically no differences, kind of like choosing between Target and Best Buy, just your preference...

One thread I did find on the subject said that GOG will let me download just the installer for the game, but with Steam, I have to install some sort of Steam package on my computer to get and use Obduction. Are there other differences?

Thanks,
Jim
JimF
Obduction Backer

Re: GOG vs. Steam

Postby korovev » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:20 am

No differences, especially since the backer email has codes for both.

With Steam you need the client to install the game and update it, but once installed you can bypass the Steam client. The Steam version comes with Achievements.

WIth GOG you can just download the installer, or you can install the GOG Galaxy client and install and update the game from there. As far as I know the GOG version does not come with Achievements, though a few games on GOG do have them.
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 am

I've never used GOG.com but GOG.com is DRM free. This means you can do more with your purchase. I would suggest GOG.com for that reason. This is just my opinion though.

Keep in mind that cracking the Steam version of the game is illegal in the USA(but not necessarily illegal in other countries). Also we can't talk about how to do such a thing on this forum.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby KDeFlane » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:08 am

I am also relatively new to the concept of Steam. If I understand it, multiple people can share a computer and play the game without overwriting each other's saved games by using different Steam account log-ins. Depending on the game, they need to log into different Windows accounts too. (A friend told me about Skyrim putting game files into different subfolders requiring individuals to log into both Windows and Steam under different names to prevent overlap.)

My question for Steam veterans has to do with Windows permissions. If I am only a guest user on my friend's computer, does the system need his admin level login to install the game properly? I am the owner of the install key, so of course I'll need to be logged into Steam under my account and I also want to be logged into Windows as me to play it, but can I install it without Windows admin powers? We'll be trying the download tonight, but we disagree on which Windows login to use.
KDeFlane
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Years ago I had some games that installed a Steam client as part of the package. Never had any use for it so it was just a waste of space. Also, I'd never used GoG before so basically I had no experience of either. Seemed to me that GoG was likely to be the less intrusive option, although to get the download both really require you create an account (I don't really like signing up for any more accounts than I really need as they always end just sending you more junk mail exhorting you to buy more "stuff", but hey-ho). Anyway, GoG worked just fine for me, not too much hassle.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Gonga » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:52 pm

I really like GOG because of the DRM-free aspect. Once you purchase the game, GOG continues to do whatever it takes to make sure it will work with whatever OS you might use in the future, which is another advantage over the old DVD or CD. Steam will also do this. Though with older games, it is true that the DVD/CD versions usually offered more if they worked at all - at full resolution, with all the music, etc.

Steam offers two pretty cool features. One, you can install and uninstall any of your games on any of your computers with a click. Two, you can play a given game on more than one computer. In other words, I can play Obduction tonight on my gaming PC. Then when I travel, I can pick up right where I left off in the game on my laptop. My Steam account keeps track of my progress and will start me right where I left off. I love that feature.
Gonga
Obduction Backer

Postby Haldi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:59 am

Steam does have quite a few advantages. But it's a whole Eco-system.
All games your purchase are Account-Bound, no reselling.
You have to install Steam on your computer, this does come with a few cool Features like: Cloud-Saves, one click install, Video/Screen shot Recording and Braodcasting, a Shop, Friendslist and Chats, an InHome-Streaming function to stream to a HTPC or Laptops.

Good old Games, as it was known before they shortend it to GoG.com is simply a Download platform that provides DRM-Free Games from ages ago and Today.
There is the GoG Galaxy Launcher that allows for 1Click Install and Updates games as steam does, but you don't have to use it.
Simply having an account on the Webpage allows you to purchase games and Download them directly from the Website.

I'd recomment GoG over Steam any time.
There are enough games out there that force you to use Steam.
Wait... why do i even have a signature?
Haldi

Postby mszv » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I really like the Steam ecosystem, but it is what works for you. I like the cloud saves, how you can download your games to different machines, how it keeps track of your games, including patches, the steam groups, all that. I've had a steam account for years but I have not been an active gamer for some time. i just ordered 6 more games, including two remastered games. I used steam for Obduction.

I've also just ordered the steam controller so I can play steam games on my TV. I do not know how well this will work with Obduction, because the game is listed as having partial controller support. We will see.

If none of that appeals to you, GOG might be a better download source for you. GOG also lets you redownload your purchases, which is a great thing, and they have a nice selection of games.

Downloads - as annoying as it is to wait for a download, i'm old enough to remember the days of boxed games only - heck I have some recent boxed sets from my MMORPGS. The boxes are pretty, but I'm really enjoying digital downloads. But I have not sold games nor, for the most part bought used games. There is no market for used PC games anymore, as far as I can tell. We'll see how it works with the new platforms on the xbox and playstation. The console platforms aren't really there yet, in terms of going all digital.
mszv, amarez in Uru, other online games, never use mszv anymore, would like to change it
Blog - http://www.amarez.com, Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze
mszv
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:Keep in mind that cracking the Steam version of the game is illegal in the USA

Does double-clicking Obduction.exe in the SteamApps\common\Obduction folder, without the Steam launcher on, qualify as ‘cracking’ in the USA?

korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:30 pm

I'm Candain so I have not paid that much attention to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but I think double-clicking an executable is a 'standard' way to run a program or game. For this reason I don't think it would count as 'cracking' the game.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby pat_trick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:57 pm

korovev wrote:Does double-clicking Obduction.exe in the SteamApps\common\Obduction folder, without the Steam launcher on, qualify as ‘cracking’ in the USA?

No.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Oh, so once the game is installed, you can forget about the Steam launcher (unless you plan to have the game updated, of course). Not that much different from the GOG version, isn’t it? ;)

korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby pat_trick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:11 pm

korovev wrote:Oh, so once the game is installed, you can forget about the Steam launcher (unless you plan to have the game updated, of course). Not that much different from the GOG version, isn’t it? ;)

Not necessarily; there are likely a few Steam integrations on the Steam version so that it can recognize things like achievements, the Steam Overlay, and so forth.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:14 am

My point still stands: Steam does not force you to use its services; those who want to ‘just play Obduction’ can in fact do it ;) .

Although, you probably need the launcher open to record achievements; in my understanding games merely send ‘signals’ to the launcher to register.

korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:14 am

Let the reader beware that some games do require the use of Steam.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)