GOG vs. Steam

Re: GOG vs. Steam

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:11 am

Jamie Marchant wrote:Let the reader beware that some games do require the use of Steam.

Very true.

I think the point was most people assume that all Steam games require Steam, but not all of them require Steam even if they utilize some of Steam's features beyond getting game updates.

On the other side, you also must run GOG Galaxy to access Galaxy features, but none of GOG's games require Galaxy.

I use both. I buy more on Steam, but I've bought plenty on GOG, many of them are duplicates.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:55 am

Indeed, most likely Valve ones ;) .
One way to check is to right-click on a game, then select Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files. If you can find an *.exe that can be launched by itself, you can make a link and move it where you like.

A nice (and generally little-known) service is GOG Connect, which allows you to activate some games on GOG if you have them on Steam. Of course, being competitors, very few games are available, and when they are it’s just for a limited time, but it’s worth checking.

Also, it’s worth reminding that both GOG and Steam have a collection of Cyan games ;) .
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:51 am

I've seen games with an 'exe' extension that need Steam to run.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)