Obduction Dawn

Obduction Dawn

Postby Ainia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Greetings everyone,

We are at the beginning of something exciting, awesome and brand new. In a way, we are witnessing the rebirth of our favorite world-builders, the good folks at Cyan. As I watched their Hangout early this morning, while they were drinking their mimosas and eating their bagels in Spokane's pre-dawn darkness, a lovely sunrise began here at The Cleft. Listening to their cheerful chatter in the background while watching this beauty in the New Mexico skies seemed not merely inspirational but a foreshadowing of sorts, for we are at the beginnings of a path which will take us from the Mysty places we know into new worlds far beyond.

And so I wanted once again to congratulate everyone at Cyan on the enormous admiration, generosity and genuine affection they inspire in their legions of fans, for this is what has enabled this new dawn. Along with everyone else, I am eagerly awaiting the next delightful, wondrous and genuinely beautiful work of art they will gift to us. And I will be cheering them on from the sidelines.

If today's skies are anything to judge by, then the next two years are gonna be an amazing ride; and the trip beyond that will be nothing short of incredible. Cyantists and fans alike, enjoy these small tokens from my little corner of New Mexico.

Sunrise:

Sunset:

To quote the Diné, may we all walk in beauty.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Re: Obduction Dawn

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Great tribute and pics, Ainia! I, too, feel a new day has dawned for those of us who love extraordinary experiences, both in the real world, and in our digital ones. I've been waiting for a new game like this for a long time, and am thrilled to see it finally coming our way.

Here's to Obduction! :)
Freelance Writer

Staff Writer for AdventureGamers.com
Owner/Blogmaster of WriteFullCircle.com

Follow my Twitter: @WriteFullCircle

Known in the cavern as Ghal'vhen
KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:47 am

Thank you for this celebration, Ainia, and for your beautiful pics.

Do you have the same rhyme in the US: "Red sky at night - shepherd's delight; red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning"?

It feels fitting: we have the delight at the sunset - the end of the kickstarter and its happy result :mrgreen: - but, seeing what happened to Ryan in the final video, we can be sure the red sky in the morning is definitely a warning! :shock:
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:26 am

What a cool spot you have their.

I can't wait for Obduction.

In fact I have been motivated by the kick starter to redo Uru but online this time (I have finished the single player many years ago). Just finished the Cleft age!

I am also itching to speculate about Obduction but the Kickstarter comments and forum has gone rather quiet the last few hours. Can't wait for the backer's section.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby jakewashere » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 am

Acorn1 wrote:Do you have the same rhyme in the US: "Red sky at night - shepherd's delight; red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning"?

We do, but I've always heard it applied in nautical terms: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight; Red sky at morning, sailor take warning." Seems both shepherds and sailors owe it to themselves to learn to judge the oncoming weather.
jakewashere
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:08 pm

You know the weirdest thing? That rhyme always reminds me of tasty shepherds pie, and when I eat sheperd's pie I think of the rhyme.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Mowog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Mmmmmm, shepherd's pie! One of my favorites.

Thanks so much for the beautiful photos! I dearly love mountains, but fate has planted me here in the Mississippi River valley of Missouri, where the nearest mountains of any consequence are many hours away. So thanks for taking us to your mountains through your photos!

I agree, the feeling we have now, at the dawning of Obduction, is a feeling that brings back many fond memories of the similar dawnings of Myst, Riven, Uru, etc. It's really exciting to know that our friends at Cyan are once again setting out to do what they do best; bringing us wondrous worlds and the stories they tell. It's going to seem like a very long two years, and I hope Cyan stays in touch and fans the fires while they're working and we're waiting.

Shorah,

Mowog
MOUL KI: 174162

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Great photos, Ainia. Isn't it strange how a simple display of changing color and light can have such a profound effect on our mental processes, state of mind, and sometimes, creativity?

In my travels, I often find myself 'chasing sunsets.' After a day in a customer's lab, I timed my trip to the top of the Sandia Crest on the tram so I could watch the sun go down. On a trip to Tucson, I made it to Grants Pass after work just in time to watch the sun set over the Painted Desert. On another trip, I drove all day on my one day off to reach the south rim of the Grand Canyon for that last hour of daylight to watch the light and shadows play across the sky and canyon. Walking the beaches in Maine and Oregon, as the day fades away... and just occasionally, I'll have the time, and timing, to appreciate some of those special sunrises. Some of my colleagues and customers seemed to think me a 'little strange', even for an engineer. :ugeek: I guess there are worse things to be 'addicted' to. ;)

I'm afraid I only have one sunset shot posted at the moment HERE, taken from my side yard at home.
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Robin
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey Robin,

Glad you enjoyed the pics! I see you have visited those mountain views before, though probably from the other side... ;)

And your beautiful sunset sky is plagued by the bane of my own photo expeditions--power lines! :( *sigh*, we have to make do as best we can...

Since you are a fellow collector of skies, you might be interested to look at the pics I posted here (assuming you hadn't already found them, of course).

And I agree, there are certainly worse addictions out there! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Robin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Actually, I managed to go up that range from both sides. I usually try to give myself a little extra time before my scheduled return flights just in case something 'unexpected' comes up at the last minute. While I would have preferred to hike up, I only had enough time to drive up to the visitor center from the east side at near noon. Deep blue sky, with bright white clouds, and thin, cold air that would have required a slower-paced climb, but the views were worth it. :D

Yeah, I don't get good clear views of the sunrise and sunsets from home, so I seldom bother taking photos here, which may explain why I chase sunsets when traveling. I specifically chose that angle with the wires to divide and frame this particular sunset and the bright/darker areas. If I couldn't get away from poles and wires, I figured I might best incorporate them as best I could. My illustration instructor from my early college days was particularly impressed with how I used light and shadow to tell stories, especially with my photo studies. ;)
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Robin
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)