Next move ?

Next move ?

Postby Zarx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Hello everyone,
I've read from here and there that a linux port was under investigation. Some of those topics or comments from Cyan on kickstater are quite a bit old now (arround 2
years already). Now it seems that the dev team is actually fixing bugs from the recent public release on windows platform and they're also focusing on VR that should be in near futur. So, after those efforts, what's next ? Do you plan to make this game multi-platform ?

Thank's for reading.
Zarx
Zarx

Re: Next move ?

Postby pat_trick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:47 pm

If you're getting at whether they will release the game on Linux, I do not think that is their current focus.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Q. Will there be a Linux version?
A. Our initial plans don't include Linux. We will not have a Linux version at launch.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Zarx » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 am

Anyone from Cyan to answer about this ?
Zarx

Postby a.sterbini » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:15 am

LOL ... probably Obduction is one of the few reasons I still keep a window 10 partition on my laptop :)
a.sterbini

Postby JWPlatt » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:15 am

Linux is a very small game market - half that of Macs on Steam - and the number of games on Mac are minuscule compared to the PC. Multi-platform development under engines like Unity3D or Unreal make exporting to Linux easier, but does it work? No as much yet.

See this chart for the number of games on Steam since 2013:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

If your living and your family depended on the success of your game business, which platform would you put your efforts into? Cyan should be, and probably is, concentrating on the most effective value to its revenues before moving on to making just a few, specific people happy. And even then, the extra revenue represented by any efforts to obtain marketshare with Mac and Linux is better spent on development of The Next Thing.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby Zarx » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:35 am

Sure the share market is a big factor to take in account and I am agree with priorities. Anyway the linux community is comprehensive about the difficulty to port things to their plateform and and is usually willing to support any great project like obduction. Steam statistic are great but does not reflect the reallity : how many users does not have the choise but to buy a windows product and to run them under a virtual machine or product like "wine" or even make a partition dedicated to windows because of their favorite games not running on their plateform ? More and more people get used to ubuntu-like system, more and more AAA titles are ported to linux so why not Obduction ?
See the page : http://steamcommunity.com/app/306760/di ... 766098915/
Search Google and take a look at the numerous threads about "how to play Riven on linux".
I am sure it would pay off in the long run.
Zarx

Postby Tomala » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:32 pm

I'd like to see it working properly on at least one platform before they branch out to others.
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)