CYAN, Darned if they do, Darned if they don't!

CYAN, Darned if they do, Darned if they don't!

Postby Indafissure » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:56 am

I understand that some people are frustrated that Obduction will not run or runs badly on their PC, but just what were CYAN meant to do?
It's unrealistic to expect CYAN to make a game that will run on Myst era beige boxes, after all, didn't we want a modern day game with AAA graphics and an immersive sandbox environment, well, that's what we got and considering the budget they worked with I think the game is amazing.

Some people considered that those people who don't play a lot of games or don't play newer AAA games and don't have a reasonable gaming spec PC would have issues playing Obduction and might boycott the game once they knew the required system specs, but again, what were CYAN supposed to do? CYAN want to produce the best game they can, do you really expect them to produce a brilliant game and then dumb it down!

Some people have said that if CYAN had issued system specs at the time of the Kickstarter campaign they would not have backed it but that is a totally unrealistic expectation, producing Obduction was clearly a massive learning curve for CYAN using UE4, and don't forget that when CYAN were asked 'What are the system requirements? they said in Q & A on the Kickstarter page right from the beginning, 'Sorry, but as you might have guessed we haven't released any system requirements yet.' Which isn't surprising considering they had not really started the game, what were they supposed to say?

If CYAN had made a game that didn't look good they would have been criticised so they made an amazing looking game and not surprisingly it needs a decent PC to get the best from it but that's what todays games require, just like if you want to watch HD TV you need to buy a HD TV..welcome to the world of AAA gaming, Obduction ain't Myst!
Last edited by Indafissure on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Indafissure

Re: CYAN, Darned if they do, Darned if they don't!

Postby Tai'lahr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:25 am

I was one of those concerned that my current system wouldn't handle the game when I saw the system requirements, but my attitude is that I want and expect Cyan to make the best game they can with cutting edge technology and I'll just have to upgrade my system like I did for Myst, Riven, and Uru. :)
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Indafissure » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:48 am

Tai'lahr wrote:I was one of those concerned that my current system wouldn't handle the game when I saw the system requirements, but my attitude is that I want and expect Cyan to make the best game they can with cutting edge technology and I'll just have to upgrade my system like I did for Myst, Riven, and Uru. :)

Exactly, couldn't have put it better! I have upgraded and built a few new PC's over the years to play the latest games, 'But can it play Crysis'?..'But can it play Obduction'?
Indafissure

Postby pat_trick » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 am

Remember, Myst came out in 1993. Riven was released in 1997. Uru was released in 2003.

It's currently 2016, 23 years since Myst, and 13 years since Uru. Technology has changed drastically in that timespan, the Internet has become a backbone of the modern age, graphics have improved dramatically, and one cannot expect to run applications released today on what are, as far as the technological timescale is concerned, ancient systems.

This is further compounded by the fact that many modern Macintosh systems do not have a dedicated discrete graphics card anymore, a move made by Apple to both reduce costs for what they see as a niche requirement, as well as the improvement of on-chip graphics systems from Intel to what is "good enough" for most basic graphics needs.

The technical requirements for a Real Time rendered environment (versus static images like Myst or Riven) are fairly steep, especially with the work that Cyan has put into the art side of things, considering the particle effects and other cool flashy features.

Yes, there's an argument to be made that if a computer is running well and reliably, it should be able to run anything. However, this is like saying because a Steam Engine runs well, it should be used to fly an airplane.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm glad they went all-out. After all, Uru was hard to run when it came out, but because they focused on making it look good it STILL looks good. Making Obduction as pretty as possible means that Obduction will be pretty for decades.
Twitch

Postby markV » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Twitch wrote:I'm glad they went all-out. After all, Uru was hard to run when it came out, but because they focused on making it look good it STILL looks good. Making Obduction as pretty as possible means that Obduction will be pretty for decades.

I agree there. Cyan did a fantastic job and do not need to change anything.

RealMyst was another one that was a PITA to run as well, if I remember correctly. Although, I do get some of the complaints, since the way the game was funded, people were asked to buy it before they knew if they could run it, which can be disappointing if you find out you cannot.

However, the minimum requirements are really not that unreasonable and as Tai'lahr said, you might have to upgrade your system a bit; which is kinda par for the course, not only with Cyan (why most people bought a CD drive the first time around), but with developers in general now as the current computer generation has made a bit of a leap for hardware requirements, and in 7 years will probably do the same again. It is the way things go. (although, since I cannot run Obduction on my Windows 95 Pentium II, it is a shame!)
markV

Postby rubi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Excellent point, Indafissure! Thanks for mentioning that.
was R'ubi Mai in MOUL
rubi
Obduction Backer

Postby Rudolfson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 am

I funded/bought Obduction because I wanted it to come into existence. I also wanted a boxed version. That was as far as my thoughts went.
--- I know what I like and I like what I know ---
Rudolfson

Postby Indafissure » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:07 am

Rudolfson wrote:I also wanted a boxed version.

Yes and that, hopefully I will receive it soon, have you got your copy yet?
Indafissure

Postby Tahgtahv » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:01 am

No, they are not yet fulfilling physical rewards. I'm sure there will be an announcement when they do.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Obduction's coming soon motivated me to get an Alienware Area-51 (Oculus Ready). The game is absolutely everything I had hoped it to be. So is my nice new machine. I'm a very happy camper.
Play nice Shorahmin, play nice...
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 pm

I have gone almost the Same route - A New Alienware Area 51 R2 BUT it arrived damaged and unresponsive. It refuses to POST

Dell has sent 2 different Techs to my home in an attempt to repair it (Motherboard, Power supply and all 3 Titan X's have been replaced) :twisted: so far they have failed in their repair attempt :evil:

So I continue to play Obduction on my Alienware M18 Notebook (the only problem that I have had with the game (so far) is that it refuses to play in 3D)
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm

I had already decided that it was time to upgrade my desktop machine. When I built it, I'd tried to "future-proof" it as much as it was practical, and it has lasted for over a decade.

Cyan and Obduction provided just another set of data for specifying my next system. Yes, I've built another "high end" system, again with "future-proofing" in mind, but the immediate payoff is that Obduction runs beautifully with everything maxed-out, and I'm looking forward to utilizing VR in the (near) future.

The technology will keep moving forward, and the only way a company such as Cyan can hope to compete is to follow where that technology leads. The trick is to stay within the reach of most of their potential customers, yet not be outdated before the product is released. So far, I think they've managed to hit that balance pretty well over the years. Just remember, if you had a machine that would play URU well, you were almost certain to be ready for Windows XP, Vista, and 7 once they came along, without further hardware upgrades.
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Robin
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Cyan has always used new technologies to bring their creative vision into being, and to be blunt, I don't think it's reasonable to expect that they will hold themselves back from their potential so they could perpetually cater to a minority of gamers who refuse to ever update their systems.

For the record, I say that as someone who had to buy a completely new computer system to run the game, and who saved up for a year to be able to do so because I don't have a whole lot of money - so I'm not speaking of something I was personally unaffected by.

Even with that being the case, I think Cyan made the right call. How it affects me personally is less important than Cyan's ability to pour all the resources at their disposal into creating their art. Cyan simply can't do that using outdated technology while the rest of their industry (i.e. their competition) moves on and leaves them in the dust.

I think that with the amount of time that has passed since Cyan last released a major adventure game project, some nostalgia goggles have set in, but the reality is that Cyan has always pushed the envelope in terms of technology. This is not something new. CD-ROM drives were not universal when Myst was released. When RealMyst and Uru were released (particularly the former,) 3D technology was still relatively new and was pretty punishing to lower-end systems.

I highly doubt very many of us long-time fans played Uru on the same computer we played the original Myst on - and there was less time between those game releases than there has been between Uru and Obduction. It's tempting for the fandom to freeze time at Uru and make it the be all and end all, but that just isn't an accurate view of the history of the Myst series or the trajectory that Cyan has always taken with their game development.

Cyan cares about their fans, but the reason they have fans is their courage to follow their own vision. I hope they never stop doing that.

Regarding the Kickstarter specifically, I'm going to be blunt again. Kickstarter is a risk, for the backers as well as for the developers. There is no guarantee that a project you back will even make it to completion. You are not guaranteed to see a result from your pledge. If that scenario - receiving no return - is unacceptable to you, then you should not be backing any crowdfunding efforts, from Cyan or anyone else. And that's perfectly okay. If you do back, you need to understand what you're getting into. Crowdfunding simply happens too early in the process in most cases for a developer to give system requirements at that time, and a pledge is not a guarantee that the game will run on your system. If you want a guarantee, wait for a finished product. Crowdfunding will never give you that, for Cyan or any other company. Contribute to a Kickstarter if you are willing to take the risk to help ensure a project gets born.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)